Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about credential stacking?
I'm not sure if that's what it's called, but I'm thinking about getting as many easy certificates and licenses as I can. When I say easy, I mean something that doesn't require a long and costly training program that would make it difficult for me to continue working full-time. It could turn out to be cheaper than getting another bachelors or masters degree. Through self-study, I could take the test to become a pharmacy technician and become licensed by the state. I could also self-study for the national optician tests. Texas has voluntary registration for this field, but the national certification is preferred by employers. I'm also thinking about self-studying for the CISSP (I have more than 5 years of experience in two domains), a few of the COMPTIA exams, and maybe some Cisco or Microsoft certifications. Another option is to study for some insurance licenses. Since my background is in criminal justice, paralegal studies seems like a natural path; but, every job I look at requires experience and I don't want to get stuck in that rut again. I can't even get a job in social services or substance abuse counseling without experience.

I'm just looking to increase my chances of getting out of my civilian job at an LE agency. I absolutely hate it! When I apply for jobs that pay roughly the same salary, I feel like my applications are being thrown in the trash for being overqualified. When I apply for jobs that pay a little more, I get some interviews; but, I end up getting beat out by people with much more experience. I cannot even afford to take a pay cut of a couple of thousand dollars a year or the equivalent couple of dollars an hour because I wouldn't be able to afford my rent and student loan payments. I'm barely middle class, like lower-middle class. A small pay cut would put me back to living paycheck to paycheck without savings and without being able to afford health insurance living in some ghetto apartment complex.

I know what I got my masters degree for (a federal job) and I knew it would take a long time to get one. I just need an intermediate career in the meantime that won't make me miserable. I feel like going through the police academy or going through the alternative teacher certification program could possibly be overdoing it since I wouldn't stay in those careers for more than a couple of years. I have a few PhD programs I want to apply to next year that pay decent stipends, but I would still have to suffer at my current job for another year. Maybe I can get a bunch of adjunct teaching jobs once my masters is conferred...
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • dewisant
It sounds like a more logical solution might be to stick it out in your current job and work on saving some money instead of spending money on certificates. Certificates won't do you any good without experience or actual coursework. I know most States won't hire you as a pharmacy tech even if you are certified without actually completing a program of study. What about teaching part-time on the Continuing Education side of a community college to earn some extra money? I believe if you do change jobs and have a cut in income you can have your student loan payment revised, but when you set yourself up to be maxed out financially you put yourself in a very hard situation to get out which is what you are finding. What about moving into a more affordable housing option or getting a roommate? It sounds like you have put yourself into a corner and I'm not sure how you will be able to get out. I wish you luck in your endeavor, I know it isn't fun working in a job you don't like but sometimes we have to do what we have to do to get by.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I can't say that I speak from any wealth of actual experience here, but I would tend to agree with Marianne.
And I'd add that I think one of the best things would be to get out of debt and pay off the student loans, and make that a goal. I know a couple people who are currently and have worked jobs that they really didn't like, but they are sticking it out for their goal. I really admire them for that because saving money for what a person might want is hard to do and hard to wait for.
"Those who expect to be ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

Graduated, Finished, Completed!! my B.A. in History from TESC!!!!! Technically February 2013 & Generally May 2013!!!
I guess staying at my current job would be the reasonable thing to do. :p I actually disliked my last job for the most part and stayed there for almost 4 years. I more than just dislike this job. It is so bad, I'm afraid it's going to start taking a toll on my mental and physical health. Most of the people I work with are obese, miserable, and have some kind of health problem. The stress is on par with being an air traffic controller. Even police officers have told me that they would not want my job.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I don't want to add to what is already a hard decision, but I would lean the other way. My location probably plays a part in this. I have posted my credits and asked for assistance with figuring it all out. I do not have a degree, but lots of certificates (CEU/PDU). The training has assistaed me more then a degree would. Currently my training consists of, with cost:
ISO 9001:2008 Lead Auditor ($1,700.00)
CMMI v1.2 ($120.00)
Six Sigma, Green/Lean/Black ($6,500.00)
ITIL ($1200.00)
Certified Continuity Manager ($995.00)
PMI training ($2,500.00)
Root Cause Analysis ($75.00)

Now to address the student loans. Are you able to teach? Have you been paying on your student loans for around 10 years? I am asking this question because you can get student loan forgiveness. It depends on the type of work as well as how long you have been paying. I can dig up the link if you need me too.
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've read about student loan forgiveness for teachers who teach in low-income schools. The standard for what constitutes a low-income school is surprisingly loose. I would say that about 90% of the schools in my county are designated as low-income. I've also read about student loan forgiveness for anyone who works for a government or non-profit agency for 10 years while making 120 consecutive payments. There is also student loan forgiveness for social workers.

