Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning about new 4S Phone
I stood in an hour and a half line at the Apple store last night to get a new phone, but as I was standing there, I realized that the line was carefully manufactured to make it look like TONS of people are dying to get the new 4S.

There were only a handful of people that actually wanted it all evening.... I counted about 10 of us in line, but that's only because everyone had at least one friend with them that wasn't buying. They made us all stand in front of the store and would only let one person buy a phone every 30 minutes or so. Funny how about 10 minutes before mall closing they got us all in and quickly taken care of.

The store wasn't really that full, so you would think that we could have just walked in and gotten a phone, after all, they said that they had plenty of phones, however they wouldn't let you buy a phone unless you stood in the line. It was interesting how many mall passerbys would say "oohhh look at the line for the phone" or ask "wow!?! Is THAT the line for the 4S? *rolls eyes* so pathetic... not that many people wanted it, but Apple intentionally made it look like there was huge demand!

I'm pretty upset about having my Friday evening used to be part of a fake Apple buzz. At the very least they could have paid me for my time or had a cash bar available so I could have had a glass of wine while I was forced to stand around pointlessly. If my husband hadn't been there, I would have left after a few minutes, but it does mean a lot to him... so my warning is if you actually want one of the darn phones, order it online. Don't go to a store at least for a week or two.. Overall, I really want to choose a non-Apple phone, and probably would have last night just out of spite, but again, DH was insistent and now that I've paid a ton of money I'm stuck with it for at least another year.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Apple is catering to a bunch of losers in my opinion. I write this on my MacBook Pro! But its catering to the image conscious who think that having the latest gizmo is going to make them more attractive. Its ridiculous that people fall for this nonsense. Of course I do look more attractive in my new black Vette, but thats different Wink
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
What is the hurry to get the new iphone. What about leaving it for a day or even a week, then there isn't a queue.
Set yourself goals, not limitations
@Ryoder - yes I totally agree. The main problem is that you can't easily see the difference between the 4 and 4S like you can between the 3's and the 4. LOL so since both the 4 and 4S are square, Apple has to create the false hype to make it look like there is a huge difference. Vette... nice Wink

@Tasman - there shouldn't be a hurry, but my main problem was that I didn't get an iPhone 4. I had been using my old beat up 3GS for a while and I have dropped it more times than I care to count. I have learned my lesson and will not ever use my 4S without a case and hopefully it will last long enough to not have to buy a phone for a VERY long time.

UPDATE on phone: A couple of items to add. Since I posted earlier, I've actually had the chance to use the phone and so far there is good and bad. SIRI, the voice controls are kind of cool, but don't work very well. When you dictate an email, it doesn't come out very well and looks like someone who doesn't speak English very well wrote it. The 8 megapixel camera is GREAT and I have a photoshop app and HDR, which makes this camera do some pretty cool things. Since I always end up taking pics of the kiddos with my phone while my real camera gathers dust, it makes sense to have a decent camera phone. So, if that's the only reason I got the 4S, then I guess it's worth it.

Edit to add: Did I say SIRI was bad? I meant REALLY bad... yikes, I shouldn't have believed the cheesy Apple promo video that makes it look like I'll never need to type again with my new voice-recognition assistant. They really should be sued for false advertising. I'd be better off dictating an email to my four year old. Sad
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Yeah I picked up my 4S via pre-order, also upgrading from an aging 3Gs that I had since it first debuted. So far I like that the 4S is so much more responsive than the old phone. Siri isn't much more than a toy, but it is kind of fun to play with it... ask it crazy stuff like why the chicken crossed the road, etc. Apple devs have a sense of humor, and there are some crazy responses that had me busting up.

In any case, I had been holding off on upgrading my 3Gs for quite a while, so this is not a bad upgrade. Especially on AT&T since you get access to their new high speed network (not 4G, but not bad. Too bad AT&T service here in San Francisco is so poor... kinda makes me want to switch to Verizon.) For folks who already have an iPhone 4, it isn't worth the upgrade in my opinion... hold off til next summer when the iPhone 5 comes out, which should support 4G LTE and by then AT&T's LTE service will be available too. I'll probably end up upgrading again at that time.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Don't rush. Android 4.0 just released and the first new phones are set to launch. As for Apple products, iOS 5 is also coming up soon.
BrandeX Wrote:Don't rush. Android 4.0 just released and the first new phones are set to launch. As for Apple products, iOS 5 is also coming up soon.
FYI, IOS5 launched on October 14th, along with the debut of the iPhone 4S.

As far as Android, for people who don't already have a preference, definitely check out both... it is a great OS. As for me, my wife has one, and I like it as well, but we prefer having one of each so we can maximize our exposure to the app marketplace in both platforms. Plus my wife doesn't really listen to music, and I do, and already use iTunes for managing my music library, so it makes sense to use the iPhone so I don't need to carry both a phone and an iPod like I used to.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
I've noticed every time I pass the Apple store at the mall it is full of people. I wonder...

I agree with Ryoder, Apple does cater to image conscious people who have to have the latest gadget.

No one in my family has ever owned an Apple product (and I have not been inside that famous Apple store). Not that we have any problem with Apple. Most of Apple's products are pricey, fun gadgets that we don't need. We did look into the Mac, but we decided to get a good, but less expensive, laptop instead. We do have a Droid, though, which is enough of a gadget for us. Smile My brother and his friends say that the Droid is superior to the iphone, but I don't know (I am not the techie one!).

BTW Merlin, I have heard many people complain about AT&T service, and I am not near S.F. When the iphone was only available on AT&T, many people switched to AT&T just to get the iphone, even if they got poor phone service. I know someone who had no service around his house with AT&T, and he switched from Verizon (where he had service around his house) just to have the iphone!
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
I have a mixture of Apple and non-Apple products... there are some things that are better for each platform. Yes, in the PC market, Apple stuff is generally a bit more expensive for slightly less powerful hardware (in some cases) but the advantage of their model is that everything is designed to work together, so there isn't the random element associated with commodity computer parts that is common in the PC platform. They are also generally designed to be green (low energy), ergonomic and user friendly, so they can used by anyone with little or no training. So, you pay a bit more for those benefits. Plus, the Apple platform is generally better suited for some types of creative development work... many high end photography and graphics development shops focus on OSX as their primary platform, so there is a lot of support in that area. In the mobile market Apple is competitively priced... the droid phones are generally running the same as an iPhone, so they aren't really any more pricey. Feature for feature the android and iOS operating systems are pretty close, but many people believe that the iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod) are much easier to use. I know my wife struggles a bit with some of the more obscure features of her android, but doesn't have any issues with those same types of applications on my iPhone.

Yeah AT&T is hit or miss. Where I was in the Washington, D.C. area, I thought it was very good. I had good signal everywhere and never any issues with the network, but from what I can see so far, San Francisco isn't anywhere near as well represented. My new iPhone is still on AT&T but when I travel around the area I lament that a bit, since the network coverage does seem to be below par... from what I hear, Verizon is best here. But then again, I don't know anyone here who has Verizon to compare with so I can't test that. I'm not sure that it is worth my cancelling my AT&T service to try Verizon on a whim... though the iPhone supports Verizon and Sprint as well as AT&T now. Smile

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cell Phone Deal - OnePlus Nord 30 - Best Buy $0 plus cost for X days service bjcheung77 6 703 03-06-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Pixel 6 - I am eyeing this phone today! bjcheung77 3 650 11-28-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  PSA: Northwest "Heat Wave" Warning! bjcheung77 3 735 06-27-2021, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  HUSH - Phone Number - Lifetime Deal $25 USD bjcheung77 11 3,536 06-01-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  New Phone - LG 7 One or LG G6 - Which would you choose? bjcheung77 13 2,109 11-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Warning: MUST Have STEM or Business Degree burbuja0512 11 2,912 02-25-2018, 04:58 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Heart attack warning story Mamasaphire 3 1,793 10-17-2017, 12:29 PM
  Warning level? wombat777 3 1,651 07-31-2017, 11:02 PM
Last Post: SuZQ2
  What in the world is going on with all the Solar phone calls lately??? dfrecore 3 1,211 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM
  The Phone Interview Prloko 27 3,023 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Last Post: scorched