Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning about Study.com 30 day trial for TESU students
(12-10-2018, 09:23 PM)LuckyStar Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 07:34 PM)davewill Wrote: Not to mention that getting a degree from TESU without the Study.com discount will cost you much, much more than a month's dues...or do you intend to try and get that despite not paying Study.com anything?

Try and get what? TESU degree or study.com discount? 
I wouldn't be trying to get study.com discount without paying for study.com membership. How would that even be technically possible??
In regards to TESU degree, I am reconsidering that all-together and will most likely go with a different school and possibly even major.

If you send a study.com transcript to TESU, you qualify for the study.com affiliate membership, which gives you a discount on the residency waiver and tuition.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, davewill
That's like sending a steak back that you hated - but it's not on the plate because you ate the entire thing.

Ethically, this should set off red flags to you, and everyone who reads this.

I think it would be fair for Study.com to charge $50+ for a proctored exam during the trial as a result of this scam. Take the course and pass the meat of it it for free - but if you want to proctor it's a fee to limit their losses.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 3 users Like Cheeseburrito's post:
  • jsd, Muldoon, Sapientes
(12-11-2018, 11:57 AM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: That's like sending a steak back that you hated - but it's not on the plate because you ate the entire thing.

Ethically, this should set off red flags to you, and everyone who reads this.

I find it most telling that the OP never once says WHY they were unsatisfied.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • jsd, Sapientes
Guys, I think you are missing the point here. The OP was only asking if the credits would stay on their transcript if they canceled their "30 day money back guarantee" offer, which is a very legitimate question. Study.com was the one who chose to issue a refund, NOT the OP. That's it. Nothing unethical about that.  

I personally found the OP's insight to be helpful. I have never taken a Study.com course before, but am planning to within the next couple of months. I could see myself not understanding that situation either. Study.com needs to clarify their fine print.
By asking to cancel for the money back guarantee, that's asking for a refund. What else would that mean?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(12-11-2018, 04:03 PM)jsd Wrote: By asking to cancel for the money back guarantee, that's asking for a refund. What else would that mean?

That's not what the OP asked. The OP sked whether the course would remain on his transcript if he were to take advantage of the money-back guarantee.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Right, OP specifically said they were asking Study.com if they canceled through the money-back guarantee option (refund), if they would keep they credits. Study.com said no. The plead their case to Study.com why they should be able to, and Study.com relented and allowed for them to do it and gave the refund.

It's skeezy.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Sapientes
Does anyone have the text for this 30-day money back guarantee? The money back guarantee is not mentioned in their terms of use. I would think that canceling a membership that you're already paying for is not the same as asking for a refund. If I cancel a magazine subscription, it means that I don't want to be charged for future issues, not that I want my money back for the issues I've already received. Regardless, you can earn credits and still be dissatisfied if you had another goal in mind i.e. learning something. It's really on Study.com to protect itself from anyone who might be dishonest about his or her dissatisfaction. Or, if they had any kind of sense, they would only offer during the free trial what's supposed to be included during the free trial.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Cancelling your membership so you're not paying anymore or using the service going forward is certainly different than using a money-back guarantee to get a refund, I agree. But the user was asking about the money-back guarantee.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(12-10-2018, 07:02 PM)LuckyStar Wrote: natshar,
I apologize for bringing up something that is "well-known" to you. I did do a thorough search through their terms of service and all the fine print under "30 day risk-free guarantee" and NOTHING on there stated anything about proctored exam. I did try to search this forum as well before I contacted study.com, but didn't find any discussion specifically about this issue either.

I didn't mean to come off so harshly. I guess I was confused. I don't know anything about the "money back guarantee" but I do know about the "free trial." It has been spoken on the forum multiple times that when you sign up for study.com you get free trial period at first. And this trial period does not include proctored exams. In fact, I signed up for study.com through a special partnership and as a result, I registered over the phone. The guy on the phone even extended the usual 7-day trial an additional week. In doing this he made it very clear (told me point blank over the phone) that "free trial" does not include proctored exams and even with the extension he put on, I still could not do proctored exams as part of the extended free trial.

Reading through this thread has made me realize I was wrong and the trial and guarantee (maybe??) are not the same things. Is there a link to this guarantee anywhere?

On another note, just wondering, what makes you unsatisfied with study.com?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,308 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,475 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,646 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 551 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 278 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue