Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program
(11-28-2018, 02:23 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 01:25 PM)allvia Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 12:58 PM)sanantone Wrote: I have no experiences to share, but Capella does have a FlexPath MBA in Project Management.

Oh, and Purdue Global offers an ExcelTrack MBA with a concentration in Project Management. They require the equivalent of 40 semester hours (they're on the quarter system), but at least they're no longer the for-profit Kaplan University.

Capella is for-profit as well, and isn't ACBSP accredited.

(11-28-2018, 01:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:I agree and I recommend the WGU option for the same reasons.  I usually don't recommend the three following for profits unless it's a hard to get Doctorates/PHD - Capella, Phoenix, Walden.

One you might also want to take a look at is the Purdue Global as it has a few concentrations - Finance, Health Care, HR, IT, Marketing and Project Management.  The only difference is that the 16 credits make up the concentration, the program requirements are the same - Here's the link: https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/graduat...ology/mba/

I just looked at the Purdue-Global and the ExcelTrack is the general MBA only - I'd go WGU for certian if I was going to go that route.

Thank you both.

Yes, I know it's for-profit, but it's another similar program to compare. Capella is accredited by ACBSP as well as the Project Management Institute. PMI doesn't accredit the Flexpath option, though.

https://www.capella.edu/capella-experien...editation/

Ah, I didn't see the ACBSP when I looked Capella up.

(11-28-2018, 02:01 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 12:52 PM)allvia Wrote: As I mentioned I'd be looking at the Project Management path (which WGU doesn't offer), as I'm going to be working towards my PMP. 
Just curious, but why wouldn't you get a regular MBA and then just study for your PMP on the side?

The more research I do, the more likely I will end up pursuing the PMP aside from my master degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(11-28-2018, 12:52 PM)allvia Wrote: As I mentioned I'd be looking at the Project Management path (which WGU doesn't offer), as I'm going to be working towards my PMP. 

I'm not a fan of their for-profit status, and it makes me wonder just what the minimum time is that it can be completed - even as a competency based program.  If it could be done in 9 months (3 terms) it would be pretty close to the cost of WGU for two 6 month term; I don't see myself managing to get through WGU in 6 months (day job work load won't allow for it I suspect).  Both schools are RA and ACBSP accredited.

This is what happens once you get word from TESU that you are confirmed for graduation of your bachelor degree next month.  You need to research and gather all the information you can on the next step to take....

If you're just finishing up your Bachelor's in business right now you could probably get through WGU in 6 months easily. There isn't really anything new to learn. I finished my business undergrad over 5 years ago and got the first 10 WGU classes done in a month. It's hard for people who have never learned things like finance and accounting, but if you're comfortable with those from your undergrad you should be fine.
Update to this thread:  I have signed up with Walden University for this MBA due to the ability to 'try it before i buy it' opportunity talked about in another recent thread -  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-at-Walden
Amberton University

(11-28-2018, 01:25 PM)allvia Wrote: I just looked at the Purdue-Global and the ExcelTrack is the general MBA only - I'd go WGU for certian if I was going to go that route.

Thank you both.

Are you sure that it's for the general MBA only? I was thinking of going there. Of course, now I'm considering Walden, but I'd still like to know.

By the way, you said you weren't sure about finishing WGU in 6 months because of having a day job. I think a person could definitely finish in 6 months with a full-time job, if they didn't have much else going on (unless they don't like business classes, or they are rusty with school). Not everyone could do it, but definitely the motivated ones.

Advice: always open the writing assignment first and fill it in as you read. You save time on reading that way.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 2 users Like videogamesrock's post:
  • allvia, GoodYellowDogs
Has anyone else finished BE001: Business Leadership, Management, and Ethics? I think I am done but I am not really sure. Maybe I am just expecting something to pop-up on my screen or appear that is like "Congratulations you have completed this section"... but so far that isn't happening. My assessment was marked as "mastered", but did not actually say what I scored so I don't know if I should re-take it. This feels a little odd.

Also, has anyone else figured out if we can access the book study materials somehow that Cengage materials normally have for each chapter?
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(12-08-2018, 05:46 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: Has anyone else finished BE001: Business Leadership, Management, and Ethics? I think I am done but I am not really sure. Maybe I am just expecting something to pop-up on my screen or appear that is like "Congratulations you have completed this section"... but so far that isn't happening. My assessment was marked as "mastered", but did not actually say what I scored so I don't know if I should re-take it. This feels a little odd.

Also, has anyone else figured out if we can access the book study materials somehow that Cengage materials normally have for each chapter?

I had the first section WMBA 4990 waived (BE001 is part of it) due to having a BSBA, however when I finished sections in the next course I too was like "ok, is that it?" - I did get a pop up on the main page a few days later that said something about 'congratulations on completing section XYZ", and there is now a green check-mark next to it (as in 'done').  If it is showing mastered I would suggest you move on, and make an inquiry with your academic advisor next call if indeed it is all set (just to let yourself rest easier); as you know this is a call that you'll have each week for awhile.

This first week I've been moving slower than I'd like, but that is more because I'm taking my time to get used to the platform.
Amberton University

Allvia, you are definitely not missing anything! I don't think I have learned anything in that section at all that I didn't already know. I think based on my résumé they probably should have waived it. Then again, there are things not on my résumé that are included that maybe they didn't think I knew about but I actually did and have not needed to use in more than a decade.

I agree though that just getting used to the format has really slowed me down. I like that we can listen to the books, but some of it needs to be trimmed because it read non-sensical information that must be related to the formatting.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Here is how I am approaching this.

Step 1. Do this quizzes first as you have several attempts to get 100%. That will allow you to get the idea of what the lesson covers.
Step 2. Read the assessment requirements, then find the answers in the readings and write.
Step 3. Self-assessment where you put down you need little to no assistance.
Step 4. Go to SME section and say you have no questions.
Step 5. Upload the writing assignment and move on to next competency.

Does anybody else have any different suggestions?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 24 1,028 Yesterday, 05:41 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 490 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 10 778 03-08-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: klone
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,705 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,830 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,323 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,254 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,212 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 17 19,459 02-22-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Central Lancashire (UK) LLM under $3K? Kalas 7 1,173 02-21-2024, 04:14 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer