Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UoPeople to WGU Transfer
Speaking with someone today, and a question came up.

Does WGU take University of the People credits?

Looking to transfer in Computer Science credits and finish off degree at WGU in Comp Sci for RA.

Thanks!
That's a good question and while I've seen it come up before, I don't remember if there was a definitive answer or not. Is there any reason you'd want to transfer credits from UoPeople vs alt. Credit providers like SDC & Sophia that would be quicker, cheaper and potentially less frustrating?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
WGU generally accepts NA credits. It'd depend on how those UoPeople courses for into the WGU program.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • origamishuttle
Considering the cost of UOP, it's hard to make sense of getting a bachelor's there with a cost-value option like UMPI. However, if you have already completed a degree from UOP, it would be great to transfer to a Master's at WGU without any issue. I have not read of anyone doing that, so I look forward to reading about it.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
(01-08-2023, 05:01 PM)KSoul Wrote: Considering the cost of UOP, it's hard to make sense of getting a bachelor's there with a cost-value option like UMPI. However, if you have already completed a degree from UOP, it would be great to transfer to a Master's at WGU without any issue. I have not read of anyone doing that, so I look forward to reading about it.

UMPI doesn't have a degree in Comp Sci which is what the OP was looking for. The closest thing is project management or MIS and neither are really comp sci.
The OP's friend is looking to transfer NA CS credits from UOP into RA WGU to complete a degree.

Considering the cost of UOP, the UMPI Project Management or MIS degree coupled with CS Coursera certifications is considerably more valuable and cheaper than the long route of UOP + WGU (unconfirmed will even work). I get what I think is your point of staying rigid to the name of the degree. Without a degree and experience, it's more valuable than a UOP+WGU combo, so why not get a fast RA degree close*ish to the field: fill in the gap with free Coursera certs (accessible over the next six months) and call it a day?

Too many people think a degree with the correct title is going to get them a job, and this is why there are countless degree earners looking for jobs.
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
RANSOMSOUL
While I agree there are cheaper/faster ways to do this without involving UoPeople, if they need a CS degree, then finishing an entirely unrelated degree at UMPI and supplementing with some MOOC certs is not a good approach.

If they don't already have UoPeople credits, I'd advise to skip them entirely and go with other known alternatives. If they do already have UoPeople credits and do not want to continue at UoPeople, then some of those credits will be salvageable at WGU since WGU takes NA credits, but we don't know much without knowing what credits they have.

If they don't need a CS degree specifically and would be happy with the types of degrees UMPI offers, then certainly UMPI is one of the best options we know of around here. Though as far as I know, they will not accept NA credit so if they already have UoPeople credit, they might be losing some.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • ss20ts
Appreciate your take, especially with your academic background. My position is due to the countless developers and programmers I have worked with or the independent contractors my mother has hired without a CS degree. My blinder is not considering those looking for entry into the space or even just an intern opportunity, in which a CS degree may be the only box checked that can get you in the door.
RANSOMSOUL
(01-08-2023, 10:50 PM)KSoul Wrote: Appreciate your take, especially with your academic background. My position is due to the countless developers and programmers I have worked with or the independent contractors my mother has hired without a CS degree. My blinder is not considering those looking for entry into the space or even just an intern opportunity, in which a CS degree may be the only box checked that can get you in the door.

While this has been who your mother has hired, this is not the case with many companies. Some companies are very strict on their degree requirements for some reason. The whole comp sci IT world is kind of strange because so many learn on their own and don't have that piece of paper many employers demand.
You know, considering that you can apply at WGU for free, why wouldn't you just apply to WGU to see if the courses come in as expected? That seems far simpler than asking on here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 133 Today, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,077 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 609 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 686 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer? tazz 17 2,853 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: tazz
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 945 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,592 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ASU UL classes transfer to WGU sprout18 10 1,612 09-02-2022, 02:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,085 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Information List of Courses That Transfer from Sophia.org to WGU BitWiseGuy 20 19,974 11-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle