Poll: Which master's based on these two choices (Poll)?
This poll is closed.
Master of Arts in Professional Development
0%
0 0%
Master of Science in Human Relations & Business
86.11%
31 86.11%
Makes no difference, they carry equal weight
13.89%
5 13.89%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which master's based on these two choices (Poll)?
I will be graduating with a master's degree from Amberton this fall (Nov'22).  I had planned on graduating with a MA in Professional Development (which I am fine with, I just need a/any master's degree) but I have just realized that by changing one planned course I would be able to graduate with their MS in in Human Relations and Business instead.  Looking for opinion/feedback on which degree I should opt for - there is no cost or time difference.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Personally, I think the MS in Human Relations & Business would look better on a resume. You might not need it right now, but it could be helpful for the future.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, FastTrackDegree, jsd
I agree with Rachel and it’s an MS, not an MA so that might open more doors for you too depending on where you want to go (if anywhere).
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 3 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • allvia, FastTrackDegree, rachel83az
I don’t really understand what either of these degrees are for careerwise. Based solely on the name of the degree, the second one seems more focused
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • allvia, FastTrackDegree
I think the MS HR&B has more marketability like Rachel said, and I also think that it's worth it for not having to explain to everyone who you talk to about it what a "Master of Arts in Professional Development" is.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • allvia, FastTrackDegree, rachel83az
I think it's also worth considering that you naturally took classes counting toward the MS in Human Relations and Business, which suggests you have a more focused/specific interest than the MA in Professional Development degree.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 2 users Like carrythenothing's post:
  • allvia, Vle045
MAPD is a bit generic in nature and sounds that way too. MSHR&B sounds better, looks better on paper and it shows you have taken specific requirements for the degree program. If I was deciding on either, I would chose MSHR over MAPD.

Here are the requirements for both degrees, judging by the degree contents, for the MAPD, you can mix/match many of the requirement areas. For the MSHR, you have specific requirements for each area. Are you transferring VESI courses into the degree?

I wonder if you can mix/match the MSHR to have the exact courses you would for the MAPD, and ask to have both awarded without doing any extra work, by transferring more ASU Freebie 15 grad credits into the program... So that's 15 extra credits as the "difference" in credits.

Master of Arts in Professional Development
I. Required Graduate Studies: 6 Hours
RGS6035 Theory & Application of Research Methods 3 hours
RGS6036 Ethics for Decision Making 3 hours

II. Major Requirements (5000/6000 Levels) 30 Hours
Thirty (30) semester hours of graduate courses selected by the student from one or more of the following areas:
Business Administration (ACC, BUS, ECO, FIN, MGT, MKT)

Communication
Counseling
Human Behavior and Development
Human Resources and Training
Psychology
Religion/Ethics
Sociology
Totals: 36 Hours

Master of Science in Human Relations and Business
I. Required Graduate Studies 6 Hours
RGS6035 Theory & Application of Research Methods 3 hours
RGS6036 Ethics for Decision Making 3 hours

II. Major Course Requirements (5000/6000 Levels) 30 Hours
A. Business Administration Courses
(Selected from courses with the following prefixes: ACC, BUS, ECO, FIN, MGT, MKT) 9 Hours
B. Communication Courses 6 Hours
C. Counseling, Human Behavior and Development, Human Resources and Training, Psychology Courses 9 Hours
D. Electives (5000/6000 Levels) 6 Hours
Totals: 36 Hours
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • allvia
(08-21-2022, 12:27 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: I think it's also worth considering that you naturally took classes counting toward the MS in Human Relations and Business, which suggests you have a more focused/specific interest than the MA in Professional Development degree.

This is a very good point, very insightful  Smile  - I did have the option of taking 'any courses' and I did end up at the MS naturally (well, one course swap difference)

(08-21-2022, 12:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: MAPD is a bit generic in nature and sounds that way too.  MSHR&B sounds better, looks better on paper and it shows you have taken specific requirements for the degree program.  If I was deciding on either, I would chose MSHR over MAPD.

Here are the requirements for both degrees, judging by the degree contents, for the MAPD, you can mix/match many of the requirement areas.  For the MSHR, you have specific requirements for each area.  Are you transferring VESI courses into the degree?

I wonder if you can mix/match the MSHR to have the exact courses you would for the MAPD, and ask to have both awarded without doing any extra work, by transferring more ASU Freebie 15 grad credits into the program... So that's 15 extra credits as the "difference" in credits.

I am not, and will not be, transferring in VESI courses; as I have already transferred in the 12 credits max from other schools. My goal is to get a single master's degree, and be done with formal education (although there are bets within my friends and family circle that there is a doctorate in my future). It is simply by luck (or personal interest as carrythenothing suggested) that I ended up with a one course decision away from the MS vs the MA I had planned on. I will graduate with 'a master's degree' this November either way.  But to answer your question - since the MA Professional Development does allow you to take any course(s), aside from the two required (same for all their degrees), technically all of their degree plans could be turned into an MAPD - but I doubt you'd talk any MBA or counseling student into making the switch  Smile  And No, you cannot graduate with the two degrees at the same time with the same courses, a second master's must have 18 or 24 new/different credit hours (depending on 2nd degree)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I don’t think MS versus MA has any different meaning in general, but in this case the MS has a major that sounds defined, even though the requirements don’t actually look all that focused. “Professional Development” sounds like what it is, a masters you can throw most anything at and it’ll stick.

I’d take the MS without a second thought.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Courcelles's post:
  • allvia
The answer depends on an individual's needs. One is not inherently better than the other.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sagan's post:
  • allvia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,666 516,818 4 hours ago
Last Post: nykorn
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 299 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 484 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,517 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,617 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 199 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 548 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  ENEB MBA/Master + OTHM level 8 Postgraduate | Combination Evaluation ecdw94 4 713 02-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Master’s (Titulo Propio) from Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona? lincolnlawyer 40 2,448 02-27-2024, 02:04 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer