Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XAMK Tourism Diploma
Thank you so much.
Sounds good!
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
The next two courses for the diploma just dropped: Intercultural Competence and Tourism Risk Management.

Intercultural Communication is fully self-paced. I have until the end of the course (May 9th) to complete everything. Since it literally just opened, I haven't gotten very far yet. But it says that there are videos and articles for each section. There are forum discussions, and quizzes that can be taken as many times as needed to get at least 75% (15 points). Each section only opens once you finish the previous section's quiz with 15 or more points. It looks like the quizzes don't actually count towards your grade. Section 5 has a writing task that has a due date before May 9th. There are 100 possible points in this course and the minimum passing grade is 51. The final exam is worth a whopping 65 points out of 100.

Tourism risk management is pass/fail. There are 4 topic tests + a final test. It is not completely self-paced because each section needs to be completed by a certain date. Each quiz/test allows two attempts. The exception is the final test where you only get one attempt. This one looks pretty interesting but there is a lot of reading to get through. One of the things you're supposed to read for the first section is https://www.iso.org/standard/65694.html and this doesn't exactly make for light reading. https://www.visitfinland.com/ is more fun and https://www.cbi.eu/market-information/to...ks-tourism seems much more interesting than an ISO standard.

More information forthcoming once I get further along in/complete these courses.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The writing task in section 5 for the Intercultural Communication task doesn't look too difficult (only 1000 words):

Quote:Interview another course participant on his/her experiences on cultural adjustment/culture shock.

Two of the criterium do require reference to theories covered in the course though, so it's not going to be a matter of totally winging it at the last minute:

Quote:- Identification of variables that seem to help ease the adjustment process
- Describe the transition he/she experienced while comparing their experience to one or more of the models presented in the theory part (the stages of culture shock, Bennett´s DMIS, U-curve, W-curve etc.)

The essay is only worth 20 points, but since you can't access the final exam without first submitting the essay, the essay is a compulsory element of the course (though you could submit a blank document, I guess).
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • rachel83az
By the way, Cross-Cultural Management is not the greatest course ever. Each topic consists of a 1 or 2 hour video, a PowerPoint slide, and a quiz. You get 5 attempts to answer the quiz correctly. The audio for the videos isn't unfortunately pretty bad. The lecturer doesn't have a good microphone and there is a lot of static-y noise. Lots of crackling, popping and hissing even when he is not speaking.

Marketing Management is much the same. The videos for both are still watchable, but not fun.

Both courses also expect a video presentation that is worth 30 points out of 100. You can technically pass both with a grade of 3 but you'll only get the best grade of 5 if you submit a video.

While neither of these courses are required for the Tourism Diploma, they are tangentially related so I feel like it's a good idea to at least try to finish them.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Update: I have learned that if you install Adobe Connect and watch the Marketing Management and Cross-Cultural Management lectures through that, all of the hissing, popping, and crackling is gone. There is apparently some weirdness in the web player that creates this issue. Compression issues, perhaps? I didn't want to install yet another app on my computer but this is totally worthwhile!
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
I finally went to go look up what Finnish grades actually mean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_g..._education

Marketing Management and Cross-Cultural Management both allow you to get 70 points out of 100 without doing a presentation on YT. This equates to a 3. A 3 is a B-. I can totally flub the video and still get a B! That's not bad.

This makes me feel a lot better about my potential grades at XAMK.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • Pikachu
So, I am 90% done with my Risk Management and Intercultural Competence classes. The essay/writing assignment for Intercultural Competence isn't that bad. But we are also supposed to make a sort of idea board using Padlet.com and I don't like that. Depending on how the essay gets graded, I could still wind up with 80+ points (a grade of 4). I'm at least guaranteed a 2 because I got more than 60 points on the final exam. I should probably make at least a halfhearted attempt with the Padlet assignment so I can get a 3.

I would be completely done with Risk Management except the final exam doesn't unlock until May 1st.

On the 1st week of May, I'll have a bunch of XAMK courses starting. These are unrelated to the Tourism Diploma but are business-related.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
If you wanted to join the Tourism Diploma but were unable to do so, they have the next group of 20 ECTS available here: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ects-cr-2/
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • Pikachu
Hi,
Can anyone post an image of the XAMK Diploma ? Im a bit curious about how the diploma looks.
Sorry, it's still ongoing so there is no image to post just yet.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 678 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  XAMK ROYISAGIRL 126 19,581 01-04-2024, 01:05 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 477 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 601 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,544 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  XAMK- video game creation help Personherebb9 2 673 08-08-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: flosfillin
  Finnish Universities (XAMK etc.) (incl. CS/IT courses!) sarahmac 32 7,618 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: wow
  Getting HAKA access with Xamk? freddiebear 12 2,159 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Diploma Appearances ThatBankDude 5 1,270 05-24-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Fake nursing diploma Imbanewbie 10 1,155 02-01-2023, 09:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore