Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with degree plan for my 17 yo
(06-18-2020, 06:59 PM)rvm Wrote: Do the English Comp courses have proctored exams?  That's a concern for us because we're in a rural area where Internet is very slow - just slightly better than dial-up - with no options to upgrade or switch ISPs .  My state is still in phase I of re-opening (libraries are closed) so there's no where we can go to get faster Internet at this time.  ProctorU and RPN have never worked for us at our home.

How are your cell phone connections? Do you get LTE? If so, tethering or getting a cell modem during/for tests ought to at least allow you to do RPNow.
(06-18-2020, 04:31 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 02:55 PM)anewmanx Wrote: https://www.nmjc.edu/

that’s your best bet for cheap online ra credit.

Can you give us more info?  The website is pretty light on details.  What I was able to find were scheduled classes.  Do they have anything self-paced?  What costs are involved?
Not self paced. Online community college classes, something like $70 a credit for out of state.
(06-18-2020, 06:59 PM)rvm Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 08:54 AM)alab21 Wrote: If you’re a homeschool family, you might also consider joining one of the Homeschooling for College Credit Facebook groups for your state. They may also have some dual credit options. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Thank you!  What a wonderful find!  ASU is on her college wish list.    

My daughter does have a few high school courses remaining which I was planning to give credit for - she's home schooled - if she completes college algebra and English Comp I & II.  

Do the English Comp courses have proctored exams?  That's a concern for us because we're in a rural area where Internet is very slow - just slightly better than dial-up - with no options to upgrade or switch ISPs .  My state is still in phase I of re-opening (libraries are closed) so there's no where we can go to get faster Internet at this time.  ProctorU and RPN have never worked for us at our home.

English is not from what I can tell. I’m enrolled in Eng 101. 5 papers (4% each), writers journals (10%), participation assignments 5%, eportfolio 6%, content mastery(25%), quizzes (40%). I’m pretty sure 102 doesn’t either. You can call their help line and ask. Be sure to use the EA helpline linked on their page. The main campus often has no idea about the EA classes.

College algebra is proctored. It’s 100% of the grade.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(06-18-2020, 09:38 PM)rvm Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 11:21 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I've never seen an ethics concentration at any college or university. Usually you take one ethics course and you're done with ethics. It's great that you're picking courses for her. How involved in this plan is she? She needs to be invested in this and doing the legwork. She will be the one talking with colleges and figuring out her degree plan once she's enrolled. The colleges won't legally be able to discuss anything with you due to FERPA. Why doesn't she join the forum and ask questions? Has she started any of the Sophia courses? That might be a good start for her right now because everything on Sophia is free until July 31st. Distance learning isn't for everyone. Some people excel at it and others struggle immensely.

Study.com indicates there could be an Ethics concentration with a major in Philosophy available at a small number of uni's.  https://study.com/articles/Ethics_Degree...grams.html

Currently, my daughter has limited involvement in planning HER degree.  It's a huge amount of information that would overwhelm her.  If I make a degree plan with options and links to pertinent information, then subsequently show her where she can make modifications to the plan, she can take it from there.  A 17 year old who will soon graduate high school can figure out how to construct her own degree plan.  I've taken the initiative to give her a starter plan in order to help remove weeks, or perhaps months, of research on her part, essentially acting as her advisor.  Since I know her strengths and weaknesses, I have tailored her degree plan, where possible, to take advantage of the liberals arts classes that she enjoys.

It would be a good idea if she would join this forum so I can take a step back and she can take control.  

I think she'll begin Sophia in the next day or so with the help of her tutor.  I sent the tutor the syllabus for college algebra so she (the tutor) can decide if she thinks it's a class my daughter is prepared to tackle.  If not, she can do the foundational math (she can get high school credit for that class) prior to taking college algebra.

Home schooling has afforded her the opportunity to control her learning in self-paced online classes.

Thank you for the info about FERPA.  That's not something I would have thought about.

I looked at the Study.com link you provided and it would be really nice if they listed out the schools that they're talking about having an ethics concentration. None of the schools they show even have a philosophy program. They're all degrees in healthcare.  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
It’s worth mentioning there is a pretty large discount out there for a year of study.com, but for the life of me I don’t remember the website I found it on.
(06-19-2020, 11:40 AM)anewmanx Wrote: It’s worth mentioning there is a pretty large discount out there for a year of study.com, but for the life of me I don’t remember the website I found it on.

I know I saw it mentioned here but I thought that the discount was over.
(06-19-2020, 11:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 11:40 AM)anewmanx Wrote: It’s worth mentioning there is a pretty large discount out there for a year of study.com, but for the life of me I don’t remember the website I found it on.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...unt-983-99
(06-19-2020, 12:08 PM)anewmanx Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 11:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...unt-983-99

This thread was over a year ago. I don't see anyone talking about a SDC discount code lately. Wish there was! I want to take a bunch of courses from them, but not thrilled about $200 a month to do it.
TESU has a minimum age of 18. Looking if Excelsior has a minimum age for my 16 year old, starting in August.
For those who didn't know already, COSC age requirement is 16. TESU is 18, Excelsior doesn't matter as long as the applicant has a high school diploma or GED. Note: This high school diploma can be either a homeschooled diploma, an online school, or a public/private high school.

So EC, for example, if you are 14 (or your child), have a homeschooled high school diploma because you accelerated & compacted your education, and have completed your all college requirements but the Capstone/Cornerstone, you can finish the degree after taking two more courses at Excelsior.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Kab

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 32 433 2 hours ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 0 32 4 hours ago
Last Post: nhmimi
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 131 Today, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 272 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,472 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,850 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 174 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 309 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 952 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 193 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737