Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how many sophia classes have you passed?
I completely agree with this. I don’t think simply choosing the most “politically correct” answer even worked with that specific course. I don’t recall feeling that it leaned in any “right” or “left” directions that I can remember, but it certainly didn’t present the questions in a neutral way with the content given.

The content itself wasn’t bad & pretty straightforward to what I’ve learned in PBS documentaries & books I’ve read, but it was the way the questions were asked, (& the answers expected) that were jarring to me. That said, this was the only course I had any issue with though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Calstar's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
(11-08-2020, 09:47 AM)Calstar Wrote: I completely agree with this. I don’t think simply choosing the most “politically correct” answer even worked with that specific course. I don’t recall feeling that it leaned in any “right” or “left” directions that I can remember, but it certainly didn’t present the questions in a neutral way with the content given.

The content itself wasn’t bad & pretty straightforward to what I’ve learned in PBS documentaries & books I’ve read, but it was the way the questions were asked, (& the answers expected) that were jarring to me.  That said, this was the only course I had any issue with though.

Yes, so much this. The content itself was fine (I found the PDFs to be quite interesting) but the questions were certainly weird in comparison to History I. If History I had been the same, I wouldn't have been as surprised. Thinking about it, I almost get the feeling that the questions for History II were written by a right-leaning person trying to guess what a left-leaning teacher would actually teach. I get that history can be biased but these were biased in such a weird way.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-08-2020, 10:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 09:47 AM)Calstar Wrote: I completely agree with this. I don’t think simply choosing the most “politically correct” answer even worked with that specific course. I don’t recall feeling that it leaned in any “right” or “left” directions that I can remember, but it certainly didn’t present the questions in a neutral way with the content given.

The content itself wasn’t bad & pretty straightforward to what I’ve learned in PBS documentaries & books I’ve read, but it was the way the questions were asked, (& the answers expected) that were jarring to me.  That said, this was the only course I had any issue with though.

Yes, so much this. The content itself was fine (I found the PDFs to be quite interesting) but the questions were certainly weird in comparison to History I. If History I had been the same, I wouldn't have been as surprised. Thinking about it, I almost get the feeling that the questions for History II were written by a right-leaning person trying to guess what a left-leaning teacher would actually teach. I get that history can be biased but these were biased in such a weird way.

Maybe because I am Canadian,and an old red tory, and that is not exactly the same view on left right as found in the states, and is waning even in Canada to some degree

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tory
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
I have the "feeling" that some people rushed trough the courses. I read everything, is that not normal?
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
Yes! Especially the “choose the quotation that someone in this position might feel“ questions. Glad someone else agrees!

& SweetSugarNL - Totally normal! I read every word in the courses that I felt I needed, but if I got the feeling that I was just reading for the sake of it in a subject I was well versed in, I just skimmed & did quite well. I think TONS of people did rush through them though. Once those $300+ courses were offered free for a VERY limited amount of time, a giant money clock started ticking. I honestly can’t blame them for that.
(11-09-2020, 12:45 PM)Calstar Wrote: Yes! Especially the “choose the quotation that someone in this position might feel“ questions. Glad someone else agrees!

Thirding dislike of these question types. Not only is the question dodgy, but I recall several occasions where two of the four multiple choice options could've been reasonably argued for, and it came down to pure supposition.

Personally, the question should instead be phrased as 'choose the quotation that you think the designer of this test feels that someone in this position might feel, based on your interpretation of their opinions and beliefs as displayed throughout other questions in this test'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • rachel83az
(11-04-2020, 12:51 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 06:51 AM)al329 Wrote: ETHICS = worst pain you can bring on yourself

Ha. I really enjoyed this class! To me, was one of the easiest of all Sophia courses I've taken.

I just did this one and it hurt my brain. I am pretty good with comprehension and this class just made me dizzy. I am happy with the 84 % I received even if that grade doesn’t transfer over.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2023
University of Maine at Presque Isle  (UMPI)- BLS, Minor in Management  Summer 23

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 194 Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,541 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 507 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 944 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 149 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 565 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,489 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 806 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,027 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 275 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77