Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
better to just take classes if full-timer?
One tip I have is to join some of the WGU FB groups. There's a bunch of them. I joined a few when I was considering transferring to WGU. I didn't like the whole proctored exam thing. That's an issue for some people. I found a school that doesn't have proctors but instead we write papers and projects which I am ok with. I don't have a designated study area and will be working on that over my winter break. Everyone in my house has been home for months so proctored exams would be really challenging for me since I live in a small house and most rooms are open to each other....no way to close them off either. Can't even go to a library here because they've been closed since mid-March. I tried going to a local college, but I'm not a registered student so I couldn't be on campus. sad face.
I agree with others that taking some online courses via alternative course providers is a good way to dip your toes in before committing big money. I would never suggest someone with zero credits go to WGU - it's just too big of a gamble with too much money.

I personally found that I'm not great at doing a bunch of courses like WGU would require. I kind of ebbed and flowed with my life (2 kids, husband who traveled), and did things in spurts. I'd do a course or two with a provider, then take a break, then do another, then a break, etc. I found that I didn't do well with the monthly membership courses, so figured out that way the WGU wouldn't work for me personally.

Others won't mind their system, may even thrive with the deadlines, so that's also good to find out cheaply.

I've also thought that IF I was to do WGU, I would do everything possible through Sophia/Study.com, and that would include studying for the courses I'd be taking through WGU so that I could get through them quickly. Like, if I had to do a course on underwater basket weaving for my degree, I'd go find some free ways to study that before committing to WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • reylok
(12-06-2020, 08:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree with others that taking some online courses via alternative course providers is a good way to dip your toes in before committing big money.  I would never suggest someone with zero credits go to WGU - it's just too big of a gamble with too much money.

I agree and WGU does as well. Before approving admission, they will make new applicants take courses from WGU Academy if they don't have experience with online or self-paced college courses. They don't want to enroll students who may not be prepared for what it takes to self-study and be successful at WGU. Previously they required people to take and pass at least one course from Straighterline or Study.com before approving applications.

(12-06-2020, 08:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I personally found that I'm not great at doing a bunch of courses like WGU would require.  I kind of ebbed and flowed with my life (2 kids, husband who traveled), and did things in spurts.  I'd do a course or two with a provider, then take a break, then do another, then a break, etc.  I found that I didn't do well with the monthly membership courses, so figured out that way the WGU wouldn't work for me personally.

Others won't mind their system, may even thrive with the deadlines, so that's also good to find out cheaply.

I fall into the latter category for sure. When I was doing my BSBA I went a lot slower and took more breaks. But a lot of that was because I was also figuring out what I wanted to do and changed directions a few times. Of course, had I know then what I know now, I would have enrolled at WGU instead of TESU and pushed myself to finish my degree quicker.

When I was doing my MBA @ WGU, I gave myself extremely tight deadlines to complete my courses since those deadlines help keep me motivated and moving forward. Of course, I took breaks when needed for mental health or family concerns, but beyond that I spent 90% of my free time studying for school. Mostly after the rest of my family went to sleep. I really didn't slow down until the capstone, and that was in large part motivated by the fact that people on my team were taking it slower. In fact, one of them went on a family vacation in the midst of our simulation. Which didn't go over well with everyone else.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • reylok

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer? tazz 17 3,009 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: tazz
  ASU UL classes transfer to WGU sprout18 10 1,658 09-02-2022, 02:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU BS Business Administration Management - Transferrable Classes NOT on Study mohelena02 12 2,360 01-28-2022, 07:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU BSSD programming classes like? reylok 3 1,268 12-09-2020, 01:34 AM
Last Post: MNomadic