Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who transfers in old computer science credits?
Hi, my husband has 87 (RA) credits from 1999-2003. Lots are in computer science, unsure which if any could be transferred. Several biology and advanced calculus. SQL I think, databases… Anyway. Does anyone have experience with this? Can you point to which schools we might have the most luck transferring in some of them?

He also has a recent project management certificate and business analytics certificate from a local polytechnic school. Do we have these evaluated independently or send directly to the school of choice? He’d want an inexpensive bachelors degree, which one does not matter, though ideally project management or management/computer information systems? Was thinking EC’s BSIT, but maybe only if he could bring in some of the CS stuff…he wants somewhere he can transfer most of the courses in based on what he has or can complete through ACE sources. He ultimately wants an MBA.

He may consider the BOG AAS with some kind of concentration if it helps somehow!

Thanks for the insights!
I doubt if anybody would take them
technology changes so fast that the credits "expire"
I think most schools have a time limit of 5 years
It depends. TESU will almost certainly take the old credits, but only up to 9 (IIRC) could be used in the AOS. The rest would be electives. I don't think Excelsior brings in credits that old, but I could be wrong. Your best bet would be to apply to both schools and see where they put what credits. Then, come back here with the evaluation(s) and we can help fill in the gaps.

For the certificates, you don't have them evaluated. You would send proof of the certificate to the school. Not all schools give credit for things like PM or Bus. Analytics, though. It depends on the certificate. If the polytechnic school is accredited and granted credits for the courses taken in pursuit of the certificates, that makes it easy. You'd only need to send a transcript to whatever school is being attended.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Last year, I transferred in some ancient CS courses (so old they were listed as "data processing"... literally from the early 1980s). I was actually a little shocked that TESU accepted them, but they did... as general electives, I think. If I'm remembering correctly, it was either 6 or 9 credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • rachel83az
You should list the credits out, and in this case you should likely include the year competed.
See this post for a sample of how to do that - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid335173
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

List out the credits as allvia suggested, but I'd be surprised if calculus (at minimum) isn't accepted.

(05-16-2022, 01:37 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It depends. TESU will almost certainly take the old credits, but only up to 9 (IIRC) could be used in the AOS. The rest would be electives. I don't think Excelsior brings in credits that old, but I could be wrong. Your best bet would be to apply to both schools and see where they put what credits. Then, come back here with the evaluation(s) and we can help fill in the gaps.

For the certificates, you don't have them evaluated. You would send proof of the certificate to the school. Not all schools give credit for things like PM or Bus. Analytics, though. It depends on the certificate. If the polytechnic school is accredited and granted credits for the courses taken in pursuit of the certificates, that makes it easy. You'd only need to send a transcript to whatever school is being attended.

Only the School of Business and Management (BSBA degree and certificate programs) and the School of Applied Science and Technology (BS in technical professions) explicitly note a currency requirement and it seems fairly generous.

The School of Applied Science and Technology will accept "up to half of the credits (up to 22 credits) in the area of study [...] regardless of the age of these credits" (through the demonstration of currency process)

The School of Business and Management says that "within the BSBA Areas of Study, up to 50 percent of the courses in the area of study may be older than 10 years from the most current date of application to the University."
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • rachel83az
Okay, let’s see how this goes then!

CHEM1310 General chemistry 4
ENGL1101 English comp I 3
MATH1501 Calc I 4
PSYC1000 Adjustments-college life 1
BIOL1510 Biological principles 4
CHEM1311 Inorganic Chemistry 3
CHEM1312 Inorganic chem lab 1
CS1311 Intro to computing 3
ENGL1102 English comp II 3
MATH1502 Calculus II
CS1050 Constructing Proofs 3
CS1312 Object-oriented Programming 3
INTA1200 American Govt 3
MATH2601 Calculus III for CS 3
PHYS2211 Intro Physics I 3
CS2130 Languages & Translation 4
ECE2030 Intro to Comp Engr 3
HIST2111 United States to 1877 3
PHYS2212 Intro to Physics II 4
CS2200 Systems and Networks 4
CS2335 Software Practicum 3
HPS1040 Health 2
MATH3012 Applied combinatorics 3 *this was a D grade so maybe won’t come in
CS2340 Objects and design 3
CS3500 Theory I 4
CS4400 Intro to database systems 3
LCC3401 Technical Comm Practices 2
PSYC1101 intro to psychology 3

There’s also the semesters he spent in CS co-ops:

COOP2001 Spring co-op assignment 12
COOP2008 Fall co-op assignment 12
COOP4005 Summer co-op assignment 12
COOP4001 Spring co-op assignment 12

As for the polytechnic certificates, they are from an accredited institution but I’ll have to ask if they’re listed on a transcript. We do have copies of the physical certificates for sure.

Thanks guys!!
What school(s) are those courses from?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-16-2022, 10:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: What school(s) are those courses from?

Georgia Institute of Technology

(Edit: all except the certificates)
I think the computer science courses have the shortest expiration time ...
Even the computer science courses from 2010 are not valid anymore. Only basic principles are the same...
I know many guys who earned computer science degree in 1980's but they don't make living from programming.
Back then, we didn't have Java, Python, PHP, C++, etc...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 300 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,337 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  BS in Computer Science Clmouss 5 279 04-01-2024, 12:36 AM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 455 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 385 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 891 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,532 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 423 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 599 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 422 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM