Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which University with 91 Credits (75 Regional Accredited Colleges and 16 from ACE)
Which of the Big 3 would be the best choice in terms of expense and speed of acquisition? 

Courses I have:

GEs (including Precal) 46 credits (semester)
IT/CS (including Discrete Math, Stats & Business) 45 (semester)
--------

I briefly skimmed and read that CO requires 6 credits for a Bachelor's (cornerstone & capstone?). But, I'd still need at least 23 to earn a degree. Would using work experience via portfolio assessment be a good idea to acquire the last 23 units?
You can check the PLA Tips thread link in my sig to hear about the portfolio process (at least at TESU). As someone who got quite a bit of credit that way, if you can take an exam or online course to get the credit, that will probably be easier than doing the portfolio process.

What degree do you want? That will dictate where you should get it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Life Long Learning
instead of the big 3, maybe do WGU
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees.html

maybe the computer science or information technology degree
Where are you from and where did those credits come from? Are they from a regionally accredited community college or a nationally accredited college, a foreign college? As you have so many credits already and we don't really know what courses you have taken, you need to decide on a degree you want first.

So, think of the major. Once you got that down, find the school you want, I would go for one of the Big 3 or WGU, depending on the degree. Some schools don't have a "major" and only have concentrations or minors... we can make some adjustments after we get more details from you, we can provide advice, usually after we get more info on what your "end goal" is.

Side note: If the Big 3 or WGU is not what you're looking for, there are other competency based degree providers.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-26-2019, 05:55 PM)davewill Wrote: You can check the PLA Tips thread link in my sig to hear about the portfolio process (at least at TESU). As someone who got quite a bit of credit that way, if you can take an exam or online course to get the credit, that will probably be easier than doing the portfolio process.

What degree do you want? That will dictate where you should get it.

I'm interested in getting a Bachelor's in order to apply to Georgia Tech's OMSCS. I have taken courses to meet their prereq requirements (Data Structures/Algorithms, Programming etc) and because of those outside courses, the actual degree doesn't matter. It just needs to be from a regionally accredited University and obtained within 3 months or less.

(11-26-2019, 06:43 PM)bluebooger Wrote: instead of the big 3, maybe do WGU
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees.html

maybe the computer science or information technology degree

Yes, I considered WGU but even if I start in January their term is 6 months. I'd need maybe 45 credits to complete one of their IT degrees during that time. Not impossible but I don't want to push it. I want to apply for my MS in CS for Spring 2021 and that deadline is next July.

(11-26-2019, 06:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Where are you from and where did those credits come from?  Are they from a regionally accredited community college or a nationally accredited college, a foreign college?  As you have so many credits already and we don't really know what courses you have taken, you need to decide on a degree you want first.  

So, think of the major.  Once you got that down, find the school you want, I would go for one of the Big 3 or WGU, depending on the degree.  Some schools don't have a "major" and only have concentrations or minors... we can make some adjustments after we get more details from you, we can provide advice, usually after we get more info on what your "end goal" is.  

Side note: If the Big 3 or WGU is not what you're looking for, there are other competency based degree providers.

The title mentioned the type of credits. Perhaps I should've put that information in the body as well. 

75 Credits from Regionally Accredited (American) Colleges/Universities and 16 from ACE.
(11-26-2019, 10:00 AM)wellandgood Wrote: Which of the Big 3 would be the best choice in terms of expense and speed of acquisition? 

Courses I have:

--------

I briefly skimmed and read that CO requires 6 credits for a Bachelor's (cornerstone & capstone?). But, I'd still need at least 23 to earn a degree. Would using work experience via portfolio assessment be a good idea to acquire the last 23 units?

For us best to guide you it would be helpful of what exactly those credits/courses are. List in this order:
School (semester or quarter system)
Course #, course name, number of credits, grade if less than a C (even a C- is important)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(11-26-2019, 10:00 AM)wellandgood Wrote: Which of the Big 3 would be the best choice in terms of expense and speed of acquisition? 

Courses I have:

--------

It's not about what you're coming in with, because every school has different requirements for GE.  So you'd have to list the courses and let us look.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Courses I have:

--------

There aren't any colleges that award a degree just because you have 120 credits, your credits have to match the credits required, so it's impossible that you only need 23 credits because even between the big 3, their requirements differ. For instance, you'll need a lab science at Charter Oak but not Thomas Edison or Excelsior. Your business courses may over-fill the allowable electives, resulting in not being able to use them all. Like Danika said, at the very minimum you'll need to list everything you've earned so far.

One final thing, portfolio assessment has to demonstrate competency in an area that matches up to a class, so this assumes that the credit slots you have open will match to the skills you have. Sometimes it's faster and cheaper to complete the credit via testing out or a class.
(11-29-2019, 12:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It's not about what you're coming in with, because every school has different requirements for GE.  So you'd have to list the courses and let us look.

Exactly. We would need to fit your credits into a particular degree plan. The BACS at TESU could be a decent fit since you seem to have at least some of the hard to get courses and I'm sure that having the CS degree will help your chances getting into OMSCS, but even to know how many credits you'd need for a liberal studies degree we would need a list of what you've got.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 115 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 224 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,613 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 211 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,554 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,936 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,243 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,611 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden