Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the challenges and costs of a BS in History from EC?
I have been browsing this site for a while, trying to get a BA in History from TESU, and not aware of any other options from the Big-3. I gave up on TESU because of the rising TESU fees and the added cost of taking for historical methods and non-Western history that can't be found at any colleges in my state.

I only just discovered that EC has a BS in History. Is this a new program?

Does anyone have a degree plan? Does it require historiography and non-Western history too?
Excelsior is going to cost more than TESU, I think

I got a BA in history from TESU and just took those two classes you named from them directly. If you save those two til last, odds are that Study.com will have versions of them available in 2020.

https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...ry-degree/

A quick look at that shows that EC requires you to do 6 credits of "Non-Western/World History" whatever that is. It's not European History because they have a separate requirement for that. So seems to me like you'd be getting out of taking Historical Methods but getting twice as much non-Western as TESU.

Either way I don't think EC is gonna be cheaper but I could be wrong.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • warriortaupou
I think when someone on here (probably dfrecore) did the math, the EC degree came out a good chunk cheaper.

For Non-Western, you can take the Soviet Union DSST exam that should work for either school's requirements. EC might accept one of Study.com's Vietnam courses for that as well, but I don't know for certain.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(10-19-2019, 12:26 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I got a BA in history from TESU and just took those two classes you named from them directly. If you save those two til last, odds are that Study.com will have versions of them available in 2020.

I know that Study.com is working on the Historical Methods, but that isn't accredited yet. Is there any evidence they are working on a non-Western History too? I'm okay to wait.
Not really any proof, more just my sense of it. I've been here 3 years now and generally speaking Study.com releases courses in response to specific "missing courses" that people need to finish certain degrees.

When I started my degree, which was English/History, they didn't have the non-western lit that they do now and weren't working on historical methods. So I would just expect them to do a non-western history course pretty soon, because that's all that's keeping that degree from being fully complete-able through Study.com.

I would also expect some more UL Lit courses from them now that Shmoop is out.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(10-19-2019, 03:13 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I think when someone on here (probably dfrecore) did the math, the EC degree came out a good chunk cheaper.

For Non-Western, you can take the Soviet Union DSST exam that should work for either school's requirements. EC might accept one of Study.com's Vietnam courses for that as well, but I don't know for certain.

It was definitely not cheaper to do the History degree at EC - they need 2 European History courses, of which I know none, and 3 World History courses, and I only know of 2 (world hist I & II).

They recently changed this a bit, it used to say "intermediate" or "upper level" and it was hard to figure out what would fit in the "intermediate" box, but that's gone now.  Either way, it was impossible to do through alternative means.  Still is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • mysonx3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History Capstone Chirp 0 943 08-23-2021, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Chirp
  EC upper level history Chirp 8 2,333 12-17-2020, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Seagull
  Global Popular Culture Since 1945, and African American History Brichinica 4 1,174 07-27-2020, 10:24 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior History Degree Questions jaxonhart 2 1,506 04-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I figuring Excelsior costs correctly? LPN to RN (associates) tifferbugz 7 5,056 12-20-2018, 12:04 AM
Last Post: tifferbugz