Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which provider? English & Math
My friend can't access a CLEP testing center at the moment.
They're looking for recommendations to get the following:
They are going for the ASNSM Math at TESU and missing a few credits.

English Comp I & II - 6 Credits 
Calculus I - 3 Credits

Does the new Study.com English Comp courses come through as English Composition I & II?
I know the older English 104 and 105 doesn't transfer, does the new English 204 and 205 work?
Is Calculus I at Study.com better or at StraighterLine or somewhere else?
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
There is currently no equivalency for SDC 204 & 205. For English Comp, I would recommend either the TECEPs (easier) or Sophia (cheapest). The TECEPs are going to be similar to the CLEP except they can be taken at home.

For Calculus, either SL or Saylor. Saylor if he has a strong grasp of Calc and doesn't need to study. $25 for a test. On the other hand, SL is structured such that the final exam is more of a formality; get a good score on the quizzes and you can completely flunk the final. Plus, it's open book and you're allowed a 8.5x11 sheet of notes: https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com
(03-24-2021, 01:53 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: My friend can't access a CLEP testing center at the moment.
They're looking for recommendations to get the following:
They are going for the ASNSM Math at TESU and missing a few credits.

English Comp I & II - 6 Credits 
Calculus I - 3 Credits

Does the new Study.com English Comp courses come through as English Composition I & II?
I know the older English 104 and 105 doesn't transfer, does the new English 204 and 205 work?
Is Calculus I at Study.com better or at StraighterLine or somewhere else?

The Sophia English courses are no walk in the park.  They require several papers each (I think 7 in the first English when we quit and decided to CLEP.)  Other people on this board have written stories about the extended time Sophia takes grading papers, and the unfair guidelines used to grade the papers. I would wait if you could until more centers open since the virus numbers are going down.  Hopefully, things will be fully open by the summer break at least.  Our testing center is also currently closed, and I am traveling to another state just to take CLEP exams.  To me certain exams are definitely worth the wait.
I definitely agree with the assessment that the Sophia courses are not easy. This is why I suggested the TECEPs. The TECEPs also happen to be RA credit, something that could be important if the friend decides to continue to a higher degree past the ASNSM.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • ss20ts
(03-24-2021, 02:53 PM)Dorothy44 Wrote: The Sophia English courses are no walk in the park.  They require several papers each (I think 7 in the first English when we quit and decided to CLEP.)  Other people on this board have written stories about the extended time Sophia takes grading papers, and the unfair guidelines used to grade the papers. I would wait if you could until more centers open since the virus numbers are going down.  Hopefully, things will be fully open by the summer break at least.  Our testing center is also currently closed, and I am traveling to another state just to take CLEP exams.  To me certain exams are definitely worth the wait.

I had a nightmare taking English Comp 2 on Sophia. I had the same grader for every assignment except one. I don't even know how I had the same grader for every paper but that one. The one who was different gave me full credit. The one I had over and over marked me off for things that weren't even part of the assignment. I lost points on every assignment for the APA formatting which I followed and had no problem at CSU Global or UMPI with. I've earned full credit on every paper at both schools in the rubric for formatting so that made no sense. I also took it right at the end of the summer of free Sophia so they were hammered. I wonder if they were cranky from grading so many papers. I hope they aren't taking a week or more to grade papers still. I wouldn't think so since the free period is long over. I dropped the class after submitting my rough draft and decided to take the class at UMPI. I saved myself a ton of stress and got an A+ on my paper which was 2 pages long.....so much better than Sophia. I got a perfect score on my APA formatting on it. Go figure.

If you live you near a state that has open CLEP testing centers, it's definitely something to consider. The centers have been closed here for over a year and no signs of reopening anytime soon unfortunately. The ones near me are located on college campuses and they're not open to the public at all. Students are being tested weekly. 

(03-24-2021, 03:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I definitely agree with the assessment that the Sophia courses are not easy. This is why I suggested the TECEPs. The TECEPs also happen to be RA credit, something that could be important if the friend decides to continue to a higher degree past the ASNSM.

Are TECEP's transferable to other schools? Or are they in house exams only like CSU Global's exams? I asked my academic advisor about them again and he said that I had to be enrolled in a class to take them. I was looking at a few. 
TECEPs can be taken by ANYONE and they are transferrable. There is a short registration/application process that you have to go through in order to be allowed to take TECEPs but they are more like UExcels than CSU Global's exams.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • ss20ts
I found all the other Sophia courses fairly easy except the English courses. There were a few other graphic things I did not like appreciate for example in Art History or religion, but I found the courses to be mostly fair. There is a list of colleges that offer cheaper courses here somewhere especially for something so easy as English. Community colleges are not that expensive compared to other colleges. Many of them are online now, and that is a good thing. You could also count these toward your regional credits that you have to have too.
I'd like to point out that Sophia's English Comp I has five assignments or "Touchstones", and of those, #4 is simply a rewrite of #3, incorporating revisions suggested by the grader.

Speaking of graders and grading, there have been many complaints of extended grading times and capricious graders.  As I recall, these complaints were made largely at the time when Sophia was offering all of their courses for free, while virtually every college, university and testing center was closed.  

For whatever it may be worth, neither I nor a family member who took English Comp I experienced these issues.  I took the course before the promotion, and the family member afterwards.  In each case, assignments were graded within a week and grading seemed eminently fair.

Neither of us tried English Comp II.
[-] The following 2 users Like ctcarl's post:
  • jch, NC Coach
If you're going to TESU, and are a proficient writer & typist, I highly recommend the TECEP's, I thought English Comp II was very easy, and I took it cold with not a minute of prep time.

If you're not a proficient typist, then you'd have a difficult time doing the CLEP as well, since they both require creating paragraphs on the fly.

Just be aware that not all schools will accept these exams in transfer. Just because a school will put them on a transcript doesn't mean that they will be accepted by other schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com
(03-25-2021, 08:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you're going to TESU, and are a proficient writer & typist, I highly recommend the TECEP's, I thought English Comp II was very easy, and I took it cold with not a minute of prep time.

If you're not a proficient typist, then you'd have a difficult time doing the CLEP as well, since they both require creating paragraphs on the fly.

Just be aware that not all schools will accept these exams in transfer.  Just because a school will put them on a transcript doesn't mean that they will be accepted by other schools.

My daughter just took the English CLEP in January.  It was only two short essays.  Very simple.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,197 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,743 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 787 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,348 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,835 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,690 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,730 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 6,991 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP