Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nursing school dilemma
You don't sound sure this is what you want. For any mid or later life career changer I would say before you go through the time and trouble of a degree try out the field. Even if you have to volunteer, make sure you will like it. You don't want to be back in 5 years looking for a third career change.

I was not sure I would want to be a teacher, that is not even the degree I will earn. After a year and a half of Substitute teaching I know the pros and the cons of the job and I know I love the good and I can put up with the bad.

When I was young(1st grade through my 30's) I knew I wanted to be a nurse. I did a good amount of volunteer work and I know I would have been a good nurse, but for various reasons it never happened. Now I know I do not want to be a nurse, both nursing and I have changed at least I knew that before I spent the time and money on nursing school.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:You don't sound sure this is what you want. For any mid or later life career changer I would say before you go through the time and trouble of a degree try out the field. Even if you have to volunteer, make sure you will like it. You don't want to be back in 5 years looking for a third career change.

I was not sure I would want to be a teacher, that is not even the degree I will earn. After a year and a half of Substitute teaching I know the pros and the cons of the job and I know I love the good and I can put up with the bad.

When I was young(1st grade through my 30's) I knew I wanted to be a nurse. I did a good amount of volunteer work and I know I would have been a good nurse, but for various reasons it never happened. Now I know I do not want to be a nurse, both nursing and I have changed at least I knew that before I spent the time and money on nursing school.

Funny you should mention this. I enrolled in a nursing assistant course that starts Monday. It will be 6 weeks, and upon completion I can apply for a job in labor and delivery as a patient tech. These jobs are entry level jobs, usually a couple days per week. I'll be using that as my litmus test Smile
I've been out of nursing for over 30 years. I started in a three year hospital program that was affiliated with a four year BSN program. I worked med surg, peds and OB for over 10 years. During part of that work experience my children were 6, 9 and 12. I worked mid afternoon until 1:00 in morning. This experience was the hardest on my children. I was never at home with them in the afternoon, evening and weekends. When I was home I was too tired to be a "good" mother.

Nursing is extremely different these days and I know from reading your posts for over a year that you are extremely motivated and able to make your own decisions. However, I feel that being the "good" mother that you are, you should listen to your children while making this decision. Being in school mornings will take your time away from them, but you will be there afternoons, evenings and a lot of weekends. Children adjust and grow from being needed and helping others. Think about the opportunity you are being offerred to give them the chance to work as a family to accomplish your goals, as well as yours.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be the right one for you.

By the way thanks for all your support last year. I'm awaiting my freshman comp with essay results (for second semester of freshman english) to have completed all the required courses for graduation from TESC. I haven't enrolled yet and still am unsure if that is the way I want to proceed. Been thinking that I might like to work as a consultant in nursing or even teach, I have the credentials and lack my BS. I finally got my credits from UTK last year after a fight for over a year. Lots has happened to me, but I'm wanting to live my life to the fullest while I can.

Give your children credit for wanting to work with you. YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO BE PROUD OF.

No matter what you decide, you deserve all the best.

Sincerely,
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
frankiebleyes Wrote:I've been out of nursing for over 30 years. I started in a three year hospital program that was affiliated with a four year BSN program. I worked med surg, peds and OB for over 10 years. During part of that work experience my children were 6, 9 and 12. I worked mid afternoon until 1:00 in morning. This experience was the hardest on my children. I was never at home with them in the afternoon, evening and weekends. When I was home I was too tired to be a "good" mother.

Nursing is extremely different these days and I know from reading your posts for over a year that you are extremely motivated and able to make your own decisions. However, I feel that being the "good" mother that you are, you should listen to your children while making this decision. Being in school mornings will take your time away from them, but you will be there afternoons, evenings and a lot of weekends. Children adjust and grow from being needed and helping others. Think about the opportunity you are being offerred to give them the chance to work as a family to accomplish your goals, as well as yours.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be the right one for you.

By the way thanks for all your support last year. I'm awaiting my freshman comp with essay results (for second semester of freshman english) to have completed all the required courses for graduation from TESC. I haven't enrolled yet and still am unsure if that is the way I want to proceed. Been thinking that I might like to work as a consultant in nursing or even teach, I have the credentials and lack my BS. I finally got my credits from UTK last year after a fight for over a year. Lots has happened to me, but I'm wanting to live my life to the fullest while I can.

Give your children credit for wanting to work with you. YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO BE PROUD OF.

No matter what you decide, you deserve all the best.

Sincerely,

Thank you!! Did I know you were a nurse?? My mind is jello, I'll blame it on the sciences lol. Well, since you posted, I'll post an update. I sent a declination to the program I was accepted into. I was very polite, and there are many behind willing to take my vacant slot. I am holding out for the pm program that starts next (2011) fall. I had worried about getting in, but I have to be confident. I have met the criteria and I have excellent grades- I hope that will pull me through.
I start my CNA clinicals on Monday. I'll be sweatin' with the oldies Smile As soon as I'm certified, I hope to get in with the L&D job I spoke of. I'll be honest with myself, and I'm not afraid to change directions- but I am going in with a good attitude. I have to say, so far, I have not yet been motivated to become a nurse, I'm still pretty solid on midwifery. Of course, that could change once I get into school.
Whatever happens, my family is first. Our commitment to homeschool wasn't made lightly. I put it right up there with my marital vows. So..... this will be a much better fit. I have not yet put it into my siggy line yet, but that's the plan! :ack:

Oh- for fun, I signed up for an EMT basic course this fall LOL. I'm having a great time. Who knew classroom classes could be fun? Just happy I didn't need 40 of them to complete a degree Smile
Glad to hear you made your decision and are happy with it. Much luck with the EMT and CNA courses.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,327 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,899 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,595 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,782 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 924 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 574 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,130 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,695 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 685 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77