Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What People Get Wrong About First-Generation College Students
It's probably not as much of an issue now since almost every college and university has a decent website, but when I was about to graduate from high school, I also didn't know about application fee waivers based on income. Some colleges told prospects to ask about possible waivers right on the admissions page while others didn't advertise it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I went to a small, rural, podunk school in a factory town where the factory died (NAFTA). Our guidance counselor was mostly useless and got fired (along with the rest of the administration) the year after I graduated for cheating on a state competency exam.

My parents had never even seen a college. Other than my teachers and the town doctor and pharmacist, you basically didn't run into anyone who went to college.

The only teacher who talked about college was my English teacher who gaslit us constantly about how hard college would be compared to our "easy" high school experience. She described how little college professors care and will kick you out of their classes at the slightest infraction and are happy to let you fail. "They already GOT your money. They don't care." She made it sound like such a miserable experience that I said eff it, and put no effort into figuring out college.

I got into a relationship with somebody who did go to college (first gen) and followed her onto campus during an advising meeting. After listening to them talk a while, I got intrigued and said I might also be interested in college. The college advisor said, "Well... I mean ...I could give you a catalog." "Oh okay!" I thought it would be some kind of guidebook full of information and how-to. It was just a phone-book-sized printed raw catalog of every course in the entire college system. I didn't know what the heck a major was or a degree program or core or major or anything. I'm not even sure I understood there were different degrees back then. I could not make heads or tails of the catalog other than seeing all the really interesting different things there were classes about. "You mean you can study movies? And they'll grade you on it?!"

The person I was in a relationship with couldn't manager her money or manage her time. Got behind on studies. Got behind on bills. Couldn't catch up and ended up flaming out after a single semester. Saddled with compounding student debt, bad credit and no degree for years. To this day, she's never returned to college.

I've become friends over the years with very accomplished professionals with advanced degrees who had wealthy parents who'd also been very accomplished professionals with advanced degrees. They definitely knew what they were doing with education and career path WAY earlier than anybody I grew up with. I think a lot of headlines talk about how much monetary wealth disparity there is between classes...but I don't think there's enough headlines about the information and knowledge disparity between classes. I learned as a middle-aged person a lot about how to build pathways to opportunities and how to socially engineer connections. (Not necessarily for me, but the ability to get two people together who need to meet. Just the nuts and bolts of how things get accomplished.) Others from higher social classes often learn all that stuff much earlier.

I don't ever want anyone else to have the same experience I did, which is why I go out of my way to try and spread educational information, opportunities, etc on social media. And why I frequent this forum in the hopes of reporting anything that might be helpful to anyone.

Don't be fooled by the watch on my arm. I'm still, I'm still Jimmy from the farm.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 168 04-26-2024, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  You've been reading wrong all your life. How to read 1000 pages a day. LevelUP 2 212 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,285 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,263 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,623 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,993 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 272 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 555 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 432 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 760 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM