Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the current (11/2018) TESU Non-Western Literature alternatives available?
Study.com, please get Non-Western Lit!

Or it would be nice to take at Davar Academy, OnlineDegree.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting, Saylor Academy, or Straighterline. (I hope some of these companies see this.) It's also a good opportunity for some of the more expensive places like Sophia Learning.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Muldoon
(12-08-2018, 08:42 PM)Ideas Wrote: I was told that Coopersmith LIT401 does not count for Non-Western Lit. However, I think you should still check in case you get a different answer Smile

Hi Ideas,

Have you found new information regarding the Medieval Hispano-Jewish Poetry (LIT-401) course from Coopersmith, as the Non-Western Lit. requirement at TESU? 

Would it be possible to mention a bit more regarding who told you that is wasn't valid (for the TESU Non-Western Lit. course requirement)?
I don't know about Coopersmith's Jewish Poetry being valid for non-western lit, but I asked an adviser at TESU about using it for UL credit last week and she said she'd never heard of it and didn't know if they took it or not, and couldn't tell me if they did without the course code. So if they accept it at least some of them don't know that they do.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(01-10-2019, 08:55 PM)pws Wrote: Hi Ideas,

Have you found new information regarding the Medieval Hispano-Jewish Poetry (LIT-401) course from Coopersmith, as the Non-Western Lit. requirement at TESU? 

Would it be possible to mention a bit more regarding who told you that is wasn't valid (for the TESU Non-Western Lit. course requirement)?

An academic advisor. I'm not trying to find more information on it. I accept what they said in this case.

(01-10-2019, 08:55 PM)pws Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 08:42 PM)Ideas Wrote: I was told that Coopersmith LIT401 does not count for Non-Western Lit. However, I think you should still check in case you get a different answer Smile

Hi Ideas,

The word Hispano is your clue here: it refers to Spain.  Which is considered western.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, pws
(11-19-2018, 03:53 PM)KawJa Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 11:19 AM)pws Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 05:37 AM)davewill Wrote: If it's just UL courses you need, there are the five $200 poetry courses from Harvard Extension. The only downside is that they are on a regular semester schedule and not quick to do.
(11-19-2018, 10:37 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Unfortunately, 3 are over, but there are still 2 left.  BEST DEAL EVER.

Yeah, those Harvard courses look great (4 credits and possible as graduate credits as well!). At the moment, there is a LL course and an UL course, however, the UL course is called 'Poetry in America for Teachers'. Does anyone know if it's open only for teachers, or it's open for everyone?

Yes! Everyone 16 years old and up. I've taken three Poetry in America courses so far and definitely recommend. 

That being said, I have all of my UL credits covered, but I still need the non-western literature, too... does TESU accept the Coopersmith (LIT 401) as non-western lit? Has anyone done this yet?

Can you tell me how you liked the poetry courses? Was there any interaction between students and pupils? Was it difficult to pass? Did you enjoy it? Thinking of it for my son but registration closes soon. I'd value your opinion!
(01-11-2019, 01:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Hi Ideas,

The word Hispano is your clue here: it refers to Spain.  Which is considered western.

This is a somewhat debatable point.  It is MEDIEVAL Hispano-Jewish Poetry.  During the Middle Ages, Islamic kingdoms/governments controlled Spain.  This lasted from the 700s until 1492.  "Western" has traditionally been associated with historically Christian cultures.  This has, obviously, expanded in recent years, but it certainly wasn't true during Medieval times.  In fact, I would argue that Polish literature and Russian literature should be considered non-Western because these cultures were and are related to the Eastern Christian/Byzantine churches.

The "Jewish" component is also problematic.  Judaism thrived within the Muslim kingdoms of Spain and were expelled from the Iberian Peninsula when Christians took over in the 1400s.  When they were forced out, they mostly went to Muslim N. Africa, which is not considered Western.  One could also argue that the territory of the modern state of Israel - the traditional Jewish homeland - is not Western.  Portions of it have been accepted into Western culture because of the Christian tradition, but that "Western-ness" has only been grafted upon it by Christians in Europe at later times.

Someone should test a Polish literature class.
(01-23-2019, 07:39 PM)eriehiker Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 01:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Hi Ideas,

This is a somewhat debatable point.  It is MEDIEVAL Hispano-Jewish Poetry.  During the Middle Ages, Islamic kingdoms/governments controlled Spain.  This lasted from the 700s until 1492.  "Western" has traditionally been associated with historically Christian cultures.  This has, obviously, expanded in recent years, but it certainly wasn't true during Medieval times.  In fact, I would argue that Polish literature and Russian literature should be considered non-Western because these cultures were and are related to the Eastern Christian/Byzantine churches.

The "Jewish" component is also problematic.  Judaism thrived within the Muslim kingdoms of Spain and were expelled from the Iberian Peninsula when Christians took over in the 1400s.  When they were forced out, they mostly went to Muslim N. Africa, which is not considered Western.  One could also argue that the territory of the modern state of Israel - the traditional Jewish homeland - is not Western.  Portions of it have been accepted into Western culture because of the Christian tradition, but that "Western-ness" has only been grafted upon it by Christians in Europe at later times.

Someone should test a Polish literature class.

You can argue it with TESU if you'd like, I personally don't get to make the decision for them.  But here is the quote from their own Non-Western Lit course:

" The term non-Western literature generally refers to writings by people in any culture or country except those of Western Europe, Ancient Greece and the United States."

Obviously, Russia and Poland aren't considered Western Europe, so those would be fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • pws
Any new Non-Western Literature courses that have popped up lately?
[-] The following 1 user Likes pws's post:
  • Oulton1
Not that I know of. African Encounters or Non-Western Lit through TESU are going to be your best bets unfortunately

I took African Encounters and it's like brain poison, but I did eventually get through it.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,325 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 672 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,073 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Do you have a current Study.com coupon code? Who could refer me? Felisa 3 609 09-06-2023, 07:20 PM
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,386 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 858 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 701 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,861 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455