Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting to get Pell Grant overage
rebel100 Wrote:New Mexico Junior College is about the cheapest practical school I know of. Pell won't work there if you have over 90 credits earned at other schools (CLEP doesn't really count). Otherwise they are easy to deal with, have lots of classes, and run around $100/credit.

Complete your FAFSA and see if you even qualify.

Thanks. I don't have over 90 credits yet. I've been planning to get many credits in the next 2-3 months, but they would mostly be ACE and CLEP credits.

FAFSA submitted. I can't imagine not qualifying for the full amount.

Do you know of any downsides to Luna (compared to NMJC)? It seems to cost a bunch less. I see Luna has fewer courses, but not by a lot, and I wouldn't be there long.

Some schools will give in state tuition rate with online courses. Online courses really reduce cost of teaching and I'm surprised more schools haven't become more competitive.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:Some schools will give in state tuition rate with online courses. Online courses really reduce cost of teaching and I'm surprised more schools haven't become more competitive.

Some schools are able to reduce tuition. Some schools charge a technology fee because starting up online programs can cost millions.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Ideas Wrote:Thanks. I don't have over 90 credits yet. I've been planning to get many credits in the next 2-3 months, but they would mostly be ACE and CLEP credits.

FAFSA submitted. I can't imagine not qualifying for the full amount.

Do you know of any downsides to Luna (compared to NMJC)? It seems to cost a bunch less. I see Luna has fewer courses, but not by a lot, and I wouldn't be there long.

Your ACE and CLEP credits will not be disclosed to Luna, and yes, you can enroll in credit that duplicates your ACE/CLEP however, as you know, you won't GET credit for duplicate credit. People work this strategy all the time. The only other expense you're not considering is books and or online codes. These can drain your overage if you're not careful when you select your classes. Many schools allow you to order your books online through their own bookstore portal- if that's an option, look up each course you're considering to see what they list as "required" books. You need to pay attention to CODES that might be required- books you can buy used later, you're just doing this as research. IF a trig code is $250 you'll want to avoid that class and pick something else.
Luna responds so poorly that I finally gave up and just went back to NMJC. NMJC on the other hand is very responsive, happy to help even. They also have a LOT more course offerings that Luna.....by a factor of 3 or 4.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,341 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program? Schlafen 13 1,630 01-31-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 743 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pearson wanting to explore using NFTs bjcheung77 1 452 08-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Short-term Pell for online? Alpha 11 1,020 06-30-2022, 11:19 PM
  Clarification on how Pell Grant works? OP88 2 688 05-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Last Post: OP88
  PSA Apply for FAFSA/Pell Grant Now ashkir 0 624 01-18-2021, 09:21 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Getting Transcripts From College Wanting Money (maybe) xXAnonymousXx 12 2,042 12-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Fafsa Pell Grant Giantzebra 3 723 11-08-2020, 07:31 PM
  Best use of a Pell Grant amomwholearns 3 978 08-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Last Post: hsfamfun