Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would this work? COSC GRE Out
So, theoretically, your knowledge base will have to be the equivalent to roughly 30 credits in biology (half upper level) 30 credits in chemistry (half upper level) and 30 credits in physics (half upper level) plus the mathematical foundation that accompanies those fields. This is so flipping crazy, that if you manage to pull this off, you should go take the MCAT just for shits and giggles. Seriously. Wow. (of course you can't get into medical school this way, but wouldn't it be fun?)
Just wanted to post a quick reply. I just moved, so getting "schoolwork" done has been on the back burner. So far, I passed the English Composition with Essay CLEP and Analyzing and Interpreting Literature English Literature CLEP. Now, I'm working on College Algebra ALEKS and FEMA free courses!! I'm gonna study my bum off to pass my first GRE when they have another test (I haven't even looked to see the date yet).
Warning! ALEKS courses currently aren't ACE approved. They are only approved up to 09/30/2013.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
funkEpunkEmonkE Wrote:Just wanted to post a quick reply. I just moved, so getting "schoolwork" done has been on the back burner. So far, I passed the English Composition with Essay CLEP and Analyzing and Interpreting Literature English Literature CLEP. Now, I'm working on College Algebra ALEKS and FEMA free courses!! I'm gonna study my bum off to pass my first GRE when they have another test (I haven't even looked to see the date yet).

You'll need to plan the timing of the GREs carefully. When I took the exam, it was only offered 3 times a year - April, October, and November.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I am bumping an old thread just to share this gem I found on StudentDoctor [http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/....1131874/]. If it's true (and I have my doubts), it's clearly someone who took all the GREs and then sent them to Charter Oak. (It's not the thread OP here because OP is a girl).

How would this even work on an AMCAS application?? I mean from what I've seen here COSC doesn't even equate the GREs to courses on the transcript..
Going to the link I get a 404
Vaeal Wrote:Going to the link I get a 404

forum software messed it up
Quote:Guy who "scammed" way into med school | Student Doctor Network
[URL="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/guy-who-scammed-way-into-med-school.1131874/"]this is the link
[/URL]
Yes, it's possible, but not generalizable. Plus there are some very important missing details as well as underemphasized points.

One thing missing from the linked story is the person's MCAT scores. I know a doctor who crammed all science prerequisites into a short period of time. I think he had a prior bachelor's degree with uncompetitive grades. His MCAT scores were the highest of anyone I ever met. I strongly suspect the person in the linked story had exceptionally high MCAT scores, which tends to be supported by the claims about doing well on GRE subject exams.

The underemphasized point in the story is that the person did take science courses at a community college. As I've previously posted and provided links to medical school websites, testing out of required science courses is generally not allowed by medical schools.

As far as applying to professional school with GRE credits that don't specify grades or courses, it is likely to be treated as a block of pass/fail hours that don't affect the GPA. Here is the official link to obtaining credits from GRE exams at Charter Oak: https://www.charteroak.edu/current/acade...r-list.pdf
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:Yes, it's not possible, but not generalizable. Plus there are some very important missing details as well as underemphasized points.

One thing missing from the linked story is the person's MCAT scores. I know a doctor who crammed all science prerequisites into a short period of time. I think he had a prior bachelor's degree with uncompetitive grades. His MCAT scores were the highest of anyone I ever met. I strongly suspect the person in the linked story had exceptionally high MCAT scores, which tends to be supported by the claims about doing well on GRE subject exams.

The underemphasized point in the story is that the person did take science courses at a community college. As I've previously posted and provided links to medical school websites, testing out of required science courses is generally not allowed by medical schools.

As far as applying to professional school with GRE credits that don't specify grades or courses, it is likely to be treated as a block of pass/fail hours that don't affect the GPA. Charter Oak is no longer as transparent about GRE credits as they used to be.

I am sure there is more to meets the eye, I just thought the story was... shall we say, interesting..

As to this " As far as applying to professional school with GRE credits that don't specify grades or courses, it is likely to be treated as a block of pass/fail hours that don't affect the GPA. Charter Oak is no longer as transparent about GRE credits as they used to be. "

do you mean the previous policy of just listing credits without subject for GREs is not what they do anymore?

Also, depending on the school you can test out of the intro classes via AP, but then they generally want to see similar hours in higher level coursework
My earlier post has been edited. Here is the correction: "Yes, it's possible, but not generalizable."

As far as your GRE question, my initial search attempts did not find the official list of GRE credits found here after doing some additional searching: https://www.charteroak.edu/current/acade...r-list.pdf Hopefully that will provide some clarity on what can be accomplished with GRE subject matter tests.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 2,999 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,402 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,796 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,799 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,998 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,940 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
  Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU regovista 22 4,374 06-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: davewill