Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the point of school?
Inspired by another thread, I am working on some soul-searching. I am an idealist, but have become disillusioned with the reality of formal education.

What say you? What do you hope to gain from college that you couldn't gain otherwise, beyond just a degree? Would you be doing the same thing even if the degree served no purpose in your life?
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

I'll admit, I have been jaded by the College Experience. From bad teachers, to rediculously overpriced books and mysterious "fees". To me, in my mid 30s, college has become just a way to get that magical piece of paper that can potentially open more doors for you in the real world. The question is, how do you get that paper without sinking into serious debt trying to get it, and how long before you see the payoff.

That being said, I do see the value in going to school when you are a fresh maced eighteen to 22 year old. Being out on your own for the first time, learning about yourself, and cultivating relationships certainly has value. Too bad mom and dad are stuck with the bill for you "education".
The reason I'm earning a Bachelor's degree is not, per se, to get an education.

The reason I'm earning a degree is so I can have a piece of paper to show a prospective employer.

I will get a MUCH better education from work experience and self-directed studying. Wink

Here are some really interesting related articles. The first from a Wall Street Journal columnist and the second from a popular Baptist pastor.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/invest.../19572537/ - "Seven Reasons Not to Send Your Kids to College"

Voddie Baucham Ministries - "Searching for an Affordable College Alternative"

* For the record, I've never been enrolled in or affiliated with CollegePlus (although I think it's a great organization). Wink
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
Maniac Craniac Wrote:What say you? What do you hope to gain from college that you couldn't gain otherwise, beyond just a degree? Would you be doing the same thing even if the degree served no purpose in your life?

Primary objective is to get a tick in a box because other organisations and people require it. A reasonably close second, is because I want to.

The tick in the box opens doors and gets a foot in the door in both respects; with a BA/BS I can give the quick nod and answer "yes" work-wise, it also allows me access to postgrad courses.

To be honest, that about covers it.

edit: Regarding the other thread with respect to education/learning/qualification/etc; I tend to agree with that momofmany's position in that earning a degree is what you make of it. Plenty traditional students choose a cheeky Liberal Arts/'easy' Business degree route to maximise sport/party/extra-curricular activities. Then you have the likes of NAP here, who's smashing out some of the tougher CLEPs with an eye on the Maths GRE Subject test. Swings and roundabouts and I think as soon as someone becomes overly concerned about something which is neither the process, goal or pragmatic ethic then it gets a little bit fairy-land. There are always plenty of critics, naysayers and would-be contenders Smile End of the day, what do -you- want? Smile
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
I am a home schooling mom for a reason.:coolgleam:

I do not think "school" is a synonym for "education".

I think the purpose of school is mostly to get official recognition of having basic knowledge in certain areas.

I think the purpose of education is to build knowledge about the world around us and the people in that world.

I do not think school or education is for the purpose of "Being out on your own for the first time, learning about yourself, and cultivating relationships" THAT is what being a grown up is for and I don't think it a good idea for parents to wait until Junior is 18 to dump him in it. I certainly don't think it wise to go neck deep in debt for it and will not do so, not for myself and not for my kids.

I plan to still be nothing more than a wife and home schooling mom of many for at least the next 18 years. I'm happy doing this. To many people, my getting a degree is a waste of time. It will not change my life in some way that matters to the general population, which usually boils down to economics. This is something I've never understood. I guess they think only ignorant and uneducated people should have babies?:toetap:

I'm looking into testing/degree because I enjoy learning, because I want to show my kids it can be done and there's no excuse not to educate oneself. Just let them try to whine about how hard it is to find time to study. LOL Slightly because if we ever move to a stricter home schooling state, hving a BA or BS would make meeting home schooling regulations tons easier.

And only in the very far corners of my mind is the unpleasant fact that should something ever happen to my dh, it might be of some small financial benefit.
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

Go read John Taylor Gatto's "Dumbing Us Down" and/or "The Underground History of American Education".

John Taylor Gatto - Challenging the Myths of Modern Schooling

"Education" is simply a way to progressively train large groups of people to recognize and submit to "authority", not think for themselves, and search out a job (Just Over Broke) working for others rather than making their own place in the world. It's the use of applied psychology to being about mass slavery.
Many people (especially those who use non-traditional methods of getting an undergrad degree) have different expectations for their degree, and what they're planning on using them for. Most of the time, it does indeed, seem to be just a need to 'check the box'.

There's a huge difference in the scale of undergrad and grad degrees, as far as what's required of them, as well as the knowledge that each type of degree is intended to impart.

Personally, I'm anticipating going on to *at least* a masters program, to learn and develop skills that will enable me to change careers. The truth is, you pretty much can't do squat with an undergrad degree in Psychology. You need at least a masters (and often beyond the standard 30+ credits from a masters program) to go anywhere or do anything in the field, legally.

For me, getting my undergrad is being able to 'check the box' so I can go on and start the real education in my intended field. I honestly might feel different about an undergrad degree if it actually held any utility for me other than being able to get me into a masters program. I've learned some interesting things along the way, but honestly, I'm ready to be done so I can get to the actual learning that's going to enable me to enter my new chosen field.

If I want to excel in that field, I have to move beyond just the masters program and get into an APA accredited doctoral program, and get through that as well. But they look at things like GPA, coursework, and such even back to the bachelors level, for things like that. So, instead of skating along and getting by, I'm busting my hump at the undergrad level to make my plans more of a reality.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
I am getting degree to check off box. I feel I can learn better by goggling and buying books on Amazon. I think traditional college classes are worse because much of what professors say is their subjective opinion.
andy3000 Wrote:I think traditional college classes are worse because much of what professors say is their subjective opinion.

For that matter so are many of the comments/opinions found here, this one included. On the other hand, and as a college instructor, what I teach or even relay in the form of a "subjective opinion" is based on objective fact. :willynilly:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I am also getting degree because the VA will pay me $2,500 a month for living expenses on top of tuition, once I start taking classes. So I can actually make money being in school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 301 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,230 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,568 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,729 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 915 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 568 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,096 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,685 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 679 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,765 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore