Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
funding sources for Law School without six figures of loan debt
Hello,

My older son is looking to get his Bachelor's in Finance or Business Administration and then possibly go to Law School within 1-2 years. He wants to get his Bachelor's without waiting the traditional amount of time of 4 or even 5 years since he dropped some courses. He was ver demotivated because of graduating in 2020, COVID, personal tragedy of losing mom.

We are looking at the TESU Bachelor's degree in Finance. 

For Law School, while he would be looking at the traditional full time route potentially, I am wondering if anyone on the forum can recommend scholarship or funding sources that would help not to get over six figures of student loan debt for Law School? He would be responsible for it, but, I want to steer him in the right direction.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
Scoring extremely well on the LSAT compared to the school's high LSAT score combined with making sure whatever scholarships or grants he receives are not tied to grade outcomes for his law courses. Some of the best law schools also offer the best deals when it comes to financial aid. LSAT Demon has a tool that will let you see which law schools would offer full ride scholarships based on UGPA and LSAT. This could be combined with a debt to income ratio spreadsheet to figure out which might be the best options for schools.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 2 users Like SweetSecret's post:
  • jch, pez
If your son is interested in getting a PhD as well, there are many schools that will fund students’ JDs when pursued concurrently as part of a JD/PhD program. There are many others, but this gives you a sense:

https://www.profellow.com/fellowships/fu...ms-in-law/

I wouldn’t do a JD/PhD simply get a “free” JD, not least because it might mean extending schooling by 2-4 years and giving up those years of earnings.

When my wife was in law school, there were JAG recruiters who came around periodically. A woman she was in law school with did navy JAG. She earned her commission while she was in law school, so presumably had a military paycheck. Not sure if they military paid for her law school, though.

Don’t assume that higher ranked=less financial aid and lower ranked=More financial aid. My wife did all her law school at a T30 institution. She has friends who transferred after 1L year from lower ranked schools who paid a good bit less for their 2L and 3L years since the T30 school had much better resources, more money for scholarships.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • Pikachu
As you may already know, Law school is going to be very expensive, you can check the schools that you want to apply to and see if they have subsidies in the form of a bursary, grant, loan, scholarship, or payment plan option, whatever you can get your hands on and see if your son is eligible for them. However, before you even begin this journey, you need to know about graded credits. Decide what you need to do, have an action plan...

Having a TESU 4.0 internal gpa will NOT make the cut... You need to supplement those grades as most law schools look at information and grades based on the last 60 credits, some are the last 30 credits. Going the TESU route you're wanting may work, but you can speak with the son in regards to "changing" that to a BABA at UMPI, and take the last 30-60 credits there or graduate with a double degree (30 each degree) at the same time...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Law schools look at every credit you've ever attempted and give you a total gpa. They even factor in courses that you've retaken for a better grade and will compute both attempts. Moreover, an A+ helps you gain some ground back as it is worth more than an A
Score high on the LSAT exam as many law schools use that. Apply to schools that will accept your score, even at a bottom-tier law school, you can get a full-ride scholarship.
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
(06-04-2022, 03:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: As you may already know, Law school is going to be very expensive, you can check the schools that you want to apply to and see if they have subsidies in the form of a bursary, grant, loan, scholarship, or payment plan option, whatever you can get your hands on and see if your son is eligible for them.  However, before you even begin this journey, you need to know about graded credits.  Decide what you need to do, have an action plan...

Having a TESU 4.0 internal gpa will NOT make the cut... You need to supplement those grades as most law schools look at information and grades based on the last 60 credits, some are the last 30 credits.  Going the TESU route you're wanting may work, but you can speak with the son in regards to "changing" that to a BABA at UMPI, and take the last 30-60 credits there or graduate with a double degree (30 each degree) at the same time...
Maybe the person I know is an exception to this rule?  I was inspired into my alt credit journey by someone who only had 2 graded courses (TESU) total (not 4.0) and was accepted at a (ABA) law school afterwards with a really good scholarship, they had an above average but not amazing LSAT score.  The one difference might have been this person had A LOT of volunteer experience which the law school was very impressed with AND they had multicultural/global life experiences which attracted positive attention.
I know! Get a job at the university you want to study and get the tuition benefit. Smile
That would be my plan.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Look into smaller colleges that your local district attorney supports. Many district attorney offices want more lawyers for prosecution and defense. They often will guest lecture and work with local small schools. California has a chain ran by Monterey Law School that makes relationships with local courts before they establish. For example in my city, they established a school called Kern County College of Law. The local DA's office supports it. Their last graduating class had a 100% graduation rate on the bar. Our DA's office allows them to intern, and more during their law school experience. The DA and other standing law firms here are super involved. And get this... Most is online!

Law accreditation is a bit different. The important part for it, is, if your state allows them to sit for their bar. Their accreditation is Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California. this is good enough to take the Bar in California. They're currently in review by Western Association of Schools and Colleges for accreditation.

Their fees are $7500 per academic year. They offer further discounts like $1000 if you work for the county, bringing tuition down to 6500 an academic year. Another $500 off if you can have a current lawyer write a letter of recommendation for you bringing it down to $6000.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PhD for as little as $1290,66 p/a at a top 150 school. Personherebb9 44 6,885 01-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Tireman4
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 566 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  PhD - Swiss School of Business Research? michaeladsmith2 15 2,452 10-23-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Has anyone tried esneca business school? aquickquestion 8 1,826 10-06-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  ESC Clermont Business School DBA durain 9 1,709 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: durain
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,338 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Montpellier Business School Online DBA, AACSB durain 14 3,497 06-14-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: durain
  My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD bjcheung77 130 39,925 09-14-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  I got denied from U of Cumberlands. Do you have a new school for PHD. recommend? Sulkiahha 5 3,068 06-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: jsd