Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my unofficial transcript - your profound wisdom
(02-18-2020, 06:24 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 02:57 PM)Max007 Wrote: Out of roughly 132-138 transfer credits (attached) and an AAS, I believe, If I'm not mistaken, TESU had accepted in the vicinity of 75 or so.  That seemed abysmal to me.

What courses exactly that were not accepted into the BSBA that you felt should have been accepted?

(02-18-2020, 02:57 PM)Max007 Wrote: I also recall some 300 level courses that were awarded from one of the universities I had attended coming in at 100 level at TESU.  Managerial Accounting and Finance both 300 levels came in at 101. That can't be possible, can it?  I still have the class outlines, specifically designating 300.

This means nothing to your degree and won't make any difference in the UL courses you have to take at TESU. 

Just a quick glance at your transcript and see your missing for the BSBA:  Ethics, statistics, Civic Engagement, Prin Management, Business in Society, Microeconomics,  Computer Concepts, Business Communications, 4 UL courses, 2 AOS courses, cornerstone and the capstone for a total of 45 credits.

Thank you kindly for your response, LU.

As previously mentioned, I'm currently unable to view the courses which were excluded from the BSBA, and I don't recall off the top of my head, unfortunately.  I know this is important.

3 or 400 level courses that transfer in won't have any bearing on my UL requirements?

I know we're just ball-parking here.  I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down.  However, 45 credits just seems excessive.  Some institutions are better than others with substituting credits.
(02-18-2020, 07:36 PM)Max007 Wrote: 3 or 400 level courses that transfer in won't have any bearing on my UL requirements?

For the BSBA there are 2 separate parts. Professional requirements and AOS requirements. The UL courses you said you had were "Managerial Accounting and Finance" which are both required in professional requirements.

It's the AOS (18 total credits) part where you need the 4 UL courses.

So in other words, you can't just take for example UL Financial Accounting, UL Principles of Finance and UL Business Communications for the professional requirements and also use those courses towards the 4 UL requirements of the AOS. Then just take all LL courses in the AOS.

Those courses would still count for your professional requirements the same if they are UL or LL courses and be no advantage to take the UL course.

I'm not sure if TESU would let you take 2 separate courses for example 101 Principles of Finance for professional requirements and then take say 303 Principles of Finance to use in AOS. Or that will count as a duplicate course. I haven't seen anybody attempt to make a degree plan doing that yet.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-18-2020, 06:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Max, I would do the FREE credits in wiki within my signature link.  Sign up for CSM Learn and complete that, next sign up for StraighterLine or Study.com to complete the remaining Lower Level courses and use Study.com for the UL requirements.  Lastly, complete the cornerstone/capstone at TESU.  BTW, I sent you a PM.
What are "FREE credits in wiki"
(02-18-2020, 09:42 PM)Giantzebra Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 06:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Max, I would do the FREE credits in wiki within my signature link.  Sign up for CSM Learn and complete that, next sign up for StraighterLine or Study.com to complete the remaining Lower Level courses and use Study.com for the UL requirements.  Lastly, complete the cornerstone/capstone at TESU.  BTW, I sent you a PM.
What are "FREE credits in wiki"

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Why TESU? Have your ever thought of applying to Charter Oak or Excelsior? Or even WGU? They might give you more credits. Charter Oak and Excelsior require 2 courses with them like TESU. 
WGU will make you take 30 credits from them so (90 credits transferred in) but those 30 credits are similar to study.com, straighterline and alt credits. You can do these self paced and finish them all quickly it might actually be quicker than Tesu.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • Max007
It looks like you've done the ONE thing I tell people never to do, because it screws everything up - you've changed majors at least once, possibly twice, and that is going to cause problems for people no matter what school you go to. In looking at hundreds and hundreds of transcripts over the years, this is THE problem that causes people to quit school even when they have a bazillion credits. Just a public service announcement here, because there's nothing you can do about it at this point, but someone is going to read this and possibly change their mind and stick with a plan they might have been tempted to change, so it's not for nothing.

Next: when you're looking at getting a degree, you should be looking FORWARD rather than BACKWARDS. Looking backwards is saying "what did you give me for the credits I already took?" Looking forward is saying "what will it take in time/money to finish my degree?" It is very important that you look forwards, because that's the important part of the equation! It doesn't matter how many credits you "lose" in the process, it only matters what it will take to complete your degree. That is the ONLY thing you should focus on. If a school took ALL of your credits, but charged you $25k and 3 years to complete that final course there, that is not a better deal than a school that takes zero but charges you $5k and 6 months to complete it.
--------------------------------------------------------

On to you: you need very specific requirements for a BSBA, and you don't have all of those courses; not to mention the specific GE requirements. And then, you were trying to get a PTA degree, and almost NONE of those courses will work for a BSBA, where you only have 6cr of Free Electives allowed. When I look at your list, there are 42 of those credits, less the 6 you can keep = 36cr "lost" for the BSBA. The total to complete the 16 remaining courses there is about $6700.

If you opted for a BALS, you could actually use more of those credits, since you can use 27cr of free electives in that degree. So only 15cr "lost". Still not great, but better. When I look at it, you're actually only 24cr away from the BALS, with 6cr of that being the cornerstone and capstone. You need an Ethics course (free) and a US Government or Comparative Politics course to complete your GE's, then 4 UL Liberal Studies courses, and you're ready to enroll. The price to complete the 8 remaining courses there should be close to $6k.

Now, if you opted for a BSLS at COSC, it would be cheaper. You would actually have 60cr of free electives (actually "non-liberal arts" is what they call them there), so few credits lost. You just need 30cr of UL: an UL Ethics course would be good (BUS 310: Advanced Business Ethics from Study.com maybe), and an UL US History/Govt course if you don't have one (I can't tell what your history course is in, TESU didn't list the name). You seem to have 1 UL course already (Abnormal Psych). And then 4 more UL courses for your major (Business/Marketing/Leadership type course) to combine with courses you already have that are LL; and then 2 add'l UL courses, and you're done. 8 UL total. Then cornerstone & capstone. Total price to complete the 10 remaining courses there would be around $3650 if you could finish the cornerstone and capstone in a single term.

I know that sounds like a lot for someone with 138cr already, but I can almost guarantee you you'll have this issue at almost any school you choose. Because many schools want a lot more than 18 or 30 UL credits. Or you have to take a certain % of the degree with them. Or they're more expensive than the Big 3. Or any number of reasons.

All this to say that I would switch to the TESU/BALS or COSC/BSLS to make the most of the credits you've already taken, and just finish your degree and be done with it, "lost" credits and all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Imadillo, Max007, quigongene
Wow, Dfrecore. Thank you so very much for such a detailed post. Excellent.

I've not actually been flipping coins for majors. I actually obtained my AAS in physical therapy. I was in and completed my PTA program years ago. I practiced successfully for a while and then had an opportunity to jump into the business/sales side of medicine. All of the additional credits either came from prior to my entering the PTA program (there was a waiting list at the time), or post program at university working in another direction.

My managerial accounting and finance courses were both taken at a B&M university, both 300 level courses. Shouldn't this help my quest for UL credits, somewhat?

The $6,700 and $6,000 estimates for the BSBA and BALS are inclusive of the corner/capstones, yes? That seems a little high. However, you definitely know WAY more than I.

Irrespective of degree choices listed above, shouldn't I be able to take all remaining courses, lower or upper level, all through study.com and the likes?

So you would apply at COSC as well to see what they may accept?

I'm not certain if the BALS or BSLS will be any less helpful than a BSBA in the business world. Thoughts?

Also, thank you to Natshar, LevelUp and BJ as well for your responses.
(02-19-2020, 08:37 PM)Max007 Wrote: Wow, Dfrecore.  Thank you so very much for such a detailed post.  Excellent.

I've not actually been flipping coins for majors.  I actually obtained my AAS in physical therapy.  I was in and completed my PTA program years ago.  I practiced successfully for a while and then had an opportunity to jump into the business/sales side of medicine.  All of the additional credits either came from prior to my entering the PTA program (there was a waiting list at the time), or post program at university working in another direction.

