Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help!
I tend to overcomplicate things. This is no exception. Any input would be appreciated... 

I'm 5 courses/exams from a TESU BSBA HR. I need Statistics, English Comp. II, Managerial Communication, Cornerstone, and Capstone. All was well. Until I took a closer look at Charter Oak tonight (I had applied previously)... 

I'm 6 courses/exams from a COSC BSBA General Mgmt.: I'd need 3 ULs, Statistics, Cornerstone, and Capstone. (I don't know if a COSC BSBA w/HR concentration would work out the same. I like the HR AOS, but I'm not married to it.) 

I know my decision shouldn't hinge on cost -- especially because the two institutions aren't far apart on that front -- but I can't help but at least consider it. I'll spare you the breakdown, but it looks my remaining costs for TESU would be $764 more than COSC. 

This calculation assumes I'll have to take the TESU cornerstone (which TESU says I will, because I messed up and didn't transfer in all my credit before they did the academic evaluation). I think that'll be $366 with the Study.com discount. The tally also assumes I'll have to pay $2,200 for the residency requirement waiver with the Study.com discount. (However, today I talked to a TESU advisor who said it'll be $1,800. He reiterated this in an email, so I'm hoping that somehow I'll get it at that price.) 

So basically, if I had been early enough and savvy enough to get the TESU cornerstone waived and more favorable Study.com discount, the TESU and COSC costs remaining would be the same. 

By the way, the additional COSC UL electives required (vs. the LL TESU credits I need) wouldn't really be burdensome. If I went that route, I'd probably DSST those. For me, it's not really a factor one way or another.  

I don't know how COSC's and TESU's cornerstones and capstones compare. I guess if one school's were faster/easier, I'd consider that an advantage. (Don't think I'm lazy. Okay, maybe I am a little.) I know COSC's cornerstone is 3 credits and TESU's is 1 credit, so perhaps that's an indication that COSC's requires more time and effort? 

I'm sure there are lots of other -- frankly, much more important -- criteria I could consider. (What are those? Customer service? Reputation? I don't even know.) I'll keep processing this, but if anyone has any perspectives or advice to share regarding this new, self-inflicted dilemma of mine, I'd be really grateful.

I still have work to do, but I'm also closer to completion than I thought I'd be at this point. That said, maybe I'm just getting cold feet. I know... a "grass is always greener on the other side" mindset is probably not a good way to live -- or pursue a degree.
(08-02-2018, 01:05 AM)kietro Wrote: I tend to overcomplicate things. This is no exception. Any input would be appreciated... 

I'm 5 courses/exams from a TESU BSBA HR. I need Statistics, English Comp. II, Managerial Communication, Cornerstone, and Capstone. All was well. Until I took a closer look at Charter Oak tonight (I had applied previously)... 

I'm 6 courses/exams from a COSC BSBA General Mgmt.: I'd need 3 ULs, Statistics, Cornerstone, and Capstone. (I don't know if a COSC BSBA w/HR concentration would work out the same. I like the HR AOS, but I'm not married to it.) 

I know my decision shouldn't hinge on cost -- especially because the two institutions aren't far apart on that front -- but I can't help but at least consider it. I'll spare you the breakdown, but it looks my remaining costs for TESU would be $764 more than COSC. 

This calculation assumes I'll have to take the TESU cornerstone (which TESU says I will, because I messed up and didn't transfer in all my credit before they did the academic evaluation). I think that'll be $366 with the Study.com discount. The tally also assumes I'll have to pay $2,200 for the residency requirement waiver with the Study.com discount. (However, today I talked to a TESU advisor who said it'll be $1,800. He reiterated this in an email, so I'm hoping that somehow I'll get it at that price.) 

So basically, if I had been early enough and savvy enough to get the TESU cornerstone waived and more favorable Study.com discount, the TESU and COSC costs remaining would be the same. 

By the way, the additional COSC UL electives required (vs. the LL TESU credits I need) wouldn't really be burdensome. If I went that route, I'd probably DSST those. For me, it's not really a factor one way or another.  

I don't know how COSC's and TESU's cornerstones and capstones compare. I guess if one school's were faster/easier, I'd consider that an advantage. (Don't think I'm lazy. Okay, maybe I am a little.) I know COSC's cornerstone is 3 credits and TESU's is 1 credit, so perhaps that's an indication that COSC's requires more time and effort? 

I'm sure there are lots of other -- frankly, much more important -- criteria I could consider. (What are those? Customer service? Reputation? I don't even know.) I'll keep processing this, but if anyone has any perspectives or advice to share regarding this new, self-inflicted dilemma of mine, I'd be really grateful.

I know I still have work to do, but I'm definitely closer than I thought I'd be at this point. That said, maybe I'm just getting cold feet. I know... the whole "grass is always greener" approach is no way to live -- or pursue a degree.

TESU.

Take a study.com course and transfer it over and ask that the cornerstone be waived.

I have not seen anyone complain about the TESU capstone being difficult.

I think that TESU's name sounds better, Charter Oak has always sounded a little suspect to me.

Having the HR focus is better than just general management.

Of course, all of this is my opinion. For my degree they showed significantly more flexibility than COSC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • kietro
(08-02-2018, 06:26 AM)jjsafari Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 01:05 AM)kietro Wrote: I tend to overcomplicate things. This is no exception. Any input would be appreciated... 

I know I still have work to do, but I'm definitely closer than I thought I'd be at this point. That said, maybe I'm just getting cold feet. I know... the whole "grass is always greener" approach is no way to live -- or pursue a degree.

TESU.

Take a study.com course and transfer it over and ask that the cornerstone be waived.

I have not seen anyone complain about the TESU capstone being difficult.

I think that TESU's name sounds better, Charter Oak has always sounded a little suspect to me.

Having the HR focus is better than just general management.

Of course, all of this is my opinion. For my degree they showed significantly more flexibility than COSC.

Cornerstone can no longer be waived due to a study.com affiliation (as of July 2018).   I suspect both TESU and COCS cornerstone courses are very simple. You've already completed you AOS in the concentration you choose with TESU, it doesn't seem practical to me to switch to a general area AOS and still have to take more courses (3 which must be UL) all to save less than $1000 - but that is me, I'm at the point in my degree where faster outweighs a slight increase in $
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • kietro
Ah yes, the old Big 3 dilemma - which one to choose. I had gone through that many times myself, as Excelsior was my top choice back in the days (prior to 2005), then COSC was my choice for the price a few years ago, but now, it's TESU since 2015...

Previous to or between the years 1999-2005 years, Excelsior was the cheapest of the three, I mean people could transfer all courses and be done with everything for under $1500. Further to that, their business program is ICABE accredited, they have the largest of the three in terms of Alumni/networking opportunities. COSC is a great option as they accepted FEMA credits for electives and can take from 17-33 credits total for FREE, at that point in my life, I was a bit tight on my budget/spending.

I finally decided and chose TESU for three major reasons: 1) They got upgraded to University Status,
2) Their business program now is ACBSP accredited (recognized and required for some government jobs).
3) Their requirements are less, you only need 15 UL in the AOS and courses are easier to find for a cheaper price point.

I would recommend TESU, for a little extra in spending, your investment in your education today will reap better returns in the future. So for that extra ~$800, you get a more recognized ACBSP degree that may land you a job that pays you extra $1,000/month. It pays you back after the first month and you get a better ROI (return on investment) in the coming years.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • davewill, Kelly Green, kietro, Sapientes
I agree with bjcheung77, the ACBSP accreditation would make the difference to me. However, if the money is really important, I don't see COSC as a bad alternative at all.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • Kelly Green, kietro
The TESU Cornerstone is $300, not $366.

I personally would go with the fastest at this point, $700 would not change my mind one way or another.

The TESU cornerstone can be completed in an hour. The capstone will take a full term (12 weeks). You could register for the September term, complete the cornerstone on day 1, apply for graduation on October 1, complete the capstone by Nov 18, and graduate in December. You'd obviously have to finish your remaining courses before the capstone started, I'd take the English Comp II TECEP, and the Managerial Comm & Stats courses from Saylor ($25 each). Or do them all through study.com for $270.

For COSC, I'm not certain how it works, but I think you can't sign up for the cornerstone and capstone in the same term, meaning you'd have to take 2 terms to finish - and you have to pay a fee each term there, meaning the cost will go up from your anticipated amount.

Again, I'd look at how quickly I could finish and just go with that school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, kietro
I second dfrecore.

I waffled a bit too, but when you get scared, double down. Know that you can't make a bad choice. Compare cost, compare time, or flip a coin, but pick one and speed up - get to the goalpost as fast as possible. Focus on removing and reducing barriers/time. I promise you, that once this is behind you, you'll be happy with your choice.... and your updated signature. Wink
Hi all, thanks so much for the helpful advice and info. For all the reasons cited, I'm going to stay the course (and feel good about it). Sorry about the minor freakout.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,925 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore