Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with degree plan for my 17 yo
I second the notion of ASU EA. For $33/credit, the price of the courses is hard to beat. That puts them on par with SDC right now.
(06-18-2020, 09:51 AM)rvm Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 10:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What does she plan on doing for a job with a degree focused on ethics? Will a college take this many courses in ethics? I ask because some schools are really picky.

She's undecided on a career but since she's young (17 yo) and ready to get her 4-year degree asap, almost any 4-year degree will do for now.  

She has strong interest in sociology, psychology, philosophy and ethics classes.  Future job prospects with a 4 year in any of these concentrations seem questionable.  She may need to get a second bachelor degree at some point and perhaps a master degree. 

Since I couldn't find a degree or concentration in Ethics on COSC's website, the courses I listed were a judgment - perhaps not a good one.  Now that COSC is limiting the ACE credits they will accept, we're re-evaluating TESU and Excelsior.  I had skipped TESU for a while because they had become more expensive than COSC - same for Excelsior.  However, if COSC requires 30 credits be fulfilled by RA schools, TESU & Exc just made a huge leap to the number 1 & 2 positions.  

Sad to see COSC is no longer a Big 3.  Guess it's the Big 2 at this point.

I've never seen an ethics concentration at any college or university. Usually you take one ethics course and you're done with ethics. It's great that you're picking courses for her. How involved in this plan is she? She needs to be invested in this and doing the legwork. She will be the one talking with colleges and figuring out her degree plan once she's enrolled. The colleges won't legally be able to discuss anything with you due to FERPA. Why doesn't she join the forum and ask questions? Has she started any of the Sophia courses? That might be a good start for her right now because everything on Sophia is free until July 31st. Distance learning isn't for everyone. Some people excel at it and others struggle immensely.
(06-18-2020, 11:21 AM)ss20ts Wrote: [quote='rvm' pid='311318' dateline='1592491880']
[quote='ss20ts' pid='311294' dateline='1592451879']
.”The colleges won't legally be able to discuss anything with you due to FERPA.

Kids can sign a FERPA waiver so the parents can help them plan and talk with their advisor (should not talk to teachers), just like a high school advisor does with the dual credit students in her charge.

In the homeschool world this is very common practice, since we are parent, teacher, and academic advisor. It may be less familiar to people who attended public school, and therefore less comfortable. Her daughter is a high school student (public or homeschooled), with learning disabilities that could become a blockade to her future, trying to essentially navigate dual credit and a degree. The student needs an advocate willing to take the time to help guide her. Mom happens to be that person. <3

Kids with parents who are involved in the planning side, tend to do better overall. Kids don’t have a concept of finances at this age. I’m a big proponent of parents staying involved. There are too many adults running around with a life time of debt hanging over them. Aka indentured servants. This group is all about preventing that and getting across the finish line. Smile

There’s obviously a line not to cross, where the child should step up and participate in their own higher education and OP hasn’t shared the level of that involvement with us. Probably bc it’s not information we need in order to help her. Smile

PS: Please read all of the above from a point of kindness and no snark, as that’s how I wrote it. Smile it’s difficult to tell a person’s intent from a text box. Smile promise I’m sending nothing but love out into the universe!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • a4tunatemom
(06-18-2020, 11:54 AM)alab21 Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 11:21 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 10:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: .”The colleges won't legally be able to discuss anything with you due to FERPA.

Kids can sign a FERPA waiver so the parents can help them plan and talk with their advisor (should not talk to teachers), just like a high school advisor does with the dual credit students in her charge.

In the homeschool world this is very common practice, since we are parent, teacher, and academic advisor. It may be less familiar to people who attended public school, and therefore less comfortable. Her daughter is a high school student (public or homeschooled), with learning disabilities that could become a blockade to her future, trying to essentially navigate dual credit and a degree. The student needs an advocate willing to take the time to help guide her. Mom happens to be that person. <3

Kids with parents who are involved in the planning side, tend to do better overall. Kids don’t have a concept of finances at this age. I’m a big proponent of parents staying involved. There are too many adults running around with a life time of debt hanging over them. Aka indentured servants. This group is all about preventing that and getting across the finish line. Smile

There’s obviously a line not to cross, where the child should step up and participate in their own higher education and OP hasn’t shared the level of that involvement with us. Probably bc it’s not information we need in order to help her. Smile

PS: Please read all of the above from a point of kindness and no snark, as that’s how I wrote it. Smile it’s difficult to tell a person’s intent from a text box. Smile promise I’m sending nothing but love out into the universe!

Even with a signed FERPA everything can't be disclosed to parents. The student will still be the one responsible for her tuition and course selection. We see many parents on here planning their 17, 18 year old child's future, but not the children themselves. Sometimes it seems like the parents need to take a small step back and have the kids come on here and other forums to see what the entire process really is. They're the ones who are going to have to do it. They're the ones who are going to be applying for jobs and interviewing and the parents won't be there with them.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • LongRoad, rachel83az
(06-17-2020, 10:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What does she plan on doing for a job with a degree focused on ethics? Will a college take this many courses in ethics? I ask because some schools are really picky.

She's undecided on a career but since she's young (17 yo) and ready to get her 4-year degree asap, almost any 4-year degree will do for now.  

She has strong interest in sociology, psychology, philosophy and ethics classes.  Future job prospects with a 4 year in any of these concentrations seem questionable.  She may need to get a second bachelor degree at some point and perhaps a master degree. 

Since I couldn't find a degree or concentration in Ethics on COSC's website, the courses I listed were a judgment - perhaps not a good one.  Now that COSC is limiting the ACE credits they will accept, we're re-evaluating TESU and Excelsior.  I had skipped TESU for a while because they had become more expensive than COSC - same for Excelsior.  However, if COSC requires 30 credits be fulfilled by RA schools, TESU & Exc just made a huge leap to the number 1 & 2 positions.  

Sad to see COSC is no longer a Big 3.  Guess it's the Big 2 at this point.

She should focus on Law school as the next logical step. Corporate law, non-profit, victim advocacy. There are a plethora of specialties that rely on ethics.

(06-18-2020, 07:56 AM)rvm Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 02:55 PM)anewmanx Wrote: https://www.nmjc.edu/

that’s your best bet for cheap online ra credit.

Thank you!  Have you taken online classes at NMJC?  Which proctoring service do they use?

I have not. I just knew they were the cheapest online ra credit in the USA.
(06-17-2020, 02:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: 6 of them (cornerstone and capstone) have to be taken at COSC. The remaining 24 can be from regionally accredited sources, such as community colleges and/or universities. You can find a list of inexpensive credit sources on the wiki https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

For the 24 additional credits that cannot be ACE credits, will COSC accept TECEP exams, the Ohio University exams, or the NYU Foreign Language Proficiency exams or perhaps other similar university exams which I haven't listed, if they are any?
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
(06-17-2020, 02:55 PM)anewmanx Wrote: https://www.nmjc.edu/

that’s your best bet for cheap online ra credit.

Can you give us more info?  The website is pretty light on details.  What I was able to find were scheduled classes.  Do they have anything self-paced?  What costs are involved?
(06-18-2020, 08:54 AM)alab21 Wrote: The $99 ea.asu.edu courses are hard to beat for RA credit right now. You only pay at the end if you like the grade and want it on a transcript too. No risk, no record of failure. Retake as many times as she needs. Normal cost is $25 ID fee, $400 at the end. that’s a great price for RA credit, unless she has free or discounted dual credit options locally. some are self paced with up to a year to complete- English 1 (though may not continue to be so I’d do that ASAP) and maths, so she can take her time on them. Especially if you don’t mind paying the $400-425/course. Once she’s taken English 101  and college Algebra, those should replace any placement test reqs at most colleges (check with your local options), if she needs to do any local courses.

No placement tests or transcripts needed at ASU to start. Just photo ID. Eng 102 (Comp 2) has a July start date or August for the $99 rate, if that matters. They only have suggested prerequisite courses, but don’t restrict you from taking things based on that (some have done Eng 102, then 101). There’s a host of options starting 8/18. Astronomy is a nice science with lab credit. 3 in my family are taking it now. Fun class. The math isn’t too tough and the discussion forums for the course usually give great help and tell you how to do the more challenging problems (~20 math problems/week, algebra and basic geometry so far. I hear the final only has ~ 3 math questions ). An A or B in that course is doable if you do all of the open book stuff and self assessed stuff to 100% or close to it — even if you bomb the final, it’s only 25% of the grade. If she does Eng 1-2, College Algebra, (no matter how long self paced takes), plus Astronomy 8/18 (4cr) =13cr so far. I hear the following courses are good and not math or writing heavy (though I think some may have a paper): human origins (anthropology), western civilizations, Health and Wellness. Sociology does have some adult sexuality topics that concern some parents. Maybe good to do while she’s home with you, if you’re concerned. she could take all or nearly all of what she needs via ASU, and a good chunk of it at $99/course if she did summer school. And all of it at no risk to her GPA, which to me is worth a lot. It might be tough to do more than Astronomy, and 1 other at a time in the fall, with a learning disability. Then again, she could try more,  just prioritize the ones that matter, and be willing to drop any excess.(avoid chem for her, it’s the most challenging from what I’ve heard).

Please check that all of that works and transfers as it seems it would, as I’m NOT the COSC guru, but I am in the thick of discussions lately from a homeschool perspective, for ASU and dual credit in my state. Smile

I also like that these credits should transfer anywhere, should she change her mind on career or degree paths, as teens often do. Recently I’ve realized that Sophia and SL are also accepted at a wider range of brick and mortars than I once thought. I’ve been doing a bit of research in my state. Colleges tend not to say so, you have to ask. Not saying don’t do COSC, just saying this combo has options. I like to keep all those doors open as long as possible for my teens. They can be unpredictable sometimes. Wink  

If you’re a homeschool family, you might also consider joining one of the Homeschooling for College Credit Facebook groups for your state. They may also have some dual credit options. Smile

Thank you!  What a wonderful find!  ASU is on her college wish list.    

My daughter does have a few high school courses remaining which I was planning to give credit for - she's home schooled - if she completes college algebra and English Comp I & II.  

Do the English Comp courses have proctored exams?  That's a concern for us because we're in a rural area where Internet is very slow - just slightly better than dial-up - with no options to upgrade or switch ISPs .  My state is still in phase I of re-opening (libraries are closed) so there's no where we can go to get faster Internet at this time.  ProctorU and RPN have never worked for us at our home.
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
Sophia is the only one I know of who doesn't use proctored exams. Instead they use biometrics.

I feel your pain about libraries being closed. Ours have been closed since mid-March and I want to go to one so badly. I want out of the house. I would just like to read and study outside of my own home for a change of scenery and some days for some quiet. We have no idea when libraries will be reopening here either. It's been over 3 months now.
(06-18-2020, 11:21 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I've never seen an ethics concentration at any college or university. Usually you take one ethics course and you're done with ethics. It's great that you're picking courses for her. How involved in this plan is she? She needs to be invested in this and doing the legwork. She will be the one talking with colleges and figuring out her degree plan once she's enrolled. The colleges won't legally be able to discuss anything with you due to FERPA. Why doesn't she join the forum and ask questions? Has she started any of the Sophia courses? That might be a good start for her right now because everything on Sophia is free until July 31st. Distance learning isn't for everyone. Some people excel at it and others struggle immensely.

Study.com indicates there could be an Ethics concentration with a major in Philosophy available at a small number of uni's.  https://study.com/articles/Ethics_Degree...grams.html

Currently, my daughter has limited involvement in planning HER degree.  It's a huge amount of information that would overwhelm her.  If I make a degree plan with options and links to pertinent information, then subsequently show her where she can make modifications to the plan, she can take it from there.  A 17 year old who will soon graduate high school can figure out how to construct her own degree plan.  I've taken the initiative to give her a starter plan in order to help remove weeks, or perhaps months, of research on her part, essentially acting as her advisor.  Since I know her strengths and weaknesses, I have tailored her degree plan, where possible, to take advantage of the liberals arts classes that she enjoys.

It would be a good idea if she would join this forum so I can take a step back and she can take control.  

I think she'll begin Sophia in the next day or so with the help of her tutor.  I sent the tutor the syllabus for college algebra so she (the tutor) can decide if she thinks it's a class my daughter is prepared to tackle.  If not, she can do the foundational math (she can get high school credit for that class) prior to taking college algebra.

Home schooling has afforded her the opportunity to control her learning in self-paced online classes.

Thank you for the info about FERPA.  That's not something I would have thought about.
Robin
Member since 2008

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 118 6 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,240 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,957 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 217 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 212 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,177 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 525 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,310 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 174 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM