Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why aren't transcript reviews automated?
<rant> Why is it that here in the 21st century, we have self-driving cars, and growing levels of artificial intelligence to handle mundane tasks, but when you apply to any of the "Big 3," transcript reviews are still manually executed by a person?  All of that activity should be automated and the only time a person should be involved is when a new course comes in that the school hadn't seen before or if a student has a question about how a specific course got transferred into the college.  That, and maybe a manual review to validate the AI is working correctly.  </rant>
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
Every school has human review of transcripts. There are around 4,000 colleges and universities in the U.S. plus an unknown number of universities around the world. Each school has hundreds to thousands of courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jamshid666, Muldoon, ss20ts
(09-23-2019, 11:37 AM)sanantone Wrote: Every school has human review of transcripts. There are around 4,000 colleges and universities in the U.S. plus an unknown number of universities around the world. Each school has hundreds to thousands of courses.

Which seems like an awful waste of time to me.  The first time a student transfers in from Whatever U., those courses should be added to a database along with the associated local equivalency.  When another student from Whatever U. transfers in, an automated system should compare the records from what was captured by the admission of the first student and then flag those classes that aren't already in the database for manual review.  Upon that review, those courses would also be added to the database.  Over time, as more schools and courses are added to the database, the process should become a lot more efficient and flags for manual review should happen less frequently.  If the school wanted to be strict, maybe add an aging field to review how a course transfers in every 3-4 years to make sure the originating college is still meeting the standards of the local college, but that would still be a lot less manual overhead than how things currently work.
John L. Watson
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
The Big Three don't get enough transcripts to be worth worrying about. Why would they buy an AI or whatever to automate a process that one person can comfortably do? It just doesn't make economic sense.

I mean look at the graduation numbers for TESU or COSC sometime, it's a pretty small number of people you're talking about
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • jamshid666, ss20ts
(09-23-2019, 11:54 AM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 11:37 AM)sanantone Wrote: Every school has human review of transcripts. There are around 4,000 colleges and universities in the U.S. plus an unknown number of universities around the world. Each school has hundreds to thousands of courses.

Which seems like an awful waste of time to me.  The first time a student transfers in from Whatever U., those courses should be added to a database along with the associated local equivalency.  When another student from Whatever U. transfers in, an automated system should compare the records from what was captured by the admission of the first student and then flag those classes that aren't already in the database for manual review.  Upon that review, those courses would also be added to the database.  Over time, as more schools and courses are added to the database, the process should become a lot more efficient and flags for manual review should happen less frequently.  If the school wanted to be strict, maybe add an aging field to review how a course transfers in every 3-4 years to make sure the originating college is still meeting the standards of the local college, but that would still be a lot less manual overhead than how things currently work.

They probably haven't seen transcripts from a tenth of the schools in the U.S. Among the schools they have seen, the transcripts they've received likely don't come close to having all the courses.

TESU and the other two have been around since the 1970s. I had a lot of credits that weren't in TESU's PLA database. The Big 3 will never gather enough transcripts to justify spending money on an AI program that can do such a sophisticated task. These schools will probably be closed before they see transcripts from half the colleges out there, which would mean that humans will still be reviewing most of the transcripts. 

Colleges and universities do keep a database of the courses they've reviewed. TESU's PLA database is largely based on courses they've seen from other schools.

There's also more to reviewing transcripts than matching course codes in a database. A school may not have been accredited or regionally accredited in a semester listed on the transcript but is accredited now.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jamshid666, ss20ts
There are so many reasons it can't be automated.

-They need to make sure each transcript is legit and not faked.

Also transferring isn't all black and white:

-Different courses transfer differently depending on major (WGU for example accepts different clep and ace depending on school of IT vs business. My school didn't give me credit for a DSST but they would have had I a picked a different major)

-The age of the course plays a role (lots of schools say x number of credits over 10 years old, etc. Technology computer-based majors usually have to be newer credits for AOS, etc.)

-Different requirements that make things confusing as to where to place credits (x% of credits at school must be earned at the institution, x% of major, x number of p/f courses, etc.) For me they had to move around where my credits fell to meet the residency requirements set by the school.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • jamshid666, ss20ts
Thanks everyone for the great input, lots of items I had not considered, the biggest of which is that the "Big 3" aren't as big in enrollment numbers as I thought they would be.
John L. Watson
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
(09-23-2019, 10:18 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: Thanks everyone for the great input, lots of items I had not considered, the biggest of which is that the "Big 3" aren't as big in enrollment numbers as I thought they would be.

That's because Americans are dumb! Sad
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • jamshid666
Every school does have a database of courses people have brought in, and then given equivalency for. But, you have to get a LOT of transcripts over a long period of time for that database to become large enough to be of use; and even then, every person brings in a different amount of credits, from different schools, to different degree plans. It's much more complex than you can imagine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If someone has a prior degree, then they have to differentiate between credits earned before and after conferral. The old credits might fit in gen ed and electives, but they can't be used in the major because you need 30 new credits.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 455 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU CIS-194 Transcript vesparza15 3 588 10-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Last Post: vesparza15
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,347 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Lost transcript mlohjj 13 1,271 11-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,844 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Transcript Designations vintage_jacket 2 610 09-08-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  My master "Omni Transcript" jsd 26 6,516 09-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Last Post: jsd
Lightbulb "Arizona State Wants to Revolutionize the College Transcript" jsd 6 1,357 08-12-2021, 10:06 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Admissions/Transcript issues *ugh* Vle045 12 1,607 07-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Templates: High School/Home School Diploma & Transcript bjcheung77 1 1,136 06-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: P226mem