Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[noob] Looking for direction
Good afternoon all!

I've been reading this forum for some time now and recently joined to participate in the fun.  I'm talking to both TESU and Charter Oak about their respective programs but wanted to runit by you all to make sure that I'm headed in the correct direction.

I'm looking to get a BSBA or BSBM degree and don't have any credits to xfer in.  I've been told by both TESU and COSC that I need to apply first then they'll help me with aligning my DIY testing.  Any help here would be great.  I've seen several course outlines but am not sure if they meet my needs or not.  HELP!!!

I appreciate your help and for taking time to read this post.

Thanks!
Chris
Hi Chris,

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the articles on our wikia page: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

The wikia will help you gain an understanding of how it all works. There are also some degree plans you may be interested in. Keep in mind colleges offer their services for profit, so they might not offer the same DIY testing advice we'll be able to offer here.
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joeman200's post:
  • clmccullough@kc.rr.com
All the info you require are available at your fingertips, you can start by getting your free credits done first...
Read the Beginners Guide/Spreadsheet/Wiki and review the templates I currently have placed in the Guide...
BTW, many people ask me "where is the guide", it's in the very first thread... it's a sticky, you can't miss it!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • clmccullough@kc.rr.com
(10-17-2017, 02:06 PM)Joeman200 Wrote: Hi Chris,

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the articles on our wikia page: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

The wikia will help you gain an understanding of how it all works.  There are also some degree plans you may be interested in.  Keep in mind colleges offer their services for profit, so they might not offer the same DIY testing advice we'll be able to offer here.

Thank you for the details.  I'll post updates as they become available.

(10-17-2017, 02:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: All the info you require are available at your fingertips, you can start by getting your free credits done first...
Read the Beginners Guide/Spreadsheet/Wiki and review the templates I currently have placed in the Guide...
BTW, many people ask me "where is the guide", it's in the very first thread... it's a sticky, you can't miss it!

Many thanks for your reply and guidance.
Here is my BSBA in General Management degree plan for TESU.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 37.32 KB / Downloads: 10)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • clmccullough@kc.rr.com
(10-17-2017, 01:14 PM)clmccullough@kc.rr.com Wrote: Good afternoon all!

I've been reading this forum for some time now and recently joined to participate in the fun.  I'm talking to both TESU and Charter Oak about their respective programs but wanted to runit by you all to make sure that I'm headed in the correct direction.

I'm looking to get a BSBA or BSBM degree and don't have any credits to xfer in.  I've been told by both TESU and COSC that I need to apply first then they'll help me with aligning my DIY testing.  Any help here would be great.  I've seen several course outlines but am not sure if they meet my needs or not.  HELP!!!

Thanks!
Chris

If TESU or COSC actually helped you align your DIY testing plan, there would be no use for this forum. I would be astonished if that were the case. DIY is, by it's very nature, doing it YOURSELF without the direct advising of an advisor.

Advisors help enrolled students - to expect that kind of help from the college for free is unrealistic. How could they do that? Who pays the salary of those advisors?

OTOH, the *volunteer* members here can give YOU advice and suggestions about possible ways to craft this degree on your own - for the most part. It may be imperfect, but after you've spent time following the suggestions in this thread- including previous threads, you'll be at least 75% of the way to doing this on your own. The remaining 25% you can learn as you go.

If, however, you really feel like you need the advisor to walk you through, you'll have to enroll at TESU/COSC to get that kind of help. Enrollment at those schools, you'll find, is the most expensive way to get that degree - but it is still a possibility. If you're patient and allow yourself a month or two to learn the ropes, you'll shave the cost of your degree significantly.
(10-17-2017, 06:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote: If TESU or COSC actually helped you align your DIY testing plan, there would be no use for this forum.  I would be astonished if that were the case.  DIY is, by it's very nature, doing it YOURSELF without the direct advising of an advisor.

Advisors help enrolled students - to expect that kind of help from the college for free is unrealistic. How could they do that?  Who pays the salary of those advisors?

OTOH, the *volunteer* members here can give YOU advice and suggestions about possible ways to craft this degree on your own - for the most part.  It may be imperfect, but after you've spent time following the suggestions in this thread- including previous threads, you'll be at least 75% of the way to doing this on your own.  The remaining 25% you can learn as you go.  

If, however, you really feel like you need the advisor to walk you through, you'll have to enroll at TESU/COSC to get that kind of help.  Enrollment at those schools, you'll find, is the most expensive way to get that degree - but it is still a possibility.  If you're patient and allow yourself a month or two to learn the ropes, you'll shave the cost of your degree significantly.

I'm going to agree with cookderosa - TESU and COSC will NOT give you the kind of help you want.  They will not tell you what outside courses/exams you can take to test out of a degree (maybe a couple but not an entire degree).  Their job is to get you to take as many courses as possible at their school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • clmccullough@kc.rr.com, jsd, Life Long Learning
It'd be nice (and expected, really) if the school advisors knew more than the volunteers here on the forum... but I agree with dfrecore. That's not often the case.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • clmccullough@kc.rr.com
Advisors did not help me do a DIY plan from any of the Big 3 and I applied to all 3.

I did find one advisor that was able after the fact to get one college to accept more of my major requirements with existing credits that I had. Other than one the rest were near useless.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • clmccullough@kc.rr.com
(10-17-2017, 05:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here is my BSBA in General Management degree plan for TESU.

thank you sir!

(10-17-2017, 06:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 01:14 PM)clmccullough@kc.rr.com Wrote: Good afternoon all!

Thanks!
Chris

If TESU or COSC actually helped you align your DIY testing plan, there would be no use for this forum.  I would be astonished if that were the case.  DIY is, by it's very nature, doing it YOURSELF without the direct advising of an advisor.

Advisors help enrolled students - to expect that kind of help from the college for free is unrealistic. How could they do that?  Who pays the salary of those advisors?

OTOH, the *volunteer* members here can give YOU advice and suggestions about possible ways to craft this degree on your own - for the most part.  It may be imperfect, but after you've spent time following the suggestions in this thread- including previous threads, you'll be at least 75% of the way to doing this on your own.  The remaining 25% you can learn as you go.  

If, however, you really feel like you need the advisor to walk you through, you'll have to enroll at TESU/COSC to get that kind of help.  Enrollment at those schools, you'll find, is the most expensive way to get that degree - but it is still a possibility.  If you're patient and allow yourself a month or two to learn the ropes, you'll shave the cost of your degree significantly.

I truly appreciate you sharing without the fluff.  Definitely makes me believe that I've made the best decision to use this forum to help me along my path.  Thanks again!
[-] The following 1 user Likes clmccullough@kc.rr.com's post:
  • Joeman200

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Direction Taliesin 2 661 01-30-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Brand New here - Looking for some Direction kirby1088 13 1,356 01-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Would appreciate feedback for direction GeorgeCa 16 1,638 02-05-2014, 03:14 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  TESC eval complete. Need direction/advice Oldschoollear 6 827 12-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Westerner
  Need Help with Direction....please! Im a BIG Newbie abc1234 10 1,361 05-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Last Post: AlbaTiVo
  Noob questions about TESC changes champ0608 1 515 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Last Post: champ0608
  Noob here few IT/CIS questions Peacefulguide 2 582 02-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Last Post: IgnazSemmelweis
  Newbie looking for direction with Charter Oaks actg101 7 1,094 04-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Please point me in the right direction vintagemother 16 2,037 11-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Last Post: vintagemother
  Please steer me in the right direction! pflournoy 6 1,522 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Last Post: MelB8tz