Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Software Development or CS
I'll be graduating with a BSBA in Accounting from TESU in June (Finally!). I'm interested in learning how to program and was looking into a software development "bootcamp" to start after I graduate, but now I'm thinking that a BS at WGU might be the smarter option. Specifically the BS in Software Development or Computer Science depending on when it becomes available. 

Does anyone have experience with the Software Dev degree or any other WGU degree for that matter? If so, what has been your experience? How many competencies do you generally complete per term? How is the curriculum delivered? Etc. Also, will they accept a BS from TESU to waive all of the gen ed courses?
(02-17-2018, 05:46 PM)Btaylor89 Wrote: I'll be graduating with a BSBA in Accounting from TESU in June (Finally!). I'm interested in learning how to program and was looking into a software development "bootcamp" to start after I graduate, but now I'm thinking that a BS at WGU might be the smarter option. Specifically the BS in Software Development or Computer Science depending on when it becomes available. 

Does anyone have experience with the Software Dev degree or any other WGU degree for that matter? If so, what has been your experience? How many competencies do you generally complete per term? How is the curriculum delivered? Etc. Also, will they accept a BS from TESU to waive all of the gen ed courses?

I have nothing for the first part, but know that the BS will cover all of your Gen Eds.  I would say that if you decide that you want to do the WGU degree, you go through and figure out what else you can do inexpensively before you enroll.  Not only will they take the GE's, but they will take a lot of other coursework/exams for major requirements.  For instance, with the SW Dev degree, you can transfer in Intro to IT, a Networks course, a Data Management course, a course in C++ or Java, and Project Management - all courses that can be done inexpensively through the ways we discuss here on this forum.  While you're actually paying so not "saving" money, they will save you time - and that is what's going to save money in the long term, since the fewer courses you need to take at WGU, the fewer terms you can take to finish.

Here's the Transfer Guidelines listings page: https://partners.wgu.edu/transferguidelines
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 902 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard? whiverem 12 1,660 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BS Software Development soon to become Software Engineering MNomadic 26 4,442 03-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  [Request] College of IT - Bachelor's in Software Development - Unofficial Transcript GunslingerParrot 1 1,123 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT akr680 13 3,475 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Software Development reylok 8 3,113 04-11-2020, 01:36 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Professional Development Courses? teacher2 3 3,742 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jsd