Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Governors University
I've been looking into signing up for the Teacher Preparation Program, Social Sciences (5-12) through WGU mainly because of the financial aid (money is very tight right now). The program itself looks good and I particularly like that I'll be able to finish a master's degree through them using "credits" from this program later. I decided to make this post of what I'm going through to get into the program mainly for those who are also considering WGU for their teacher license as well as for anyone who may wish to pursue a master's degree through them. There may be something in here that will help you.

I have a BA in History from TESC but unfortunately do not have everything they consider to be prerequisites to entering the program so am scrambling to finish them. Each teacher prep or master's program is different so be sure to find out the particulars for your area. For the program I'm entering this is the list of requirements to start, in addition to having a bachelor's:

1. Macroeconomics (Economics I) - I took this & ECON II through Straighterline but unfortunately missed the cutoff requiring proctored final exams by just a few days! banghead So I'll have to spend the time and money, as well as grit my teeth about ProctorU, and take the exams. Since only a 70% is needed to have them accepted though, it looks like I could fail both exams and still be okay since I received high scores in both.

2. Microeconomics (Economics II) - See ECON I.

3. US History 1 & 2 - The CLEP tests are acceptable, both of which I've passed.

4. World History 1 & 2 - The CLEP tests Western Civilization 1 & 2 are acceptable, both of which I've passed.

5. American Government - The CLEP test is acceptable, which I've passed.

6. Geography - The DSST text is acceptable, which I'll need to take soon.

7. 2 courses in Anthropology, Psychology or Sociology - The CLEP and DSST exams are acceptable; I've taken CLEP Sociology and am waiting to find out if the CLEP Social Sciences & History exam fulfills the other course requirement. If not, I'll be taking Anthropology or Psychology soon.

8. 2 courses in Political Science - The TECEP Introduction to Political Science is acceptable for one course, which I'm going to take soon.

Unfortunately, WGU will not take NCCRS-approved courses which rules out Introduction to Western Political Thought or The Politics of Anti-Semitism in the United States (Political Science 350) to fulfill the other Poli-Sci requirement. Darn. I'm waiting for a response on these possibilities:

Quote:I’d like to know about one of these possibilities to satisfy the other:

1. UExcel Political Science (170) exam (more info in this pdf), which is also ACE-approved.

2. SSC150 – Foundations of Political Science (pdf; see p. 87 of Undergraduate Catalog & Student Handbook) from Penn Foster College which has DETC accreditation and this course is also ACE-approved.

3. The Iraq War: An Insider’s Look course through Advancement Courses for Teachers through California State University, Monterey Bay. These are supposed to be graduate-level credits on a CSUMB transcript, although they are not allowed to be used in their degree programs.

Will any of these be acceptable and if so, will they duplicate the TECEP I’m going to take or be accepted as satisfying the other Poli-Sci requirement?

I'll post later on what I find out from them about this. In the meantime, if anyone has another suggestion on what I can do to fulfill the other Poli-Sci requirement I'd appreciate it. Time and money are factors here. Thanks!
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I just had it confirmed by Straighterline that I can get a "0" on both proctored final exams for ECON 1 & 2 yet because of my high grade will still pass both courses with over 70% in each. banghead

Seems like a waste of time and money just to have WGU accept these courses but every school has their own quirks I suppose...

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

How about Penn Foster International Relations? Does your state have the alternative teacher certification program? My backup plan is to do one that's only around $400 upfront.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:How about Penn Foster International Relations?

What a great idea! I missed that one when looking at the ACE guide for PF! Thanks a lot, I just might take this if their other poli-sci course duplicates the TECEP. Come to think of it, I may end up taking both if the TECEP is a killer. Smile

Quote:Does your state have the alternative teacher certification program?

Yes and it's even cheaper than WGU. However, unlike the program at WGU it's not eligible for financial aid nor does it have graduate credits but instead CEUs. Since money is very tight right now WGU is looking to be the one I'll have to go for.

Quote: My backup plan is to do one that's only around $400 upfront.

WGU did recommend the courses at BYU as alternatives for poli-sci but I was hoping to save money since these are just prerequisites I have to knock out and not anything for a degree.

Have you considered the government TEACH grant?
TEACH Grants | Federal Student Aid

If you're willing to work a few years in a low income area, the government will give you up to $4000 per year to complete this kind of study. Essentially, you need to teach in a low income area for at least 4 years afterward. Personally, I think it's a great program to empower these kids. Since I'm not an American citizen, however, I'm not eligible.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
OE800_85 Wrote:Have you considered the government TEACH grant?
TEACH Grants | Federal Student Aid

If you're willing to work a few years in a low income area, the government will give you up to $4000 per year to complete this kind of study. Essentially, you need to teach in a low income area for at least 4 years afterward. Personally, I think it's a great program to empower these kids. Since I'm not an American citizen, however, I'm not eligible.

That is one of the financial aid programs I'm looking at, but unfortunately my state program doesn't qualify for it. WGU does though.

IrishJohn Wrote:What a great idea! I missed that one when looking at the ACE guide for PF! Thanks a lot, I just might take this if their other poli-sci course duplicates the TECEP. Come to think of it, I may end up taking both if the TECEP is a killer. Smile

Yes and it's even cheaper than WGU. However, unlike the program at WGU it's not eligible for financial aid nor does it have graduate credits but instead CEUs. Since money is very tight right now WGU is looking to be the one I'll have to go for.

WGU did recommend the courses at BYU as alternatives for poli-sci but I was hoping to save money since these are just prerequisites I have to knock out and not anything for a degree.

Are you planning to somehow get financial aid in order to fund the prerequisites? If your state has alternative teacher certification programs like Texas, then they would be cheaper upfront than taking a PF course plus a couple of exams. At least with the programs I've looked at, the rest of the fees are taken out once you're employed as a teacher.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Can you post a shorter description of the credits you need?

Something like:

Need 6 CR political science, any ideas?

Sometimes I ignore posts that are very long when I could probably help with a quick directed question.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
sanantone Wrote:Are you planning to somehow get financial aid in order to fund the prerequisites?

If I have to take an actual poli-sci course, assuming that PF won't work, than I'm thinking about just taking 1 at the graduate level so I can use it later on. After all, an undergraduate level course does nothing for me other than satisfy a prerequisite and I'll have to spend the time doing the coursework regardless of what level the course is at. If I have to go that route than yes I'll be looking to use financial aid.

Quote:If your state has alternative teacher certification programs like Texas, then they would be cheaper upfront than taking a PF course plus a couple of exams. At least with the programs I've looked at, the rest of the fees are taken out once you're employed as a teacher.

Unfortunately the "career switcher program" in Virginia isn't eligible for financial aid. There are a couple of possibilities through Regent U or Shenandoah U, but they require more time and only the former is eligible for aid. The only other one I could do is at George Mason U, but the cost is approx. $10,000 from what I can tell (21 grad credits times approx. $500/cr). I'd like to get this done soon so I can get a better job. WGU fits the bill from what I can see and even though it has the potential of taking a year to finish, I might be able to decrease that time if I'm able to put more work into the program. If you know of anything else please tell me.

ryoder Wrote:Can you post a shorter description of the credits you need?

Something like:

Need 6 CR political science, any ideas?

Sometimes I ignore posts that are very long when I could probably help with a quick directed question.

1) Proctored final exams for Straigherline ECON 1 & 2 (I've taken the courses already).

2) DSST Human/Cultural Geography.

3) 2 political science courses - the TECEP has been approved for 1 of these and I'm waiting to hear if the UExcel exam or Penn Foster course will satisfy the other.

4) Possibly DSST Anthropology or CLEP Psychology if my CLEP Social Sciences & History isn't accepted. I'm waiting to hear back from WGU on this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Western Governors University dewisant 10 1,490 03-17-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 6,006 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,180 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Governors University - do you have any advice on head starts? wanderer168 0 792 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Last Post: wanderer168
  Western Governors University - My 2 year anniversary review publius2k4 5 1,325 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Western Governors University Degree Plan gmagerr 0 823 07-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Last Post: gmagerr
  Western Governors University gmagerr 2 773 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Western governors' University - WGU - competency based? Experience or opinions? GoodYellowDogs 12 2,058 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Western Governor's (WGU) Course Question marianne202 16 3,516 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Western Governors Univ. Question marianne202 5 1,342 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: dwilson