Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to send transcripts from Sophia or SDC to TESU
(09-06-2020, 05:29 PM)allvia Wrote: I recommend anything that your send in a transcript ASAP for anything currently transferring in as UL; especially if it is required for your AOS (which is the only place you need UL). History here shows that what comes in as UL today - may not be given UL credit tomorrow*. Most people are getting UL from SDC and it is free to send the transcripts directly anyway so there is negative to doing it as soon as you earn the credit (still add it to your ACE when possible vs NCCRS only).  Note this sending in as often as you'd like only works if you're an active/enrolled student - not just one who as applied (as you get limited transcript evaluations as an applied only student - take a TECEP or the Cornerstone and you're active 1 year - send transcripts as often as you'd like, being an active student has perks beyond locking the catalog year). Although I'm answering this specific to the OP's question on TESU - it is a good idea for any school.

*I have often recommended people get their UL credit (earned and transcribed) even before their LL just for this reason.

Too bad my daughter has to wait until she's 18 to do this.

(09-08-2020, 12:36 AM)CableGuy98 Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 11:45 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote:
Quote:How important is it that I sign up right away for something, like a 1 credit course, at TESU?

Depends how long ago your 2018 catalog was established. Did you do any work towards it the first time around (like transfer in new ACE credits?) ? If you didn't actually enroll in anything that started that degree at that time, you may or may not be grandfathered, but hopefully you are.

I wouldn't pay for the monthly SDC plan until you have time to work on it - seems like a waste of $$$ to have the membership if you are busy taking other courses elsewhere.

The $199/mo is as far as I remember, the only option for college credit. You get 2 exams per month. You can take 3 extra per month at $70/mo each. So basically 15 credits for $409/mo.  I felt like the accounting ones went pretty fast because they are so similar - you'd go to the next course and it already had X% complete from doing the prior course.

This is from an earlier thread about SDC discounts- the discount is still valid as of July 2020.
total cost ends up being $1080.00 for a year of access- depending on how may courses you have and how much time you have to complete them.. it's actually a steal.

Hi to all here I post the study.com 50% discount on one year college accelerator.
I have paid for this it the beginning of this year.

https://study.com/academy/get-started.ht...dyyear50#7

this is the code: studyyear50

Nice, thanks for sharing the code with the rest!  I did something similar with my kids...unfortunately it took them awhile to complete just a few courses--so ended up costing me more than a course at a local cc. 
Shouldn't be the same for adults who may have familiarity with the topic though.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
Are there any penalties for not completing the 1 credit course or TECEP to get active?
(09-27-2020, 04:30 AM)ashkir Wrote: Are there any penalties for not completing the 1 credit course or TECEP to get active?

nope
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(09-27-2020, 04:30 AM)ashkir Wrote: Are there any penalties for not completing the 1 credit course or TECEP to get active?

The "penalty" is that you only get 2 transcript evaluations and you don't get access to the NJ library. Academically, if you don't enroll and stay enrolled every year then you risk losing your current catalog and having to reenroll with a less-desirable catalog to complete your degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

policies on tecep https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/t...ntact-info

This is my experience with signing up for a tecep but not taking it. just like it says in the policy. shows up somewhere as NT (not taken). no GPA impact.  No transcript impact. no refund.
Check your evaluation to see how many credits per 12 months you need to do to stay active. Using the 1 credit tecep may not meet that issue whether or not you take the exam.

Now the long version of my story.
Benefit: Signing up for it let me receive more than 2 evaluations and to get some UL courses preapproved since I was considered an enrolled student.
Instead of taking the tecep, I continued to work on my lower and upper level credits and got those courses evaluated.
Penalty: out the money of the tecep, but in my mind I rolled that cost into the application process to receive the extra evaluations and course approvals while getting to the 114 mark.

I did not take the tecep. Grade wise, nothing happened. It does not show up on my transcript (that I can see on online student services). It is not on my evaluation anymore either now that the term is over. No penalty I can see. just like the policy link says. (I had access to my state's research libraries so that wasn't an issue for me to write papers for UL at SDC. I'm not in jersey)

I’m still in the 12 months since my initial application. After the tecep term, I finished my UL and was schedule wise ready for SOS 110. I am in that now and will finish it with good grade. So, I know I’m good to go for meeting my 3 credits per 12 months minimum. planning on capstone to happen during the first 12 months after initial application, but that's not relevant.

What I am not sure of is this and to me it doesn't personally matter. If I had not enrolled in sos110 (or other course at tesu) and did not complete the 3 credit tecep, then would I have met the 3 credit per 12 month requirement? I hear the stories that say yes. But I think I am not hearing all of the parts of it. In my case, it doesn’t matter because I am taking the cornerstone (sos 110).
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 771 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,987 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 265 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch