Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nursing school dilemma
Linda and Alissa,
You guys both give excellent advice, and I am certainly leaning toward the second program. *the transfer suggestion would take me too long to explain, so just to keep it simple, I'll say that the courses won't transfer.

I get impatient, and I'm not good at taking things slow- so that's a part of my style that I have to keep in check. This sounds like a total clichÃ, but my mom died a year ago in May, so I have the "live like you were dying" thing going on. She was only 62.

Thanks guys.
This may be too soon to ask this question, but it could give you some breathing room in your plans. Is there any chance that you could ask to defer your admission to program 1? If for some very strange reason you do not get accepted to program 2, you would still be able to go to program 1 without having to reapply. I don't know if they would allow this for such a small group. Being able to defer my acceptance to my dream college has been very helpful to me.

I am glad that you already know that nursing courses do not transfer well (or at all!) between programs.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:This may be too soon to ask this question, but it could give you some breathing room in your plans. Is there any chance that you could ask to defer your admission to program 1? If for some very strange reason you do not get accepted to program 2, you would still be able to go to program 1 without having to reapply. I don't know if they would allow this for such a small group. Being able to defer my acceptance to my dream college has been very helpful to me.

I am glad that you already know that nursing courses do not transfer well (or at all!) between programs.
>>

Deferment is not an option, I had to sign a paper stating that I understood that. However, the cost to lock my spot is only $50 and as of today, I'm doing that. I'm willing to eat $50 and walk away- but I don't want to close of options until I have to.

The overlap is such, that I would have to start program 1 before I would know about program 2. The cost of doing that would be about $1200. THAT cost is more painful, so I'm really just going to have to decide.

I asked my kids today, and they all think I should do the morning program?? Who are these people? My oldest says "you'd get to spend more time with Dad if you went to the morning program." Smile I also told them that right now, my school fits around my family. When the time comes that I start nursing classes, my family has to fit around my schooling- and that's not how it's ever been. I also told them that while they "say" they will do their work without me being here (my 5 yo old says "why can't you just leave us a list?" LOL) I told them that if they didn't hold up their end it, that they'd have to go to public school. I explained that they couldn't skip school for 2 years lol. (total bluff btw - they are not going anywhere, but I never bluff, so it would work)
Randy did not live like he was dying, he lived each day to it's fullest. You need to get the most out of the now, but plan for the forever. Some people think I am crazy to be going to college at my age, I think what am I going to do with myself for the next 25-30 years if I don't go to college.

My Paternal Grandmother was dead by my age, she went quickly of complications of diabeties. My Maternal Grandmother died ON her 80th birthday, I still think she willed herself to die that day she was sitting up walking and talking fine 2 weeks before. So I could be dead tomorrow (I also have type 2 diabetes) or I could be around for a couple more decades(my Father died last May just short of his 85th birthday) so I may as well act as if I have lots of time or I would end up extremely bored.

So don't make your decision in a hurry and don't let yourself get bored.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:Randy did not live like he was dying, he lived each day to it's fullest. You need to get the most out of the now, but plan for the forever. Some people think I am crazy to be going to college at my age, I think what am I going to do with myself for the next 25-30 years if I don't go to college.

My Paternal Grandmother was dead by my age, she went quickly of complications of diabeties. My Maternal Grandmother died ON her 80th birthday, I still think she willed herself to die that day she was sitting up walking and talking fine 2 weeks before. So I could be dead tomorrow (I also have type 2 diabetes) or I could be around for a couple more decades(my Father died last May just short of his 85th birthday) so I may as well act as if I have lots of time or I would end up extremely bored.

So don't make your decision in a hurry and don't let yourself get bored.

(((hugs))) thanks, you are right!
Ok let me start this out by saying -I don't know you or your situation well but I would go for the morning program.

I am an LVN looking for that BSN/RN and I work as the student advocate for a nursing school. This is common for nursing school-it is a family education, it takes the whole family pitching in to pull it off. Getting accepted to a BSN program is a BIG DEAL, something to be proud of.

It will be a struggle. How long is the program, one or two years? Only you know if your kids can do it but I feel that my kids learned a lot about stepping up to the plate and seeing their mom succeed.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will excel. Just reading your posts I can tell you have it in you to be a nurse. Good Luck
mhr2133 Wrote:Ok let me start this out by saying -I don't know you or your situation well but I would go for the morning program.

I am an LVN looking for that BSN/RN and I work as the student advocate for a nursing school. This is common for nursing school-it is a family education, it takes the whole family pitching in to pull it off. Getting accepted to a BSN program is a BIG DEAL, something to be proud of.

It will be a struggle. How long is the program, one or two years? Only you know if your kids can do it but I feel that my kids learned a lot about stepping up to the plate and seeing their mom succeed.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will excel. Just reading your posts I can tell you have it in you to be a nurse. Good Luck

Thank you! You are right, it is a big deal and I'm not trying to minimize it I promise. I have worked hard for my grades, and as you know, grades are very important to the process.
I agree that this will set a good example for my children, I think the evening program would too. I am still on the fence, but I'll have to make a decision soon.
Good luck to you! I hope you get into the program you apply to too! Smile
I am a mid-life career changer since I recently lost my job and had considered a technical training school such as Kaplan,Apollo and the like. I have been seeking aptitude testing and the results have been mixed.I certainly do not want to pay for schooling that may not be what it's cracked up to be. I've spoken with some people who have gone through these and the job placement assistance has been poor.
Have you heard any different from others?
Honestly, if you're considering a nursing degree to get your foot in the door, look at local colleges like community colleges to see if they have an AA nursing program.

The big name For-Profits cost tooooooooo much money. Even the lesser known vo-techs cost an assinine amount of money. Brown Mackie College is in the same building as the business I work for, and they charge between $27,000 and $36,000 for an Associates Degree. And that's not even for an RN track nursing degree, thats for a medical 'assistant' degree. Meanwhile my bachelors in LS is running about $5,000 total.

Even Excelsior's AA nursing program, which is 1/2 courses & 1/2 self study for their ECE Test series, would likely be better and probably more cost efficient. And you can take the necessary courses through a local CC, or CLEP/DSST/test out of some of it for a lot less than going through EC themselves for it. YOu can get the course work done, apply to EC, and then start taking the tests for the Nursing portion. (I think its 9 tests and a Clinical, but I'm not sure how they work the clinical.) Just not though, that you cannot get financial aid for the AA in Nursing degree through EC, but you can for the BSN and MSN)
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
woodye85741 Wrote:I am a mid-life career changer since I recently lost my job and had considered a technical training school such as Kaplan,Apollo and the like. I have been seeking aptitude testing and the results have been mixed.I certainly do not want to pay for schooling that may not be what it's cracked up to be. I've spoken with some people who have gone through these and the job placement assistance has been poor.
Have you heard any different from others?
>>

If you are thinking of the trade schools that offer hyped-up expensive CNA, CMA, RT, etc programs- run far and fast in the other direction!!!! I won't go into it all, but do a google search, these are scams. You end up paying $30-40,000 so they can train you for a minimum wage job. Run.

Your community college should be your starting point.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,328 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,899 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,595 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,782 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 924 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 574 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,130 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,699 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 685 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77