Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
anyone get a scholarship?
So the son I wrote this about hasn't rec'd any scholarships and has applied for only a few, about 8. My other son applied for about 5 and got 3 of them! Not huge money, but every bit helps ($1000, $750, $1000). My #3 son is doing them now. He's in hs and will attend our CC for an AAS. We have the tuition covered, so we're shooting for overage.

EDIT- my husband corrected me, his last one was TWO thousand, not one thousand! $1000, $750, $2000
Jennifer, that is really impressive about the second son getting so many! I was researching and figured I would need to apply for about 50 to get what I needed. I made it to 25 before I ran out of energy. Some of these essays though I did not realize how serious people get. There's high schoolers out there writing full on APA/MLA style essays! Really for the time, effort, and competition the essay scholarships take, it probably makes more sense to just get a temporary job if a person can land one. Also, some of these places use scholarships essays to just populate their own blogs. I won 3rd place on one and they sent me a $50 Amazon gift card. I literally would have rather had cash to pay to the school with.

My biggest scholarships came from a very specialized group, and in all still amounted to less than $1k. I also applied for it three or four times though. Didn't get anything the first time. The second or third time I got just enough to apply to the school. Last time I got a decent amount to cover exams and books.

Other than that the majority of my funding came from the Dept of Vocational Rehabilitation. That was really the largest sum.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(03-04-2019, 06:56 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: Jennifer, that is really impressive about the second son getting so many! I was researching and figured I would need to apply for about 50 to get what I needed. I made it to 25 before I ran out of energy. Some of these essays though I did not realize how serious people get. There's high schoolers out there writing full on APA/MLA style essays! Really for the time, effort, and competition the essay scholarships take, it probably makes more sense to just get a temporary job if a person can land one. Also, some of these places use scholarships essays to just populate their own blogs. I won 3rd place on one and they sent me a $50 Amazon gift card. I literally would have rather had cash to pay to the school with.

My biggest scholarships came from a very specialized group, and in all still amounted to less than $1k. I also applied for it three or four times though. Didn't get anything the first time. The second or third time I got just enough to apply to the school. Last time I got a decent amount to cover exams and books.

Other than that the majority of my funding came from the Dept of Vocational Rehabilitation. That was really the largest sum.

I think it's hit or miss. I tried to filter them for him b/c I already knew that we'd be spammed to death. A friend told me to create a separate email just for scholarships but before I could relay that tip my boys had already applied. They are all using their edu email though, so eventually, those accounts will close.

My son I mentioned is applying through trade organizations - it's funny because I thought his would be the toughest but has turned out not to be the case. My high school son's CC has one portal that you can fill out a really (really) long application and upload letters of rec, etc. From there it's simply ticking boxes for the ones that you want to throw your name into the hat for. (ummm...all of them duh)
One thing I learned from a webinar was to continue applying through college, not just upon admissions, so that's our goal. I'm hoping for overage. I am pretty sure my son at COSC won't get anything, we would have heard by now- but he did get 10% off his tuition through Straighterline's scholarship, so that's something.

Also, I just wanted to say "hello" it's been a long time since we've chatted!! So nice to visit again.
I've been thinking that this is one of the downfalls of attending Universities like TESU. Depending on your income level and GPA you could qualify for grants and scholarships at your local colleges.
In my case the GI BIll has been paying for college but I also qualified for a Grant. Also I was checking prices of attending different schools and came to the conclusion that Cal State Fullerton, the school that I've been eyeing is actually pretty cheap for me.
If I didn't have the GI Bill, Community college would still have been free in my case. I think TESU is still great for working adults like me.
However for younger people a Community College education with a transfer to local university might be a better option depending on income levels and grades. I actually think that community colleges are a bargain in California due to the grants that one could qualify for.
Ideally one could learn a trade or some skills like IT in a community college while also getting a transferable Associate's. Then one could transfer out and have something to fall back on if things fail at the university level.
Another thing, once you have a bachelor's degree, then you no longer qualify for many of these grants and financial aid instruments. One needs to make that bachelor count and rethink that History or Liberal Arts degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rustydroid's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(03-04-2019, 10:49 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Also, I just wanted to say "hello" it's been a long time since we've chatted!!  So nice to visit again.

I know, it has been! I'll PM you so we can catch up. :-)
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • cookderosa
(03-04-2019, 06:40 PM)cookderosa Wrote: So the son I wrote this about hasn't rec'd any scholarships and has applied for only a few, about 8.  My other son applied for about 5 and got 3 of them!  Not huge money, but every bit helps ($1000, $750, $1000).  My #3 son is doing them now. He's in hs and will attend our CC for an AAS.  We have the tuition covered, so we're shooting for overage.

EDIT- my husband corrected me, his last one was TWO thousand, not one thousand!  $1000, $750, $2000

That's INCREDIBLE!! I don't even know yall and I'm proud of ya both.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • hsfamfun
(03-06-2019, 07:49 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 06:40 PM)cookderosa Wrote: So the son I wrote this about hasn't rec'd any scholarships and has applied for only a few, about 8.  My other son applied for about 5 and got 3 of them!  Not huge money, but every bit helps ($1000, $750, $1000).  My #3 son is doing them now. He's in hs and will attend our CC for an AAS.  We have the tuition covered, so we're shooting for overage.

EDIT- my husband corrected me, his last one was TWO thousand, not one thousand!  $1000, $750, $2000

That's INCREDIBLE!! I don't even know yall and I'm proud of ya both.

What I learned, is that even if you're enrolled, you can still apply. I know someone who got a scholarship her last semester. The thing is, that like grants, if you have excess $ you can get it refunded to you. That's part of my plan, we have X dollars we need to get into an account for my #1 son by Jan 2020 to make sure he's paid through, but anything above that will be his and used for his student loan repayment. Since his tuition is already paid in full, these checks coming back are going into the fund that is paying his rent, so once that's full, he can start attacking his loan. Anyway, my point is to keep applying - don't just apply until you start, but keep applying all the way through till you graduate!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU full Scholarship Freshmen this fall Clepper43 8 2,171 12-18-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Clepper43
  APUS / AMU Momentum 2020: A 50% Scholarship for Visiting Students warriortaupou 2 1,020 09-26-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: nomaduser