Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's In A Name?
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]I picked this up from another thread regarding the various nicknames that we use here in the IC Forums so I thought I would elaborate on mine - ShotoJuku.

To begin, I have been studying/teaching Japanese ShotoKan Karatedo since 1971. The founder of Shotokan - Gichin Funakoshi used the pen name of "Shoto" meaning "Pine Waves" and his style was subsequently called Shoto-Kan.

I use a derivative of ShotoKan retaining Shoto but added Juku meaning "special or private school" thus - ShotoJuku.

How about some of the other nicknames out there????[/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Sammy is my dog. I love the little guy (95 lbs)! Brings a lot of joy to my heart. So I assumed his name.:p
[COLOR="Blue"]Dan
Douglasville, Georgia
Finished my degree 6-15-06
56 previous college credits (from 1987)
9 Dantes (Statistics, Ethics, World Religions)
9 CLEP (Socialogy, Prin of Management, American Gov.)
67 credits for my A&P license (Airframe and Powerplant)
TESC - BSAST- Aviation Maintenance Technology[/COLOR]
I have zero creativity so all I could think of was LIBeral ARTs MaJ(G)oR - I switched the "j" for a "g" for kicks.

However since my name is Joanne, I've been called Jo, JoJo, Joan, Joanna, and I have actually seen people write my name as Joean. Go figure.

Big Grin
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
HI!

My daughter is Jolie. Obviously, I am her mom. My name is Amy.

Jolie is 2. I can't get enough of her.
[SIZE="1"]32 traditional credit hours (in 1990) began again by testing in April 2006. CLEP Am. Gov. - CLEP US Hist I - CLEP Am. Lit. CLEP Human Growth - CLEP US Hist II- CLEP CIS - CLEP English Lit - May '07 Associates Degree - registered at Eastern Illinois University - DSST Drug Abuse - CLEP Bio - CLEP Spanish - DSST Civil War - DSST Intro to Law Enforcement
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:I pronounce your name "usage" but with a bit of a "T" sound just before the "s".

"Yoot-sidge" or "yut-sidge".

I thought it was Polish.

"Dawn" is a lot easier to pronounce!
Big Grin
actually, dawn is alot easier to pronounce. i have never been involved in a board so i didn't know how it really worked with the name deal. you guys are my first! snazz is close on pronounciation, "yout-see" (like could and should) and the "j" is for my husband's name: jeff. yutzy is a very commom amish name, along with yoder, troyer, and miller. my husband's great grandfather was amish, with the buggies and all, and left the order. even though it is only five little letters, having 2 y's and a z really confuses people when i have to spell it for them. i have gotten every variation imaginable. hilarious my kids like our last name, it's great for sports, i guess, sometimes their friends call them 'yutz', pronounced just like it is spelled, with a short u. Cool it's kinda like a nickname, my son even had it put on his class ring. it really is a novelty name.
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
My name is probably pretty obvious. I would "starve to death" without a steady diet of good books. I have even been known to buy a book before food so "bookeater" just seemed appropriate. Instead of being an omnivore I'm a librevore. Big Grin

Kate
Kate
BS Psychology
I was big into knights, chivalry, William Wallace (Braveheart), bravery, etc. in my early years on the Internet. I used to dream of being knighted... Jake is my first name (not Jacob), so "SirJake" was the name I chose at some point and it has stuck. I'm so used to it that I usually don't even think about it anymore.
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
sirjake Wrote:I was big into knights, chivalry, William Wallace (Braveheart), bravery, etc. in my early years on the Internet. I used to dream of being knighted... Jake is my first name (not Jacob), so "SirJake" was the name I chose at some point and it has stuck. I'm so used to it that I usually don't even think about it anymore.
and now look, you are a knight!
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]I picked this up from another thread regarding the various nicknames that we use here in the IC Forums so I thought I would elaborate on mine - ShotoJuku.

To begin, I have been studying/teaching Japanese ShotoKan Karatedo since 1971. The founder of Shotokan - Gichin Funakoshi used the pen name of "Shoto" meaning "Pine Waves" and his style was subsequently called Shoto-Kan.

I use a derivative of ShotoKan retaining Shoto but added Juku meaning "special or private school" thus - ShotoJuku.

More on this and other useless knowledge can be found at my website - http://www.SKJF.com .

How about some of the other nicknames out there????[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shoto, I checked out your website. Very cool! And it brought up another name question. Why is it O'Sensei Fey? I have never heard that title with the O in front before. Just curious.hilarious

Librevore
Kate
BS Psychology
Librevore Wrote:Shoto, I checked out your website. Very cool! And it brought up another name question. Why is it O'Sensei Fey? I have never heard that title with the O in front before. Just curious.hilarious

Librevore

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="3"]The prefix of "O" is significant to "Chief, Head of, Leader" etcetera.

It ("O") literally stands for "great" but as with many Japanese words and meanings they do not translate well (clearly/accurately) into English.

Domo!![/SIZE][/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot: