Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Software Development
I've worked in software development for a number of years, and I think I could complete software development classes pretty quickly.  If I could spend $7k a year for 2-3 years, and complete a WGU Software Development, that would be great.  I could take the few cert exams pre-WGU, and take some of the other classes at 3rd party sites. I think there is also a "WGU Express" program, where you can take some of the simpler classes. Maybe I could take a college loan to smooth out the costs, since I tend to panic when I have no income.

I have not programmed in Java in long long time, and I never worked in C#, does anyone have any experience with the WGU/SD Jave or C# tracks?  I read online that the original track was Java, but they added C#, and much of the material is still Java-centric. If that is still true, I guess I would just go with the Java track, though at this point I think C# has a brighter future (since Oracle seems intent on profiting from Java).
(04-09-2020, 11:50 AM)reylok Wrote: I've worked in software development for a number of years, and I think I could complete software development classes pretty quickly.  If I could spend $7k a year for 2-3 years, and complete a WGU Software Development, that would be great.  I could take the few cert exams pre-WGU, and take some of the other classes at 3rd party sites. I think there is also a "WGU Express" program, where you can take some of the simpler classes. Maybe I could take a college loan to smooth out the costs, since I tend to panic when I have no income.

I have not programmed in Java in long long time, and I never worked in C#, does anyone have any experience with the WGU/SD Jave or C# tracks?  I read online that the original track was Java, but they added C#, and much of the material is still Java-centric. If that is still true, I guess I would just go with the Java track, though at this point I think C# has a brighter future (since Oracle seems intent on profiting from Java).

Study.com seems to have a bunch of courses that transfer to WGU. I guess I will apply at WGU with my existing credits, and see how many I need to finish.  Then I can take the certs first, use Study.com after that, and finally enroll in WGU.
Yes, Sophia/StraighterLine/Study.com courses all transfer to WGU as general education and will hit some spots for Business/IT degrees.  So, you can do exactly as you mentioned in your second post, but I suggest doing the Study.com courses first as you can take them to prepare you for the certs (if you're taking some CS/CIS/IT courses).  

So, the order will look like this: Apply to WGU for a general evaluation to see what courses are remaining. Finish General Education courses for transfer to WGU, then some Sophia/SL/Study.com for other Business/IT courses, enroll at WGU and take the CERT exams because you would have studied for them and prepared for them with the ACE providers mentioned above.  Lastly, complete the remaining courses that can't be transferred over.

You can take a Coursera Google IT Support Professional course for $49/month, you get 12 credits from it and should transfer over if you're doing the BS in Cloud, but because you're just doing Software Development, it may just transfer 3 or more but for $49, it's a steal!

For your College Algebra and Statistics courses, you can get them from Sophia.org as they're free.  I would do all the courses from Sophia.org by following the two links below, if courses transfer with a similar name as StraighterLine/Study.com, do them at Sophia.org - only do the course from SL/Study.com if not available at Sophia.

WGU Partners: https://partners.wgu.edu/ - CSM Learn https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...78&pid=137
StraighterLine: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...753&pid=67
Study.com: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=67
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • reylok
the "express" is probably WGU Academy
https://academy.wgu.edu/program/it?degree=it
I think its more for people who don't know if IT is for them
so it let's them do a couple of courses for $150 a month without committing to the full $3k

don't think its worth it for you - but check it out anyway
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • reylok
WGU doesn't take any courses older than 5 years, so none of my previous college credit is applicable. I will be starting at zero if I go there.
(04-10-2020, 02:58 PM)reylok Wrote: WGU doesn't take any courses older than 5 years, so none of my previous college credit is applicable. I will be starting at zero if I go there.

Wait they don't take any courses older than 5 years? Like even courses from actual colleges with a letter grade?
"Courses and Certifications used to satisfy Information Technology Requirements must have been completed within five years of first-term start date and certifications must be current/non-expired to be eligible for transfer."

https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Admission/Transfer...y/ta-p/155

only technology courses
so math, english and all that are fine
(04-10-2020, 03:37 PM)bluebooger Wrote: "Courses and Certifications used to satisfy Information Technology Requirements must have been completed within five years of first-term start date and certifications must be current/non-expired to be eligible for transfer."

only technology courses            

My case turned out to be atypical because I went to WGU briefly 8 years ago, and it was technically a re-admission.  I must have misunderstood them because I thought they were saying that in a readmission process, no transferred credits (at all) were accepted  that were older than 5 years, even if they had previously been accepted.  I asked about 3 non-tech classes specifically, and was told no. They confirmed I would be starting with 0 credits if I was re-admitted, so that was the end of that. Last time they accepted 7 classes from B&M colleges that were 15+ years old.
(04-10-2020, 06:00 PM)reylok Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 03:37 PM)bluebooger Wrote: "Courses and Certifications used to satisfy Information Technology Requirements must have been completed within five years of first-term start date and certifications must be current/non-expired to be eligible for transfer."

only technology courses            

My case turned out to be atypical because I went to WGU briefly 8 years ago, and it was technically a re-admission.  I must have misunderstood them because I thought they were saying that in a readmission process, no transferred credits (at all) were accepted  that were older than 5 years, even if they had previously been accepted.  I asked about 3 non-tech classes specifically, and was told no. They confirmed I would be starting with 0 credits if I was re-admitted, so that was the end of that. Last time they accepted 7 classes from B&M colleges that were 15+ years old.

That makes zero sense.  Re-admitted or not, that just doesn't sound right.  I would get some additional info.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 897 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard? whiverem 12 1,654 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BS Software Development soon to become Software Engineering MNomadic 26 4,439 03-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  [Request] College of IT - Bachelor's in Software Development - Unofficial Transcript GunslingerParrot 1 1,123 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT akr680 13 3,475 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Software Development or CS azt579 1 2,004 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Professional Development Courses? teacher2 3 3,742 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jsd