Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would appreciate feedback for direction
I was in foster care from 5 to 18 and unfortunately didn't have much direction or support with my education planning. I decided to go black to school and have completed 79 units at a local community college in California,and did pretty well. I took many business and psychology classes and multiple social science classes. Now I've turned 30 and want to be awarded both an associates and bachelors degree as quickly as possible. TESC sounds promising to me in achieving this goal quickly. I am glad I've found is site and am hopeful someone can help me. I want toget as much done via testing before enrolling to save money. Any recommendations on a major or what steps to take next would be appreciated. Should I pay the 75 for an evaluation? Thank you I advance for direction! Below are the classes I've taken at a community college.

Class. Units

GS53 college/life manag. 3
Eng 125 College writing skills 3
Eng 126 college Reading skills 3
Eng 1A Reading & Comp 4
Psy 2 General Psych 3
Psy 25 Human Sexuality 3
Psy 16 Abnormai Psy 3
BA 10 intro to business 3
BA 33 man relations in bus 3
Health 1 contemp health issues 3
Biol 5 Human Biology with lab 4
Soc1a intro to sociology 3
Educ 30 survey of education 3
ASL 1 Beg Am Sign Lang 4
Speech2 interpersonal comm. 3
CIT 12 computer literacy 3
PolSci2 American Govmt. 3
Crim 13 Contsitutional rights 3
Human 11 modern Humanities 3
Geog 4a world geog 3
Anth4 cultural anthro 3
Amind31 American Indian culture 3
Amind34 am Indian/society 3
WkXp19 work experience 6
Pe 9 phys. Fitness 1
GeorgeCa Wrote:I was in foster care from 5 to 18 and unfortunately didn't have much direction or support with my education planning. I decided to go black to school and have completed 79 units at a local community college in California,and did pretty well. I took many business and psychology classes and multiple social science classes. Now I've turned 30 and want to be awarded both an associates and bachelors degree as quickly as possible. TESC sounds promising to me in achieving this goal quickly. I am glad I've found is site and am hopeful someone can help me. I want toget as much done via testing before enrolling to save money. Any recommendations on a major or what steps to take next would be appreciated. Should I pay the 75 for an evaluation? Thank you I advance for direction! Below are the classes I've taken at a community college.

Class. Units

Eng 1A Reading & Comp 4
Psy 2 General Psych 3
Psy 25 Human Sexuality 3
Psy 16 Abnormai Psy 3
ASL 1 Beg Am Sign Lang 4
Crim 13 Contsitutional rights 3
Geog 4a world geog 3
Anth4 cultural anthro 3
WkXp19 work experience 6
Pe 9 phys. Fitness 1

I'm totally feeling your pain, my friend. I was left to fend for myself at an early age, as well. I got my GED shortly after dropping out of high school. Now, I have my bachelors degree. And I GUARANTEE that this forum can help you do the same!

One issue with some colleges in California is that they are approved to operate by the state, but are unaccredited. That might make it difficult to transfer credits to some other schools. Also, youro GS53 course looks like non-transferable institutional credit. Aside from that course and the "work experience" course, you've got some REALLY solid general education courses.

My advice is definitely to apply and have your credits evaluated.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
What are your career goals?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:What are your career goals?

I am very interested in social justice and human rights. I'd enjoy being a program manager perhaps in the nonprofit or governmental agency. I wish I knew what my career goals were.i really enjoyed working for a statewide nonprofit that worked to empower young people to be grassroots leaders in their government. Thanks for replying and sorry for my half ass answer, lol
Thanks for your words of encouragement! It can be tough fending for yourself in this complicated world. The junior college I went to is accredited thank goodness, Fresno City College part of a statewide college system. Thanks for the hope " if I can do it,ANYONE can do it! "
Well done on what you've accomplished so far! The good news is that you have basically completed your general ed requirements as well as most of your free electives. That means you can concentrate on classes/ exams in your major (may I suggest Sanantone's Social Science degree plan on the wiki?). Here is where I think your classes would fit in a degree plan. Best wishes with your studies.

I. General Education Requirements
Eng 1A Reading & Comp 4
NEED ENG102 - English Comp II 3 (CLEP or SL)
NEED MAT-115 ALEKS Intermediate Algebra 3
Psy 2 General Psych 3
Psy 25 Human Sexuality 3
Psy 16 Abnormai Psy 3
Anth4 cultural anthro 3
NEED SL Business Ethics or DSST Ethics in America 3
ASL 1 Beg Am Sign Lang 4
Geog 4a world geog 3

II. Area of Study: Pick a plan from Sanantone’s lists  (33, 18 UL*)

III. Free Electives (have 19, need 8 FEMA)
WkXp19 work experience 6
Pe 9 phys. Fitness 1

(Developmental Classes?)
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Before I forget to say this- you easily have 12 hours of 200-level social science classes in your general ed coursework that could count toward a social science major. You could take two 6-hour CLEPs (A&I Lit and Social Science and History, for example) to fill in the gen eds and move Amind 31,34, Psy 16 and 25 into your social science major classes. Then you would just focus on upper- level credits. Unfortunately, TESC no longer accepts comm college credit as upper level, but those classes should work as part of your major.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
Hi George,

First let me say…you are AMAZING! No one gets this far without drive and believing in their potential. You have done such a great job despite not having someone by bloodline in your corner routing for you. (Maybe you had someone encourage you? Maybe you did it on your own?) In any case…you have demonstrated what you CAN do…more than what you CAN'T do, and I deeply admire that trait. Especially when someone says "I can't change the past…but I sure as heck can change what's happening now and my reaction to it!" Plus you want to go into a helping profession. To quote that Jerry McGuire movie, "You had me at hello". I think you will find that Instant Cert is like an online family. People bust on each other, but there is a LOT of love and guidance on this site and I am sure that as long as you need to use it, it will be a source of help and inspiration for you. The advice on credits you have been given is good. I am sure in the next few days a few other members will chime in with "degree programs" which is why some are asking you what you are into. So trust yourself and go into something you think will work for YOU Smile I am sure there will be jobs in social service. The burnout rate is high and the demand is even higher. Your unique background will be a plus in this kind of work. There are all different levels a career in a helping profession can lead to. Let's see the "degree plans" that come up and which one speaks to you. I offer you a warm welcome and my support as you continue your journey in higher education and more importantly self accomplishment. Boy, I hope I am still active when you finally are done and post your "I'm done!" post here.

All the best,
T

[quote=GeorgeCa]I was in foster care from 5 to 18 and unfortunately didn't have much direction or support with my education planning. I decided to go black to school and have completed 79 units at a local community college in California,and did pretty well. I took many business and psychology classes and multiple social science classes. Now I've turned 30 and want to be awarded both an associates and bachelors degree as quickly as possible. TESC sounds promising to me in achieving this goal quickly. I am glad I've found is site and am hopeful someone can help me. I want toget as much done via testing before enrolling to save money. Any recommendations on a major or what steps to take next would be appreciated. Should I pay the 75 for an evaluation? Thank you I advance for direction! Below are the classes I've taken at a community college.
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
Just a quick bump to provide links to some helpful spreadsheets.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
I checked out what Fresno City College says about College Wiritng Skills, and you know, TESC might just take it as part of the 6 hours of English Composition. Here's their description from the website. What do you all think?

ENGL 125 - WRITING SKILLS FOR COLLEGE
4 units, 4 lecture hours, (Credit/No Credit), (Formerly English A and 25)
PREREQUISITE: Designated score on English placement test, or satisfactory completion of English 252 or 282. Not recommended for students learning English as a second language.

Develops the process of writing, revising and finishing short papers, including logical development and organization of ideas. Emphasizes avoiding common writing errors; develops critical thinking and writing skills by reading model essays by analyzing and utilizing rhetorical strategies appropriate to purpose and audience. Develops basic research skills. Meets A.A./A.S. degree requirements for writing. Prepares students for English 1A.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,036 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  TESU BA MATH plan - feedback appreciated MeOldChina 8 2,877 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: MeOldChina
  Feedback Request for TESU BALS Humanities plan infrar3d 12 2,949 03-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  [noob] Looking for direction clmccullough@kc.rr.com 10 2,085 10-29-2017, 01:24 AM
  Business in Society TECEP Feedback Please runnergirlnae 18 5,783 06-14-2017, 01:34 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  Specific Exam Feedback Sparkle93 1 975 05-27-2017, 06:39 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  COSC Health Information Management Degree Plan - Feedback Needed daristotle 1 1,009 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM
  Possible Degree Plan Feedback - Accounting TESU lmckown 3 1,017 04-28-2017, 12:00 AM
Last Post: lmckown
  Looking for feedback on my (version of dfrecore's) TESU / Study.com Degree Plan nerd 4 883 02-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Last Post: nerd
  Help with Direction Taliesin 2 672 01-30-2017, 03:14 PM