Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Governors University - My 2 year anniversary review
I've been lurking this forum for a while, and have recently taken part and gained valuable information from this community, so I decided I would contribute back my experiences with Western Governors University.

I'll start by explaining their Competency Based Model. WGU does not award credit for time spent in class. You are essentially given all the material you need to know in order to become competent in that subject. You are then given assessments (either in the form of a Proctored Exam, or graded papers) which they use to gauge your level of competency. If your level of competency meets the prescribed standards, you are awarded credit for that course, and can begin or continue work in another course.

Tuition at WGU works as follows: You pay a flat rate of $2890 per term. Regardless of how many Competency Units (their term for credit hours) you compete in a term, the rate is still the same. That means that you could complete all of your coursework during the term (terms are 6 months long) and your entire degree would only cost $2890.

I began my studies at WGU on November 1, 2010 with 7 credits transferring in. Approximately half of WGU's assessments are proctored exams (proctored through a webcam in your own home). I am a type of person who tests very well, so I had completed approximately 40 credits worth of assessments by the end of my first term. Towards the end of my second term, I had completed all of the proctored assessments, and I was well into the harder upper level coursework.

It's been a difficult road, but I have accumulated 90 credits in 2 years. Not anywhere near as impressive as many of the members of this forum have accomplished with CLEP and DSST exams, but I'm proud of my progress. I'm hoping that my term that begins on Nov 1, 2012 will be my final one. I'm hoping to try and make a "mad dash" for the finish line, and finish my final 30 credits during that time. WGU is a fantastic school, and I hope this thread will help anybody considering attending.
You SHOULD be proud of yourself. You're really moving along. You know that this is not a race against anyone else. It's all what you make of it, and it looks like you're making quite a bit. Congratulations, and let us know how it goes.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Thanks for the info and be proud of what you have learned. The progress part of it should be secondary to the learning.
Does WGU allow you to take CLEP tests also? Will they transfer in CLEP credits? I assume they do.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Yes, they do, but you have to complete them BEFORE you enroll.
Pete is exactly right. Once you agree to your degree plan, you are not allowed to add more transfer credit later. However, they have a rolling admission cycle....new students begin on the 1st of every month. You could select a start date several months in advance, and work with your adviser to select which exams you would like to take and transfer in before you begin your studies.
I don't like how you can't just transfer a class in or a CLEP in. Thats not cool. I guess there are tradeoffs with every school and that is one at WGU.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Western Governors University dewisant 10 1,492 03-17-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  15-year-old with master’s degree prepares for law school Imbanewbie 7 1,201 03-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Course Review Site MNomadic 3 1,152 01-20-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: priceaction
  WGU MS ITM review posabsolute 8 2,567 02-15-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Bad Review for WGU: Dishonest, Incompetent, and Unreliable bluebooger 33 22,807 08-21-2020, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Please review my WGU BS-IT Management Degree Plan AwardTour 15 3,454 10-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 6,008 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,180 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Governors University IrishJohn 26 4,108 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Last Post: OE800_85
  Western Governors University - do you have any advice on head starts? wanderer168 0 792 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Last Post: wanderer168