Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you Complete Course Evaluations?
I make it a point to complete and submit course evaluations.  I am also that person that fills out comment cards for positive reasons, rather than just to complain.  I feel that encouraging people who are doing the right thing, can only motivate them to continue on that path, knowing their efforts are noticed.  It seems I get the notifications for course evaluations around the middle of the course or so, and on one platform, I get pressured to complete it early.  However, I don't feel right completing the evaluations before the end of the course, because I haven't yet accessed the final module materials or fully experienced the instructors follow-through performance (maybe they give up in the last quarter of the class).

I assume there is some value to them getting students to complete it early.  Maybe they are less likely to forget, and/or the evaluation is less likely to be negatively impacted by the final grade.

That said, when do you all normally complete your course evaluations, if at all?

Also, for any current/former professors on the receiving end of the evaluations; what trends have you seen in feedback provided from the middle/end of course?
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

I do it a week before the end and i completely ignore the harrassment of getting it done sooner. Capella is one of those that'll send a survey around the middle and harass you until you do it. Ughhh

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(12-03-2018, 12:57 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I do it a week before the end and i completely ignore the harrassment of getting it done sooner. Capella is one of those that'll send a survey around the middle and harass you until you do it. Ughhh

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

From doing some Googling on the topic, it seems course evaluations are difficult for schools to get students to complete.  They should start making it part of the class grade; extra credit.

(12-03-2018, 08:54 PM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: From doing some Googling on the topic, it seems course evaluations are difficult for schools to get students to complete.  They should start making it part of the class grade; extra credit.

Two of my courses I'm doing right now at a CC are doing this. One of them is giving each student a bump (two percentage points I think) for completing it and one is giving everyone a slight bump when the class hits a certain percentage of students completing it.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-03-2018, 09:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 08:54 PM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: From doing some Googling on the topic, it seems course evaluations are difficult for schools to get students to complete.  They should start making it part of the class grade; extra credit.

Two of my courses I'm doing right now at a CC are doing this. One of them is giving each student a bump (two percentage points I think) for completing it and one is giving everyone a slight bump when the class hits a certain percentage of students completing it.

Interesting.  I wonder if the incentive actually makes it worth the bother for those who wouldn't do it normally.

(12-04-2018, 09:19 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 09:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Interesting.  I wonder if the incentive actually makes it worth the bother for those who wouldn't do it normally.

I'd say a couple points of extra credit absolutely makes it worth it, Even if it doesn't make a change to my letter grade.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • TheMaskedMutant
(12-03-2018, 12:46 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: I make it a point to complete and submit course evaluations.  I am also that person that fills out comment cards for positive reasons, rather than just to complain.  I feel that encouraging people who are doing the right thing, can only motivate them to continue on that path, knowing their efforts are noticed.  It seems I get the notifications for course evaluations around the middle of the course or so, and on one platform, I get pressured to complete it early.  However, I don't feel right completing the evaluations before the end of the course, because I haven't yet accessed the final module materials or fully experienced the instructors follow-through performance (maybe they give up in the last quarter of the class).

I assume there is some value to them getting students to complete it early.  Maybe they are less likely to forget, and/or the evaluation is less likely to be negatively impacted by the final grade.

That said, when do you all normally complete your course evaluations, if at all?

Also, for any current/former professors on the receiving end of the evaluations; what trends have you seen in feedback provided from the middle/end of course?

If I feel that the teacher is not living up to their end of the deal, you know "teaching", I fill it out as soon as it is available. With the hope that whoever reads them can maybe step in before the course is totally finished if needed. 

If they are doing a good job I will just put it down to do later on when I am not busy. 

In community colleges, I have noticed a night and day difference for some teachers who were not keeping up their end of things in class when the surveys/evals were likely very negative after they received feedback on it, and for the short time after that they were much nicer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,840 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,057 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 6,857 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Clever + Kahoot! <acquisition complete> bjcheung77 0 463 10-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  118 Units Complete, How To FINISH? TESU? Narg 2 1,084 11-08-2019, 02:40 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Best online college to complete TESOL certificate please? dannyasingh26 1 1,021 01-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Doodlebabe
  how do i 'complete' a Modern States course?? blaczkowitz 5 4,446 12-31-2017, 07:09 AM
Last Post: blaczkowitz
  Complete all General Ed at Penn Foster - Possible? pennfostertotesu 14 2,787 02-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Last Post: rowan555
  Need some help to see how I can complete a degree with these credits on hand nyvrem 8 1,665 12-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Last Post: KayV
  I DID IT!!! EC Grad Requirements Officially Complete! SuZQ2 20 2,115 11-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Last Post: bricabrac