Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with degree plan for my 17 yo
My 17 yo daughter is just beginning her college career.  I created a degree plan for a BS in General Studies or Individualized Studies (I'm unsure how COSC would view it) in Ethics.  Would you help me refine this, please?

A little personal history:
She has a learning disability and struggles with processing and sequencing when it comes to writing compositions and math. I intentionally did not choose UL Writing and perhaps other UL classes due to her struggles.

I hope all these classes can be obtained through Sophia and SDC, though we may opt for our local community college for the 2 English Composition classes.

I attached an Excel spreadsheet if you want to edit it.

Thank you!

GENERAL EDUs (40 credits)
English Composition I
English Composition II
Oral Communications (would love to find something other than Public Speaking but not sure it exits)
Information Literacy (Cornerstone; 1-3 credits)
Ethics & the CPCU - The Institutes (?UL?)
US History I
Western Civilizations I
World Religion - SDC or Sophia
Art History I
Intro to Sociology
College Algebra - Aleks or Sophia
Biology
Biology Lab
Environmental Science

LIBERAL ARTS (60 credits required, 36 credits listed)
Art History II
Intro to Music
Visual Communication    
Ancient Greek Philosophers
US History II
American Government
Intro  Psychology
Human Growth & Development
Abnormal Psychology
Human & Cultural Geography
General (or Cultural) Anthropology
Project Management (?UL?) - Sophia

[Plan to Enroll in COSC around this point]

MAJOR (45 credits)
?? Can the first 8 Ethics classes listed below count toward 24 additional credits needed to equal 60 liberal arts credits?

Intro to Philosophy
Ethics in America
Ethics - Theory & Practice
Ethics in the Social Sciences
Management Ethics (UL)
Advanced Business Ethics (UL)
Ethical & Legal Issues in Healthcare (UL)
Business Ethics & Individual Values (UL)
--
Negotiations & Conflict Management (UL)
Organizational Theory (UL)
Organizational Behavior (UL)
Organizational Communication (UL)
Global Marketing (UL)
Globalization & International Management (UL)
Capstone (UL)
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
FYI, Charter Oak isn't accepting more than 90 credits from ACE sources after July 1st. It looks like you're planning on transferring in more than that from Sophia & SDC. If you want most of her credits to come from ACE sources, a BALS (liberal studies) degree at TESU would be a better option.
(06-17-2020, 01:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote: FYI, Charter Oak isn't accepting more than 90 credits from ACE sources after July 1st. It looks like you're planning on transferring in more than that from Sophia & SDC. If you want most of her credits to come from ACE sources, a BALS (liberal studies) degree at TESU would be a better option.

Thank you Rachel.  I'll check TESU again as I was not aware of COSC's new plan.  What options are available for 30 credits that cannot be ACE-credits?
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
6 of them (cornerstone and capstone) have to be taken at COSC. The remaining 24 can be from regionally accredited sources, such as community colleges and/or universities. You can find a list of inexpensive credit sources on the wiki https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
https://www.nmjc.edu/

that’s your best bet for cheap online ra credit.
(06-17-2020, 02:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: 6 of them (cornerstone and capstone) have to be taken at COSC. The remaining 24 can be from regionally accredited sources, such as community colleges and/or universities. You can find a list of inexpensive credit sources on the wiki https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

Thank you for the info and link that actually has info on the webpage.  I read the forum before posting my original question, however, I kept finding posts with dead links.
Robin
Member since 2008

What does she plan on doing for a job with a degree focused on ethics? Will a college take this many courses in ethics? I ask because some schools are really picky.
(06-17-2020, 02:55 PM)anewmanx Wrote: https://www.nmjc.edu/

that’s your best bet for cheap online ra credit.

Thank you!  Have you taken online classes at NMJC?  Which proctoring service do they use?
Robin
Member since 2008

The $99 ea.asu.edu courses are hard to beat for RA credit right now. You only pay at the end if you like the grade and want it on a transcript too. No risk, no record of failure. Retake as many times as she needs. Normal cost is $25 ID fee, $400 at the end. that’s a great price for RA credit, unless she has free or discounted dual credit options locally. some are self paced with up to a year to complete- English 1 (though may not continue to be so I’d do that ASAP) and maths, so she can take her time on them. Especially if you don’t mind paying the $400-425/course. Once she’s taken English 101 and college Algebra, those should replace any placement test reqs at most colleges (check with your local options), if she needs to do any local courses.

No placement tests or transcripts needed at ASU to start. Just photo ID. Eng 102 (Comp 2) has a July start date or August for the $99 rate, if that matters. They only have suggested prerequisite courses, but don’t restrict you from taking things based on that (some have done Eng 102, then 101). There’s a host of options starting 8/18. Astronomy is a nice science with lab credit. 3 in my family are taking it now. Fun class. The math isn’t too tough and the discussion forums for the course usually give great help and tell you how to do the more challenging problems (~20 math problems/week, algebra and basic geometry so far. I hear the final only has ~ 3 math questions ). An A or B in that course is doable if you do all of the open book stuff and self assessed stuff to 100% or close to it — even if you bomb the final, it’s only 25% of the grade. If she does Eng 1-2, College Algebra, (no matter how long self paced takes), plus Astronomy 8/18 (4cr) =13cr so far. I hear the following courses are good and not math or writing heavy (though I think some may have a paper): human origins (anthropology), western civilizations, Health and Wellness. Sociology does have some adult sexuality topics that concern some parents. Maybe good to do while she’s home with you, if you’re concerned. she could take all or nearly all of what she needs via ASU, and a good chunk of it at $99/course if she did summer school. And all of it at no risk to her GPA, which to me is worth a lot. It might be tough to do more than Astronomy, and 1 other at a time in the fall, with a learning disability. Then again, she could try more, just prioritize the ones that matter, and be willing to drop any excess.(avoid chem for her, it’s the most challenging from what I’ve heard).

Please check that all of that works and transfers as it seems it would, as I’m NOT the COSC guru, but I am in the thick of discussions lately from a homeschool perspective, for ASU and dual credit in my state. Smile

I also like that these credits should transfer anywhere, should she change her mind on career or degree paths, as teens often do. Recently I’ve realized that Sophia and SL are also accepted at a wider range of brick and mortars than I once thought. I’ve been doing a bit of research in my state. Colleges tend not to say so, you have to ask. Not saying don’t do COSC, just saying this combo has options. I like to keep all those doors open as long as possible for my teens. They can be unpredictable sometimes. Wink

If you’re a homeschool family, you might also consider joining one of the Homeschooling for College Credit Facebook groups for your state. They may also have some dual credit options. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-17-2020, 10:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What does she plan on doing for a job with a degree focused on ethics? Will a college take this many courses in ethics? I ask because some schools are really picky.

She's undecided on a career but since she's young (17 yo) and ready to get her 4-year degree asap, almost any 4-year degree will do for now.  

She has strong interest in sociology, psychology, philosophy and ethics classes.  Future job prospects with a 4 year in any of these concentrations seem questionable.  She may need to get a second bachelor degree at some point and perhaps a master degree. 

Since I couldn't find a degree or concentration in Ethics on COSC's website, the courses I listed were a judgment - perhaps not a good one.  Now that COSC is limiting the ACE credits they will accept, we're re-evaluating TESU and Excelsior.  I had skipped TESU for a while because they had become more expensive than COSC - same for Excelsior.  However, if COSC requires 30 credits be fulfilled by RA schools, TESU & Exc just made a huge leap to the number 1 & 2 positions.  

Sad to see COSC is no longer a Big 3.  Guess it's the Big 2 at this point.
Robin
Member since 2008

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 99 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 184 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 163 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,852 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 222 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,609 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 581 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 228 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 645 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,221 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM