Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
graduate ACE credits
So I was on the TESU website taking a look at the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies program and noticed that TESU mentions transferring in credits for American Council on Education courses that have been evaluated at the graduate level

Does anyone have experience with courses or exams that have been approved by ACE for graduate credit? I've never seen or heard of that before.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:So I was on the TESU website taking a look at the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies program and noticed that TESU mentions transferring in credits for American Council on Education courses that have been evaluated at the graduate level

Does anyone have experience with courses or exams that have been approved by ACE for graduate credit? I've never seen or heard of that before.

~following
I can't remember who brought it up, but the CPP from ASIS is evaluated at the graduate level. I doubt that the credits will be counted as liberal arts, though.

ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training

There are also some graduate level credits from the Center for Development of Security Excellence, but I don't think non-DoD employees can take these courses. The same probably applies to the U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center which also offers courses evaluated at the graduate level by ACE.

Six Sigma Black Belt training from the Institute of Industrial Engineers is graduate level.

Some of the Graduate School courses are evaluated at the graduate level.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
CDSE has some, although I believe (not 100% sure) you need to be military/DOD.

DSS / CDSE / Education Certificates
ladylearner Wrote:Does anyone have experience with courses or exams that have been approved by ACE for graduate credit? I've never seen or heard of that before.

Statistics.com has several of their courses recommended by ACE for graduate school credit. Bio-stats and Categorical Analysis are two that I have noticed.
johnjaxs Wrote:CDSE has some, although I believe (not 100% sure) you need to be military/DOD.

DSS / CDSE / Education Certificates

Yeah, you have to be military and/or a federal civilian employee for these (not sure if it's restricted to DoD or if it's fed wide). Their stuff is all full blown graduate courses - 16 week online courses with discussion board posts, tests, and research papers. So if you qualify it's nice to have a source of free credits, but they're not easy, fast, or self-paced (DSS also has a number of in-person courses that are ACE evaluated). I also inquired with a handful of graduate programs that claim to be open to transfer credit (Excelsior, TESU, AMU) and the responses I got were pretty uninspiring - mostly elective credit, if anything. I may end up taking one or two of their classes because they count as continuing education for my security certification, but as far as using them as a leg up on grad school I've pretty much completely disgarded the idea at this point as a waste of time. As it is, I withdrew from the one I had signed up for because it was just too time consuming for me to manage at the time.

For the most part graduate studies are too specific and focused for transfer credit to be terribly useful I think. CDSE's stuff probably lends itself best to a Masters in Security Management (AMU offers this). It doesn't even really work for a general business degree because it's all too federal government focused.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
Leherself Wrote:Yeah, you have to be military and/or a federal civilian employee for these (not sure if it's restricted to DoD or if it's fed wide). Their stuff is all full blown graduate courses - 12 week online courses with discussion board posts, tests, and research papers. So if you qualify it's nice to have a source of free credits, but they're not easy, fast, or self-paced (DSS also has a number of in-person courses that are ACE evaluated). I also inquired with a handful of graduate programs that claim to be open to transfer credit (Excelsior, TESU, AMU) and the responses I got were pretty uninspiring - mostly elective credit, if anything. I may end up taking one or two of their classes because they count as continuing education for my security certification, but as far as using them as a leg up on grad school I've pretty much completely disgarded the idea at this point as a waste of time. As it is, I withdrew from the one I had signed up for because it was just too time consuming for me to manage at the time.

For the most part graduate studies are too specific and focused for transfer credit to be terribly useful I think. CDSE's stuff probably lends itself best to a Masters in Security Management (AMU offers this). It doesn't even really work for a general business degree because it's all too federal government focused.

Since I saw the mention of ACE graduate credits being transferable on TESU's MALS page, I thought maybe there were some liberal arts ACE graduate credits somewhere out there.

As far as transferring graduate credits in general, I read somewhere on the forum that Amberton University is pretty flexible in that regard. I noticed Rutgers' MALS degree program also allows a lot of transfer credits. So maybe it is an affordable way to get a master's degree for someone who needs it for work. I could see it as a way to complete a graduate degree with the required 18 graduate credits in a subject area. Certainly something to think about. Most traditional graduate programs that I have seen allow no more than 6 transfer credits.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:Since I saw the mention of ACE graduate credits being transferable on TESU's MALS page, I thought maybe there were some liberal arts ACE graduate credits somewhere out there.

As far as transferring graduate credits in general, I read somewhere on the forum that Amberton University is pretty flexible in that regard. I noticed Rutgers' MALS degree program also allows a lot of transfer credits. So maybe it is an affordable way to get a master's degree for someone who needs it for work. I could see it as a way to complete a graduate degree with the required 18 graduate credits in a subject area. Certainly something to think about. Most traditional graduate programs that I have seen allow no more than 6 transfer credits.

these aren't liberal arts either- but Learner.org's classes have 2 and 3 credit self paced classes very cheap.
Three of the Learner.org courses are coded as natural sciences.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Interested. ..following
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,833 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,893 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,038 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,035 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,681 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,788 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Strategies to aquire 18 credits and teach jb111 5 408 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,784 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 680 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,655 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77