I figured the COMPTIA certs wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Most people start out in help desk and those jobs almost always require COMPTIA A+ or some other entry-level cert. The wages for help desk jobs in my area really aren't that bad. I know the IT certs would make me more competitive with the NSA at least. I would join the National Guard if I had someone to take care of my dog while going through basic and career training.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:I guess staying at my current job would be the reasonable thing to do. :p I actually disliked my last job for the most part and stayed there for almost 4 years. I more than just dislike this job. It is so bad, I'm afraid it's going to start taking a toll on my mental and physical health. Most of the people I work with are obese, miserable, and have some kind of health problem. The stress is on par with being an air traffic controller. Even police officers have told me that they would not want my job.

AwwOh, I understand. Another person I know has had that similar experience. I'm afraid that's the new face of America. I think obesity is probably the biggest health factor Americans have.
Do you work in a call center?
Overall the American work ethic is pitiful, this lowers the morale, there's just no respect or pride taken in the job anymore. A waitress friend of mine says that she would really like to just work with adults! :p
Because all the teenagers her restaurant has been hiring over the past year or so don't have a good work ethic.
Even the most menial job can be done well and it will show and anything to enhance morale and attitude for the job that someone can do will help. Smile
Ya the National Guard is NOT a bad idea.Wink You might be able to hire a neighbor or friend/family or trustworthy kid who could take care of the dog.
"Those who expect to be ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

Graduated, Finished, Completed!! my B.A. in History from TESC!!!!! Technically February 2013 & Generally May 2013!!!
sanantone Wrote:I feel like going through the police academy or going through the alternative teacher certification program could possibly be overdoing it since I wouldn't stay in those careers for more than a couple of years. I have a few PhD programs I want to apply to next year that pay decent stipends, but I would still have to suffer at my current job for another year. Maybe I can get a bunch of adjunct teaching jobs once my masters is conferred...

I am not in LE, but it seems to me if you have the opportunity to go through the police academy you should consider it. I know entry level police positions don't pay extremely well, however law enforcement experience is something many companies respect and you can go anywhere in the country. (If had to guess, you probably have no desire to leave Texas) I wouldn't worry so much about staying in the job for a long time. That experience will pay off in the long run. Actually, I think anything you are considering will pay off. It's really good you are considering many different options.
TESTS PASSED

Intro to Law Enforcement (70) DSST, Criminal Justice (461) DSST, US History 1 (71) CLEP, US History 2 (66) CLEP, Civil War & Reconstruction (67) DSST
Business Ethics & Society (447) DSST, Principles of Management (65) CLEP, Principles of Supervision (450) DSST, Organizational Behavior (60) DSST
Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (56) DSST, Intro to World Religions (469) DSST, Management Info Systems (448) DSST, Prin of MACROeconomics (63)
Prin of MICROeconomics (64) CLEP, Labor Relations (A) ECE, HR Management (B) ECE, Principles of Financial Accounting(65) DSST, Prin of Finance (408) Money and Banking (52) DSST
merolpn Wrote:I am not in LE, but it seems to me if you have the opportunity to go through the police academy you should consider it. I know entry level police positions don't pay extremely well, however law enforcement experience is something many companies respect and you can go anywhere in the country. (If had to guess, you probably have no desire to leave Texas) I wouldn't worry so much about staying in the job for a long time. That experience will pay off in the long run. Actually, I think anything you are considering will pay off. It's really good you are considering many different options.

I've been a LEO now for 32 years and have also been teaching at the collegiate level for the last 5 years. I began my career starting at 18K however new rookies today start today (in the Tampa Bay area) at around 43K; many not requiring a college degree but a degree of courage is preferred.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
merolpn Wrote:I am not in LE, but it seems to me if you have the opportunity to go through the police academy you should consider it. I know entry level police positions don't pay extremely well, however law enforcement experience is something many companies respect and you can go anywhere in the country. (If had to guess, you probably have no desire to leave Texas) I wouldn't worry so much about staying in the job for a long time. That experience will pay off in the long run. Actually, I think anything you are considering will pay off. It's really good you are considering many different options.

I think the LEO experience could help me get into the federal government too. If I can't get into foreign affairs or intelligence, I could at least try out for a federal law enforcement agency after having a few years of experience at the local level.

ShotoJuku Wrote:I've been a LEO now for 32 years and have also been teaching at the collegiate level for the last 5 years. I began my career starting at 18K however new rookies today start today (in the Tampa Bay area) at around 43K; many not requiring a college degree but a degree of courage is preferred.

The pay for SAPD is not bad. I don't know if they just got a raise or if there's something wrong with their salary calculator now, but they're claiming to pay those with masters degrees over $50k a year after the academy. It was around $43-45k not too long ago.

Quasarvs, I don't work in a call center. Life would be easier if all I had to do was take calls.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credential Creep sanantone 15 2,988 06-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Is degree / credential hoarding a psychosis? dmjacobsen 37 4,550 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Last Post: ladylearner