My managerial accounting and finance courses were both taken at a B&M university, both 300 level courses.  Shouldn't this help my quest for UL credits, somewhat?

The $6,700 and $6,000 estimates for the BSBA and BALS are inclusive of the corner/capstones, yes?  That seems a little high.  However, you definitely know WAY more than I.

Irrespective of degree choices listed above, shouldn't I be able to take all remaining courses, lower or upper level, all through study.com and the likes?

So you would apply at COSC as well to see what they may accept?

I'm not certain if the BALS or BSLS will be any less helpful than a BSBA in the business world.  Thoughts?

Also, thank you to Natshar, LevelUp and BJ as well for your responses.

I'm not saying you didn't have a reason to change majors, I'm just saying that when you do, you end up with a situation like yours, where a bunch of credits won't apply to the new degree.  I also see a bunch of Psych courses, so I thought you might have been a Psych major at some point.

TESU counts Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting as LL no matter where you take them, or what level they were at the previous school.  COSC will as well I think.  The Finance course was brought in as LL, but TESU WILL take that as an UL course - so I'm not sure what happened there.  If you appealed it, and said it was UL at your previous school, you might be able to use it as an UL AOS course in the finance area, and then take a LL finance course in the core.  I'm not sure what COSC will do.

TESU is going to cost more just because of the cornerstone and capstone ($1137 each) and the residency waiver ($2800).  That, along with the graduation fee ($298) puts you at $5372 - which doesn't include the cost of the courses you'll need to finish your degree.  COSC is going to be less: app fee ($50), Student Services fee ($266 per term), Tech fee ($68 per term), cornerstone & capstone ($1131 each), and graduate fee ($203) puts you at $2849, then add the courses you need to take.  That residency waiver is a killer.

Now as for which degree: in your original post, you said you needed "a" degree, you did not say you needed a BSBA degree.  So, that is why I suggested a BALS from TESU, or better yet, a BSLS from COSC.  You also said you were planning an MBA afterwards.  You do not need a BSBA to get an MBA, so that's why I suggested other options.  It's totally up to you how you do it, I was just giving you some different things to think about.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • SCYankee
I'm not seeing a BSLS at COSC. Am I missing something?

Irrespective of institution (as long as big 3), and these programs (BALS, BSBA, or BSLS); I should be able to find every course I need to graduate, both lower and upper level, via study.com, et. al, correct?

That residency waiver is definitely a killer.

I didn't specify degree. I just mentioned BS. I am aware a BSBA is not the prerequisite for an MBA.
(02-20-2020, 01:19 AM)Max007 Wrote: I'm not seeing a BSLS at COSC.  Am I missing something?

Irrespective of institution (as long as big 3), and these programs (BALS, BSBA, or BSLS); I should be able to find every course I need to graduate, both lower and upper level, via study.com, et. al, correct?

That residency waiver is definitely a killer.

I didn't specify degree.  I just mentioned BS.  I am aware a BSBA is not the prerequisite for an MBA.

Yes, for a BALS/BSLS or BSBA at any of the Big 3, you should be able to easily find alternative coursework.

At COSC, for the General Studies degree (and some other degrees as well), you can choose whether you want a BA or BS.  The BA requires 90cr of Liberal Arts, and the BS requires 60cr of LA.  The remaining credits can be non-liberal arts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BACS or BSCIS transcript after graduation KMcLean 4 370 10-23-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI transcript evaluation advice dadof3 2 438 08-17-2023, 07:13 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is there a way to add a course to TESU transcript after graduating? QueenD 3 530 11-26-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  OK... transcript evals from each of big 3. Help w/decision, please?! :) studyingfortests 4 1,046 05-13-2021, 03:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions and Advice for Unofficial Credit Evaluation DegreeBy2023 10 1,572 03-25-2021, 09:16 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Sophia Classes and NYPD Academy Transcript mdel210201 8 1,874 09-23-2020, 01:16 PM
Last Post: mdel210201
  Transcript eval assistance to CBE school OldQuackKonobe 6 1,514 03-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: dfrecore