Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Texas A&M ACE/Study.com not accepted for Masters work
(08-07-2018, 06:57 PM)Gloddy Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 06:42 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Are you adamant in going for that Finance degree? Have you investigated the MBA program as well?  Someone on this board is taking the MBA program and I didn't read that they had any issues, they may not have taken those exact courses from Study.com though:  See here - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid261151

Thanks for the response. Maybe Kaskadia will see this and add some light.

Of course I am now second guessing my decision.  3 extra classes isnt't the end of the world but I am 45 and time is not on my side at least professionally.  Now I can't help but to reconsider the MBA, especially through WGU. My only challenge to this is the program is un-ranked (I don't care, but people on the east coast in Financial Services do) and I would prefer to get a masters in Finance.

To put it into perspective, I have a client who earned their PHD from Texas A&M in the 80's. When I mentioned this program, the response was "it's online though, right?".  The client wasn't being pretentious or condescending, more like, why bother?

I always appreciate the views here, so if you are reading this, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Gloddy

Hi Gloddy!

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently knocking out my WTAMU MBA and I'm required to take three "leveling courses" for Accounting, Finance, and Statistics. As you're well aware it's quite frustrating to have already done these courses and then have to go and knock them out again. I ran into a miscommunication of sorts with my advisor; I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to take any of the leveling courses but after I had already started I was informed that I would indeed have to complete these courses. This semester I'm knocking out my accounting leveling course; then I've got another two after this one. Undecided

All that being said, these leveling courses are designed for people with no exposure to the subject. In my experience so far this semester these leveling courses have been really really easy since I've already taken multiple accounting courses. I'm treating it as a refresher; the only regret I have is only taking one course this semester. I wouldn't let this be the thing that turns you away from WT. It's a bummer to retake courses but WT is a good school and these classes aren't as bad as you might think.

If you feel comfortable with the leveling subjects you need to take I'd consider going wild during the summer semesters. WT has two summer semesters and you could knock out all three required leveling courses in the space of one semester. Summer semesters are really short and full of work but if you feel comfortable doing something like this it would save you a lot of time.

Best of luck!

Kas
West Texas A&M: MBA (In Progress) 6/14 Completed
Financial Accounting Leveling (Completed)
Statistics Leveling (Completed)
Finance Leveling
Managerial Accounting
Corporate Finance
Economic Applications  (Completed)
Management Information Systems
Quantitative Analysis
Consumer Theory (Completed)
Leadership (Completed)
Business Integration
International Business (Completed)
Elective
Capstone

TESU (Graduated 2016)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kaskadian's post:
  • Gloddy
(08-07-2018, 07:21 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Basically, you want to stress to them, these courses were "evaluated" as equivalent to TESU's courses. Ask if they would accept it directly from TESU, if so - why would an equivalent course be rejected? Re-state that your degree is from TESU and you have all the required courses to graduate from TESU without a need to take any additional courses. Illustrate to them that you have all the prerequisites for entry into the program without needing to "bridge" as your BSBA is in Finance.

While I think it's worthwhile just for curiosity, I'm going to guess that the reason they won't take them is because they are pass/fail. Graduate schools often (but not always) look for graded credits in the prereqs.
(09-25-2018, 05:34 AM)Kaskadian Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 06:57 PM)Gloddy Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 06:42 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Are you adamant in going for that Finance degree? Have you investigated the MBA program as well?  Someone on this board is taking the MBA program and I didn't read that they had any issues, they may not have taken those exact courses from Study.com though:  See here - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid261151

Thanks for the response. Maybe Kaskadia will see this and add some light.

Of course I am now second guessing my decision.  3 extra classes isnt't the end of the world but I am 45 and time is not on my side at least professionally.  Now I can't help but to reconsider the MBA, especially through WGU. My only challenge to this is the program is un-ranked (I don't care, but people on the east coast in Financial Services do) and I would prefer to get a masters in Finance.

To put it into perspective, I have a client who earned their PHD from Texas A&M in the 80's. When I mentioned this program, the response was "it's online though, right?".  The client wasn't being pretentious or condescending, more like, why bother?

I always appreciate the views here, so if you are reading this, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Gloddy

Hi Gloddy!

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently knocking out my WTAMU MBA and I'm required to take three "leveling courses" for Accounting, Finance, and Statistics. As you're well aware it's quite frustrating to have already done these courses and then have to go and knock them out again. I ran into a miscommunication of sorts with my advisor; I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to take any of the leveling courses but after I had already started I was informed that I would indeed have to complete these courses. This semester I'm knocking out my accounting leveling course; then I've got another two after this one. Undecided

All that being said, these leveling courses are designed for people with no exposure to the subject. In my experience so far this semester these leveling courses have been really really easy since I've already taken multiple accounting courses. I'm treating it as a refresher; the only regret I have is only taking one course this semester. I wouldn't let this be the thing that turns you away from WT. It's a bummer to retake courses but WT is a good school and these classes aren't as bad as you might think.

If you feel comfortable with the leveling subjects you need to take I'd consider going wild during the summer semesters. WT has two summer semesters and you could knock out all three required leveling courses in the space of one semester. Summer semesters are really short and full of work but if you feel comfortable doing something like this it would save you a lot of time.

Best of luck!

Kas

Thanks Kas!

I am fairly fair along with the application process at The University of Scranton.  I may have to take the leveling courses there as well but won't know for sure until they get all of my transcripts.

Here on the East Coast it is a little more well known but has similar rankings to West Texas A&M.

I did ask for a tuition estimate for the program and leveling courses.  It was over$20k.  I thought I could do it for under $13k. I was way off.  Scranton will be more expensive (East Cost) coming in around $27k with my company's discount of 10% to attend the school. I will report back if I have to do the leveling courses at Scranton.

Gloddy
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
(08-07-2018, 04:16 PM)Gloddy Wrote: Good Afternoon,

I am posting this here because it relates to study.com but it is in regards to graduate work as well. I am going to post it in the Graduate School Discussion as well.  I apologize in advance if this is a no-no, but I want people to be aware of this.

I just received official notice that I will graduate from TESU with a BSBA on 9/14!  Smile 

My plan is to do a Masters next.  I am leaning towards Finance instead of the MBA.

For this reason, I am considering West Texas A&M Master in Finance and Economics for the following reasons:
Accredited
Inexpensive
"The program earned a 2018 #18 ranking as a best graduate business program by U.S. News & World Report.­"

I read the following on the website:
Receive Your Personalized Plan of Study: Please send a copy of your current resume and your unofficial transcripts today to receive your personalized Plan of Study.

So, I did this.  Long-story short...They will not accept the study.com (ACE) for Finance, Stats and Accounting.  I will have to take 3 "Leveling courses" prior to being able to move fully into the masters program.

I asked if their are exceptions.  One of my professional designations, CIMA, was taught by Wharton professors and I have 20+ years in Financial Services.  No luck.

I am sharing this because I completed almost 100% of my non-B&M courses at study.com.  I didn't think this would be an issue, but apparently it can be.

Right now I am feeling a little salty about it but I guess this is the price that will have to be paid. 15 courses instead of 12 isn't the end of the world, but it bothers me, plus it will take longer.  This program is not competency based like a WGU, so it will cost me time.

Gloddy

First of all, the average age of a financial advisor is 60, so you've still got plenty of time. A lot of them work well into their 70's and beyond. 

I think you should stick with the Finance degree and not be tempted by the MBA. What I've heard from advisors is that an MBA is only helpful if you start your own business or specifically work with business owners on their businesses. The Finance degree is more relevant and more respected.

I understand what you mean about struggling with so many options. That happens to me all the time. Often, I find that my first choice really was the best one, so resist the urge to second guess yourself!
[-] The following 1 user Likes amilitab4k9's post:
  • Gloddy
Have you looked into CSU Global's Online Master's in Finance? You won't need any leveling courses for this program: https://csuglobal.edu/graduate/masters-degrees/finance
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 701 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 454 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 651 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 366 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,118 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,820 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,782 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,219 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat