Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to verify credits?
sierraecho1 Wrote:The other people posting are fairly wrong on this account. ACE transcripts are sufficient. Whatever he hasn't translated into units at a college will fall onto his Joint Service Transcripts under the college level testing section. Even SAT/ACT scores go there too. It's pretty much a catch all for college activity. Once it converts to units however you choose to do it, it will be added again separately as a class under the appropriate heading. I only know this because I'm actively doing it. Now for meritorious advancement based on completed college, he must have actually been awarded credit for the course at the school. That would be the advantage to banking the credits. It should be 24 semester hours to go from E-1 to E-2 and 48 semester hours to go from E-1 to E-3. Starting out at the higher paygrade would balance out the cost of banking the credits and also speed up his overall advancement in the military. :0)

Thanks for posting sierraecho1.
So, here is what my son has:
Here is what he has:
FEMA, 9 (not on an ACE or college transcript)
Community College, 3 (college transcript)
ALEKS, 12 (ACE transcript)
Straighterline, 3 (ACE transcript)
CLEP, 6 (college board transcript)

So, what I'm trying to figure out, is how to consolidate everything into one source, and it seems as if 24 is the "magic number." In other words, he has 24 without his FEMA. So, if I'm reading you correctly, additional effort and cost of getting those 9 FEMA "might not" really be worth it if he's already at 24? I ask because despite all my efforts, I keep coming back to TESC as the only way to get absolutely everything into one transcript. And, the way we would do it, is to enroll and then not-complete, for a cost of almost $3000. I was cautioned AGAINST using the TESC credit bank, and I am not a credit bank fan because it DOESNT work in the real world. I want to be smart and get these on a college transcript, not a bank. So, if I removed the FEMA from my worries for him, we could simply use "any" community college that accepts CLEP, transfer, and ACE? Does that sound right?
I think that you are way overthinking this. I am pretty sure that all you have to do is have each of them send a sealed transcript to the recruiters office then he will do the work of putting them in their system. When I joined the AF, i went to the two schools that I had credits from, got sealed transcripts from each, and dropped them off to the recruiter, done.

And not to say there is anything wrong with the other branches, all have their pros and cons, but if he is undecided I think that the CCAF alone is worth going AF.
Vandalet Wrote:I think that you are way overthinking this. I am pretty sure that all you have to do is have each of them send a sealed transcript to the recruiters office then he will do the work of putting them in their system. When I joined the AF, i went to the two schools that I had credits from, got sealed transcripts from each, and dropped them off to the recruiter, done.

And not to say there is anything wrong with the other branches, all have their pros and cons, but if he is undecided I think that the CCAF alone is worth going AF.

He is looking at AF ahead of everyone else. Are you sure about the transcripts thought? These are not colleges, they are just sources of credit.
I may have just gotten a cool recruiter, but all he wanted was sealed copies from the sorces. I dont think that its super official, they just need to see that he is at or over that credit number(24 sounds right) then he plugs it into the system when he submits his paperwork. He'll still need to send transcripts to the CCAF after he gets in, so its not part of that when the recruiter verifys it.

Unless he is super sure that he wants to stay in for a while, dont let the recruiter talk him into doing the 6 year over the 4 year enlistment. You only need 3 years Active to get the full Post 911 GI Bill, so if he decides he wants to get out and go to school(and maybe stay in the reserves like I did) it works out pretty good.
Charter Oak also has a credit registry service, and they accept "free" FEMAs:
Charter Oak State College - Credit Registry
If your son is only going to sign up to get a transcript, Charter Oak might be the cheapest option.

This thread might be helpful.

http://www.degreeforum.net/military-disc...ion-2.html
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Are you already serving or are you attempting to enlist? When I was recruiting I seem to remember needing transcripts from an accredited college, or some sort of education verification form signed by administration...

If you are already serving, what you are saying about the JST is correct (what used to be SMART and AARTS, etc...), to actually enlist I still believe you need the transcripts. Ill see if I can dig up my old copy of the recruiting manual or find a version online...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
In COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1130.8J –VOLUME II – CH4 (Navy recruiting manual) it does not list ACE or NCCRS as accrediting bodies. It does mention DETC and the normal Regional Accrediting bodies. It also mentions that for just about every scenario under the Tier I category (General High School Graduate which includes Homeschooling) a diploma and transcripts are required OR just transcripts. In either case you can see that transcripts are required. So since the manual does spell out the accrediting bodies that are acceptable, and it does make mention of transcripts, one could reasonably assume that these transcripts must be acquired from an institution accredited by one of the aforementioned accrediting bodies.

Please note that this is from the Navy Recruiting manual so there is a slight possibility; however highly unlikely, that it may be different for the other branches of service. Also keep in mind that this is for entrance into the Navy and pretty much doesn't apply to those already in the service. ACE recommended a substantial amount of credits for my Navy training. The Navy took these credit recommendations and put them on a SMART transcript for me and gave them over to TESC who then in turn gave me "real" credits based off those recommendations.
2013 BS
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS

[/SIZE]
My son is planning on enlisting in the Navy within the next couple weeks. He is doing ALEKS algebra right now so that he can get some math practice before taking the ASVAB. My son has already taken enough FEMA courses to put him at the 48 credit limit. We're banking them on COSC, and we'll see if that will work when he actually enlists. I'll post here to let everyone know.
He can pick up an ASVAB study guide at the library or purchase a used copy off Amazon. I bet his recruiter may have a copy or 2 laying around the office.

There is no Algebra in the ASVAB. It's pretty simple math for the most part. There is a section of speed calculations in which one is asked to complete a certain number of calculations (2+2, 3+1. 5-2, etc...) in a specified amount of time.
2013 BS
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,462 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,870 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,434 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,366 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,864 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Advanced Enlistment with College Credits jmeitrem 15 7,207 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: C5259
  Cheap source of credits for veterans UptonSinclair 7 2,707 01-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,135 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3
  DLPT 1/1 good for how many credits? GamingTheSystem 1 1,264 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Last Post: ReyB250
  Can you take a look at these credits and figure out the fastest bachelor's degree wmccullen 10 2,562 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: cookderosa