Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which non-SDC/SL/etc. courses make it?
I'm currently building my degree plan to study at TESU, however, there is one aspect which I am having a bit of difficulty fully understanding.

Do courses have to have an exact equivalency to TESU courses, or TESU does accept some courses that don't have a direct equivalency? Is it possible to transfer credits from any course, from any RA school, as long as the course is ACE-evaluated? How does this work?

Also, is there more chance that you can transfer a course if it is as a Free Elective vs. an Area of Study course?
They do not need to be direct equivalencies but they do need to fulfill the objectives that TESU is looking for for each category. Have you already determined a degree program? It might be good to start building spreadsheet and start asking about specific courses you need fulfilled instead of asking these more general questions that are harder to answer without knowing your situation.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-19-2018, 09:14 PM)jsd Wrote: They do not need to be direct equivalencies but they do need to fulfill the objectives that TESU is looking for for each category. Have you already determined a degree program? It might be good to start building spreadsheet and start asking about specific courses you need fulfilled instead of asking these more general questions that are harder to answer without knowing your situation.

Yes, I'm mostly finished building it. I've gotten the important part that you need to look at the TESU-Study.com/SL/Saylor equivalency lists to know which courses will be accepted, and so far I've been selecting from those courses, but from reading the forum, it feels as though it's possible to transfer many other courses.
Credits from RA schools don't have to be ACE evaluated, TESU will, in general, transfer them. The only RA courses I've heard of them rejecting are ones that they label developmental (think remedial for us old-timers). Think of courses like "Prep for College English". As far as the equivalency, it's up to TESU. If they have any question, or if you disagree with an equivalency they assign, they will request a course description or syllabus to help them decide, but usually the course title will tell the tale.

ACE credits will also generally transfer (except for Shmoop at the moment), but TESU can choose to reject any provider or course they wish. That's why it's good to get them planned into your academic eval before taking them, if possible. If they haven't established an equivalency for a particular course, it's possible they will wait until you actually try to transfer it before establishing one...hard on the student.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • pws
Short answer - they will take all kinds of courses, and most would not have a direct equivalency. There are thousands of RA schools in the US, each with it's own list of courses, and TESU will take almost everything. If they don't have a good equivalency for the course, they will either give it one, or fall on the old standby -X99 (so FEL-199 or ENG-399, etc.).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,517 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,542 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 697 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 265 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 411 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,469 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77