Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer?
Hi!

I recently stumbled upon the Degree Forum Wiki and have been going through it. I had decided on WGU for a CS degree based off recommendations from a lot of colleagues and the wiki helped me confirm my choice. The one question I have is that  I did three or so semesters of college before dropping out 4-5 years ago and was wondering would I be able to claim credit from those classes and apply them towards WGU? If so, is it possible to contact WGU to figure that out without locking myself into an application?

The reason I ask this is because a colleague had warned me that I would not be able to transfer credits after my application has been submitted and accepted. I may have misinterpreted them but wanted to reach out here to hear from others experience. What I'd like to do with the information that WGU provides me is then use it to figure out which classes from Sophia or Study.com I can avoid doing.

Thanks for the help in advance!  Smile
1) application is free
2) you're never "locked in" to an application
3) your colleague is wrong or you heard them wrong. You can keep sending more transcripts and classes until 30ish days before your start date. You're "finalized" 15 days before your official start date so any transfer courses need to be in and evaluated before that
4) best of luck! You're welcome to ask any questions here and we will try to help you out.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • tazz
You’ll likely want to check out the official transfer agreement of WGU at https://partners.wgu.edu/ to see what classes transfer from each provider.

Also, only classes completed within 5 years of your WGU start date will count for transfer into WGU. You can read the specifics of the transfer guidelines for the CS degree at https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSCS.aspx

And, you can transfer credits in up to your enrollment date, I believe. You should verify with your enrollment counselor though confirm specifics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BitWiseGuy's post:
  • tazz
Thanks so much for the quick responses, much appreciated it! I'm relieved to hear all that and will work on getting my Sophia/Study.com/Starterline classes done ASAP so I can get my Bachelor's in CS done!
(03-08-2023, 12:24 AM)BitWiseGuy Wrote: You’ll likely want to check out the official transfer agreement of WGU at https://partners.wgu.edu/ to see what classes transfer from each provider.

Also, only classes completed within 5 years of your WGU start date will count for transfer into WGU. You can read the specifics of the transfer guidelines for the CS degree at https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSCS.aspx

And, you can transfer credits in up to your enrollment date, I believe. You should verify with your enrollment counselor though confirm specifics.

Just to clarify, only technology specific courses(CS, programming, etc.) and calculus need to be within 5 years. Most other general education courses have no time limit for that degree.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thanks for the clarification, if it’s okay to run this plan by y’all for look overs:

- Contact WGU/Advisor
- Look into what courses I can transfer from my time at college by gathering transcripts (within last 5 years)
- Once I get final list of courses that are eligible I then do classes on WGU partners(Sophia, Study, etc.) that fulfill credits I don’t have
- After I get all the credits possible from the partners/following the wiki I then open an application to have everything transferred and then begin my BA CS @ WGU ?
You can transfer into WGU right up until you are enrolled (which is not the same as being an applicant). WGU does not auto enroll, and delaying enrollment is a pretty straight forward processed with WGU. After your initial transfer evaluation is done you'll know what you're missing.  They offer a listing online of courses for each program that can be transferred in (not all can), you can then figure our how to get the max in before enrolling to complete your degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • tazz
WGU doesn't just enroll you in a degree; you must choose to enroll, and choose a start date.

They also allow transfers of GE much longer than 5 years old.

So just apply, send in your transcripts, see what everything comes in as, go to the website to see what you can take at SDC, Sophia and SL prior to enrollment, make a degree plan to get all of those courses done, transfer in your credits from your alt-credit providers, and THEN make arrangements to pick a start date.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle, tazz
tazz Wrote:Thanks for the clarification, if it’s okay to run this plan by y’all for look overs:

- Contact WGU/Advisor
- Look into what courses I can transfer from my time at college by gathering transcripts (within last 5 years)
- Once I get final list of courses that are eligible I then do classes on WGU partners(Sophia, Study, etc.) that fulfill credits I don’t have
- After I get all the credits possible from the partners/following the wiki I then open an application to have everything transferred and then begin my BA CS @ WGU ?

@tazz, did you create a spreadsheet for reference and tracking purposes of your WGU BSCS degree? I would get a spreadsheet going so you know exactly which courses you will take from the alternative providers and what you'll take at WGU. How did you come to the conclusion of WGU for the BSCS? Was it due to a budget, commitment, or some competency model that you're interested in?

Anyways, I would recommend pretty much exactly what was in previous comments, in addition to that, the spreadsheet is what you want to use to review/track your progress and know what courses are coming from which provider. I suggest exactly that, the Sophia and Study.com combo, if anything not available from those, then take at StraighterLine or any other 'partner' on their website.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • tazz
Apologies for the delay in my response, but thank you so much for all your helpful comments and replies! I'm feeling confident to begin my journey to get my degree again, cheers Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 330 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,250 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 669 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 747 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,050 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,635 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UoPeople to WGU Transfer EDUxplorer 9 2,345 01-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ASU UL classes transfer to WGU sprout18 10 1,647 09-02-2022, 02:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,124 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
  WGU BS Business Administration Management - Transferrable Classes NOT on Study mohelena02 12 2,347 01-28-2022, 07:18 PM