Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need to take Algebra?
I am not a math person and especially Algebra, but did make it through Intro to Statistics. If I'm going for the BA in Liberal Studies at UMPI, do I need to take Algebra?

This is what I have so far: (Will take English Comp I & II at UMPI)

Conflict Resolution
Human Biology
Visual Communications
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Ethics
Ancient Greek Phiosophers
Microeconimics
Macroeconimics
Intro to Sociology
Biology w/Lab
US History 1
Intro to Statistics
US History 2
Art History 1
I took College Algebra with Sophia, and it transferred in as MAT 117 (General Elective). I had to take Mat 140 Mathematics for Business with UMPI. It was helpful taking it with Sophia as I struggle as well with Math, and it was a precursor. When I took it at UMPI, I remembered a lot of what I had learned and don't tell me how, but I did score 100% on the final. My jaw dropped! Good Luck~you can do it.

You only need one of the Economics courses. The other (at least for my program) may come in as an elective.
UMPI BA - Accounting (presently working on)
Sophia
Walla Walla Community College
University of Washington 
University of Puget Sound 
Peninsula College 
[-] The following 2 users Like crotique's post:
  • Cole22, Pikachu
You need College Algebra for the GEC in the BLS degree. It's actually much easier than Introduction to Statistics on Sophia. Sophia does a great job with this class. There are 4 different teachers to select from. Each one has a different style. Hopefully one works for you!

MAT117 is College Algebra not a general elective. MAT140 is for the BABA students.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Cole22
(10-26-2021, 11:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You need College Algebra for the GEC in the BLS degree. It's actually much  easier than Introduction to Statistics on Sophia. Sophia does a great job with this class. There are 4 different teachers to select from. Each one has a different style. Hopefully one works for you!

MAT117 is College Algebra not a general elective. MAT140 is for the BABA students.

Thanks for the encouragement! I finished the Algebra course in 1 1/2 days with a 91%! Once I got started I couldn't put it down!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cole22's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-28-2021, 09:00 PM)Cole22 Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 11:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You need College Algebra for the GEC in the BLS degree. It's actually much  easier than Introduction to Statistics on Sophia. Sophia does a great job with this class. There are 4 different teachers to select from. Each one has a different style. Hopefully one works for you!

Thanks for the encouragement! I finished the Algebra course in 1 1/2 days with a 91%! Once I got started I couldn't put it down!  Cool

That's awesome! It took me 3 weeks. It was much less painless than when I took it college years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Novo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Algebra Sophia and CLEP College Algebra davemodular 16 1,740 08-15-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: rachel83az