Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how many sophia classes have you passed?
how many sophia classes have you passed?  do you have any tips for people considering taking them? here are mine
halleluYAH i passed!!! some of these where hard ngl

intro. to psychology: 86
approaches to studying religion:80
human biology:78
intro. to ethics:74
eng. comp. I:80
art history I:85

my tips:
for human bio, you might want to do some research before starting the course, because i had already taken natural sciences clep and it really helps.
for eng comp, be ready for some picky graders and some technical issues.
[-] The following 2 users Like MadisonSylura's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, Pikachu
I've done literally everything at Sophia aside from English Comp II (I will do this. Eventually.) and Public Communication (I might do this).

If you want to pass, you MUST do the practice milestones. They are optional and not identical to the actual milestones but the questions are often similar enough that you'll be able to do well on the actual milestone after completing the practice one. This is especially important for courses like Business Law or Principles of Finance where they don't tell you WHY a certain question is right or wrong on the milestone/challenges. It either is or it is not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Muldoon, Pikachu
I'm finding Human Biology to be a breeze after taking their College Algebra and Introduction to Statistics courses. Some of the material overlaps.

For some courses, I didn't find the practice milestones to help much like biology. But for algebra and stats, I found the practice milestones to be extremely helpful. Wish I had time for them when I took economics over the summer. I had 3 days to complete it so I could get another free class. I really dislike the courses that just say your answer is wrong, but not why or where to find that info. That doesn't help me at all! I don't know what material I need to review.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
I have everything done except for Public Speaking/Business Law.

I am not doing the foundations as even the partner universities, typically don't accept it (some of them say DO NOT TAKE THIS)
I've taken them all except for English Comp II (too much writing and capricious graders), Business Law and Principles of Finance (didn't exist at the time).

No nasty surprises, except that Intro to Stats and Ethics were very unpleasant for me.  If I'm ever reincarnated, I'm skipping those two next time around.  Kantian Deontology can go take a long walk off a short pier.

Never took a practice milestone, but I would definitely trust Rachel's advice.

Oh, and I got credit for all of them, including the Foundations courses and College Readiness.  YMMV.
[-] The following 3 users Like ctcarl's post:
  • crotique, Pikachu, ss20ts
(11-03-2020, 02:49 PM)ctcarl Wrote: I've taken them all except for English Comp II (too much writing and capricious graders), Business Law and Principles of Finance (didn't exist at the time).

No nasty surprises, except that Intro to Stats and Ethics were very unpleasant for me.  If I'm ever reincarnated, I'm skipping those two next time around.  Kantian Deontology can go take a long walk off a short pier.

Oh, and I got credit for all of them, including the Foundations courses and College Readiness.  YMMV.

I dropped ethics over the summer when it was free. I am taking philosophy next week then taking ethics again as per rachel's advice. My husband is taking ethics again and he's already completed philosophy. He said it's MUCH easier this time around.
I did 7 classes, for 17 ACE-recommended credits. I am hoping Ethics and Statistics will help towards a degree. The other 11 credits, well, I guess they were for personal development only Big Grin I'm okay with that.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(11-03-2020, 02:49 PM)ctcarl Wrote: . . .

. . .

Every time someone casually mentions "Kantian Deontology" I get the urge to scream.   I come from a didactic background, but I thought Sophia Learning tackled the topic well.     There was also a compare/ contrast essay in English Comp II where the researcher made a Kantian argument about uniforms in schools; it was absolutely ridiculous.

Those practice milestones are golden.  I would highly recommend just selecting any answer on the practices to see the rationale given for WHY a particular answer is correct before taking the graded milestones.
(11-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Skoolie Wrote: Every time someone casually mentions "Kantian Deontology" I get the urge to scream.

Good thing it doesn't come up very often in casual conversation.
(11-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Skoolie Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 02:49 PM)ctcarl Wrote: . . .

. . .

Every time someone casually mentions "Kantian Deontology" I get the urge to scream.   I come from a didactic background, but I thought Sophia Learning tackled the topic well.     There was also a compare/ contrast essay in English Comp II where the researcher made a Kantian argument about uniforms in schools; it was absolutely ridiculous.

Those practice milestones are golden.  I would highly recommend just selecting any answer on the practices to see the rationale given for WHY a particular answer is correct before taking the graded milestones.

Ahhhh......the Rogerian argument. Insert the biggest eye roll one can find. The one article was ridiculous. The other one wasn't even really about the uniforms. I dragged my feet writing that Touchstone for like a month.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 359 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 782 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,449 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,324 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 336 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 656 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 938 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 216 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 891 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 361 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle