Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning about Study.com 30 day trial for TESU students
Hi guys!  Smile

First of all, I want to thank all of you, who have shared tons of useful information about getting online degrees in such efficient and accelerated ways. If it wasn't for this forum, it would have taken me years to figure out that I can take most of the courses needed for my degree through study.com, for example. 

Now, to the main reason for my post: I want to give heads up to everyone study.com "30 day risk-free money back guarantee" promise for TESU students. 

I signed up for study.com college accelerator account through the link that promised that; and less than 30 days later I decided to cancel. At that moment I had already finished one course and passed the proctored exam. I wrote to study.com customer service asking them if I cancelled my membership through the "30 day risk-free money back guarantee" claim, would I lose earned credit. To my surprise, they responded that I didn't qualify for that guarantee and couldn't get a refund because I'd taken the proctored exam and that the refund was only for people "who were not satisfied" with their product.  Sad  I wrote back to them saying that I saw no connection between me taking the exam and being satisfied -- it was my first time ever using their services and, I believe, taking the exam was a part of trying them out. They have not responded to that yet, but I have a feeling they won't and won't refund me.

So, I wanted to give a heads-up to all who were considering using that "30 day risk-free money back guarantee" trial.
Yes I thought it was pretty well known that the 30 day free trial did not include any proctored exams.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • harrypotter, Muldoon
Yeah, I'm thinking you don't get to actually earn credits and then decide to get a refund. They can't take back the credits (at least I've never heard of a company doing so through ACE), and how can you get the credits you earned finishing a course and then claim you weren't satisfied? You took the class and earned the credits. I can't think of any way you could claim dissatisfaction when you got what you paid for.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, Muldoon, Sapientes
natshar,
I apologize for bringing up something that is "well-known" to you. I did do a thorough search through their terms of service and all the fine print under "30 day risk-free guarantee" and NOTHING on there stated anything about proctored exam. I did try to search this forum as well before I contacted study.com, but didn't find any discussion specifically about this issue either.

dfrecore,
I see your point, but I believe that for anyone like me, who hasn't taken an online course for over 10 years and has NEVER taken a proctored exam, completing a course and taking the exam can be considered a part of trying the whole system out.

As a matter of fact, when I explained my point of view and why I decided that I didn't like their system, study.com actually sided with me and just issued me a refund (I literally received a confirmation a few minutes ago). So, if I was so wrong about questioning this policy, they wouldn't have issued the refund (I was polite and didn't push them in any way, just explained the whole situation and my point of view).

Anyhow, I didn't mean to start a redundant thread or annoy anyone with my opinion. I really was just trying to share information that some newbies like me could find useful.
Best regards to all.
LuckyStar Wrote:They have not responded to that yet, but I have a feeling they won't and won't refund me.

So, I wanted to give a heads-up to all who were considering using that "30 day risk-free money back guarantee" trial.

Have you read through their Terms of Use? https://study.com/pages/terms_of_use.html
The main thing to read is section 13. Particularly 13 C, section V and Vii.
You most likely should & will get a response, but I don't think a refund is in place.

natshar Wrote:Yes I thought it was pretty well known that the 30 day free trial did not include any proctored exams.

It seems they've gotten rid of the 5-day trial and the 30-day trial as well. It's now a 30-day money back guarantee...
If they kept the "trial" options available, OP's issue would not have happened as they would not be able to do an exam!

LuckyStar Wrote:As a matter of fact, when I explained my point of view and why I decided that I didn't like their system, study.com actually sided with me and just issued me a refund (I literally received a confirmation a few minutes ago). So, if I was so wrong about questioning this policy, they wouldn't have issued the refund (I was polite and didn't push them in any way, just explained the whole situation and my point of view).

Amazing, their customer service has gone above and beyond their "call of duty" and did this for you, the refund is interesting... what provider are you going to use now? They're the best option for Upper-Level credits if you're going to be doing a degree from the Big 3.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, Sapientes
(12-10-2018, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Amazing, their customer service has gone above and beyond their "call of duty" and did this for you, the refund is interesting... what provider are you going to use now? They're the best option for Upper-Level credits if you're going to be doing a degree from the Big 3.
Not to mention that getting a degree from TESU without the Study.com discount will cost you much, much more than a month's dues...or do you intend to try and get that despite not paying Study.com anything?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Sapientes
So you basically conned them out of a course? Hmmm
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 3 users Like zzzz24's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, Muldoon, Sapientes
I don't think they should let you take the proctored exam without making it explicit that you're ending the free trial at that point.

but i also agree that asking to cancel after getting credit is kind of out of line and they went above and beyond when they didn't need to by refunding it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • harrypotter, Muldoon, Sapientes
(12-10-2018, 08:23 PM)jsd Wrote: I don't think they should let you take the proctored exam without making it explicit that you're ending the free trial at that point.

but i also agree that asking to cancel after getting credit is kind of out of line and they went above and beyond when they didn't need to by refunding it.

I agree.  There should be something somewhere that says "once you take a proctored final exam, no refunds are allowed."  You shouldn't be allowed to get credit without paying for it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon, Toastmaster
(12-10-2018, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Have you read through their Terms of Use?  https://study.com/pages/terms_of_use.html
The main thing to read is section 13.  Particularly 13 C, section V and Vii.

As I mentioned above, yes, I read all the Terms and Fine print. The section that you mention only describes conditions of the free trial, specifically it reads "you will be able to explore the Site and Services during the Trial Period for no charge", which was not the case with me -- I did pay $199.99 upfront when I registered.

13 C, section V and Vii -- those conflict the language of fine print under 30-day risk-free guarantee. The fine print specifically reads "30 day money-back." "Money-back" = "refund", doesn't it?

Nothing in the T&C's outlines what is covered and what is not under "30-day risk-free money back guarantee". I reviewed the screenshots of my initial registration again today, and it says "30 days money back guarantee: cancel any time during 30 days with no strings attached."

(12-10-2018, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Amazing, their customer service has gone above and beyond their "call of duty" and did this for you, the refund is interesting... what provider are you going to use now? They're the best option for Upper-Level credits if you're going to be doing a degree from the Big 3.
Yes, I am very grateful for the resolution that customer service provided. However, I never asked them for a refund! I initially emailed them to ask if credit earned during those 30-days of "risk-free guarantee" would remain on my transcript if I cancelled my membership. To that I received a response that if I'd taken a proctored exam, I wasn't eligible for that guarantee because it was only for "people who were dissatisfied." I asked them why taking an exam would automatically mean that I was satisfied if I'd never taken one before. Customer service chose to issue a refund, I never pushed for it, and didn't I "con" my way for it, as someone has mentioned here.

(12-10-2018, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: what provider are you going to use now? They're the best option for Upper-Level credits if you're going to be doing a degree from the Big 3.
This I am currently working out. I will very likely be changing my major and my initial plan all-together, which will probably result in me choosing a totally different school.

(12-10-2018, 08:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 08:23 PM)jsd Wrote: I don't think they should let you take the proctored exam without making it explicit that you're ending the free trial at that point.

There should be something somewhere that says "once you take a proctored final exam, no refunds are allowed."  You shouldn't be allowed to get credit without paying for it.

I agree. This was my main issue with the whole thing -- them not having any written policy/terms on what is not covered under the 30 day money-back guarantee, or when it doesn't apply.

(12-10-2018, 08:23 PM)jsd Wrote: but i also agree that asking to cancel after getting credit is kind of out of line and they went above and beyond when they didn't need to by refunding it.

I can legally cancel anything at any time, unless I'm under a contractual obligation not to do so until certain requirements are met.
In this case, as I've mentioned multiple times, I didn't ask them for a refund! I only asked if my earned credit would stay on my transcript if I canceled my membership before the first 30 days were up. 

Again, this was not a FREE trial. It was a "money-back guarantee" with "no strings attached."
And yes, I insist that it was not "well-known" to me (like someone has said above) that once I took the proctored exam, that had to stay on my transcript and that would end my eligibility for "money-back guarantee."

(12-10-2018, 07:34 PM)davewill Wrote: Not to mention that getting a degree from TESU without the Study.com discount will cost you much, much more than a month's dues...or do you intend to try and get that despite not paying Study.com anything?
Try and get what? TESU degree or study.com discount? 
I wouldn't be trying to get study.com discount without paying for study.com membership. How would that even be technically possible??
In regards to TESU degree, I am reconsidering that all-together and will most likely go with a different school and possibly even major.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,313 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,477 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,652 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 277 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 551 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 278 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue