Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What could UMPI do better?
Wonder why someone gets so defensive and aggressive over simple post?. While doesnt have this attitude towards other users who actually suggested smth very similar. Lol
Honestly I'm all on board for more CBEs from UMPI! I want them to add what they can reasonably handle.

One big thing about UMPI they do not add unless they have the staff at UMPI to support it. IF there's not enough staff to support a CBE major, they will not add this CBE until they're ready for it at brick and mortar usually before online.

If the MAOL is a success I can see them adding more. I'm 70% sure they only added it because of Brandman/Strut Learning prepared it, and the content is similar.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Novo, Vle045
I am thinking about double major in Accounting and Finance. I found out that TESU has both majors, but UPI has only Accounting. That's why I am planning on TESU currently. Since I'm not sure if I want to pursue CPA or CFP, I want to keep my options open for now.
(05-25-2021, 09:49 PM)kokodekoko Wrote: I am thinking about double major in Accounting and Finance. I found out that TESU has both majors, but UPI has only Accounting. That's why I am planning on TESU currently. Since I'm not sure if I want to pursue CPA or CFP, I want to keep my options open for now.

They are adding 2 more concentrations for the fall so there's still hope! They are adding more programs. YourPace is only 4 years old and they are still expanding it.
(05-25-2021, 09:49 PM)Okokodekoko Wrote: I am thinking about double major in Accounting and Finance. I found out that TESU has both majors, but UPI has only Accounting. That's why I am planning on TESU currently. Since I'm not sure if I want to pursue CPA or CFP, I want to keep my options open for now.

FWIW: to meet the educational requirement to become a CFP you have to complete relevant coursework through a CFP registered educational program OR have a CFP board recognized certification (such as CPA, CFA, licensed attorney or PhD in financial planning/business/finance). Unfortunately, TESU is not registered with the CFP board. So, even if you get a finance or other relevant degree from TESU, you are going to have to complete more education elsewhere (could become a CFA, attorney, PhD, etc, but those will all require additional education too) in order to be eligible for the CFP designation. 

A degree in finance (or some other related discipline) at TESU may help you toward your potential goal of becoming a CFP—it might be more likely to get you hired by a financial planning firm, might be more valuable as you could double major in accounting and finance, etc, etc, etc BUT the TESU degree does not actually speed up the process, reduce costs, etc of getting the CFP as compared to a UMPI accounting degree!

https://www.cfp.net/get-certified/certif...equirement

https://www.kaplanfinancial.com/cfp/challenge
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
It seem that it would be a big improvement to allow classes that are added to a term roll over to the next term if incomplete.

Especially since course content isn’t viewable ahead of time.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mom5's post:
  • ashkir, BetaBen, Novo, StudiousTraveller
(10-01-2021, 07:37 AM)Mom5 Wrote: It seem that it would be a big improvement to allow classes that are added to a term roll over to the next term if incomplete.

I feel like the terms should have an option to be extended to the entire semester.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • BetaBen, Novo
(10-01-2021, 09:20 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 07:37 AM)Mom5 Wrote: It seem that it would be a big improvement to allow classes that are added to a term roll over to the next term if incomplete.

I feel like the terms should have an option to be extended to the entire semester.

That’d be great if they would do that. For instance, right now I’m working on two courses, one course I plan on finishing up this weekend or early next week the other course I’m hoping to finish by next weekend. I’m over here debating if I should add another course but I’ll more than likely be stressing really hard about making sure to finish before this session is over.
[-] The following 2 users Like carebear_007's post:
  • BetaBen, Novo
If not roll over, it at least sounds like it'd be an improvement if you didn't auto-fail an incomplete class so that it brings down your GPA. Just don't put it on the transcript at all. Go ahead and keep track so that you can say "students are not allowed to have more than X incomplete classes in Y period" but otherwise don't penalize students.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Novo, StudiousTraveller
I believe it's an accreditation issue that they have to have specific terms and not allow roll over like this. I believe WGU used to do this when they were just NA and changed it for RA.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,459 Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 175 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 168 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 220 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 852 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 269 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,468 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 202 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 944 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
  AI in UMPI him22 16 1,255 03-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Ares