Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opinions on SSBM DBA program?
I agree. I can certainly understand trying to get a degree as cheaply as possible. In fact that’s what 90% of us (myself included) on here are either doing , researching, or have done. But to put your hard earned time and money into something that isn’t “RA” or at the least “NA” is doing yourself a disservice. Certainly a year or two or more of your time is worth more than a couple of thousand bucks.

My grandpa always said “buy cheap , buy twice “. It definitely relates to a lot of things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-05-2022, 01:23 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I agree. I can certainly understand trying to get a degree as cheaply as possible. In fact that’s what 90% of us (myself included) on here are either doing , researching, or have done. But to put your hard earned time and money into something that isn’t “RA” or at the least “NA” is doing yourself a disservice. Certainly a year or two or more of your time is worth more than a couple of thousand bucks.

My grandpa always said “buy cheap , buy twice “. It definitely relates to a lot of things.

Everything is ultimately a trade-off. You’ll never get everything you want, in terms of cost, location, accreditation, reputation, time to completion, travel requirements, etc. 

I was disappointed Upgrad offered this. They had partnered with some decent places, Arizona, Deakin, LJMU, the kind of places that offer degrees that would travel anywhere. This isn’t even a real doctorate at home.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Courcelles's post:
  • rachel83az
(02-05-2022, 01:06 PM)asianphd Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 12:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 07:25 AM)asianphd Wrote: MBA and DBA are not academic degrees, they are professional degrees. Almost any institution could legally confer that degree, especially in European countries. The value and prestige of that degree are purely in the eye of the beholder.

That's not how it works in the US. That's probably where many of the issues stem from. Everything isn't viewed the same from around the world. Many people who immigrate to the US find that their degrees aren't valid here. You can be a doctor in another country and come here and find yourself not only not able to practice medicine but that your degrees aren't even enough to get you into med school. Same holds true for many professions here.

Yes. That's why some of my Indian friends had a problem with that. Some bachelor's in India is 3 years. Depending on the home university, the degree can be evaluated as USA 4 year bachelor's degree or not. But most often Indian 3 years Bachelor's + 2 years Master's only evaluated as 4 years Bachelor Degree + 1-year graduate study.

Some European countries don't regulate MBA DBA and other professional qualifications at all. So they are perfectly legal.

If I study a MBA in India, it wouldn´t be recognized as a MBA in the US?
(02-08-2022, 01:56 AM)MrPanda Wrote: If I study a MBA in India, it wouldn´t be recognized as a MBA in the US?

This is a simple question with a complicated answer. Recognized by who? Companies for employment purposes? Universities for further education? The average person on the street? It all depends.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(02-08-2022, 09:14 AM)Flelm Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 01:56 AM)MrPanda Wrote: If I study a MBA in India, it wouldn´t be recognized as a MBA in the US?

This is a simple question with a complicated answer. Recognized by who? Companies for employment purposes? Universities for further education? The average person on the street? It all depends.

I was thinking about the evaluators, in order to apply to a DBA.
If that's the case, I would 100% do my research before signing up for a program. You probably even want to speak to the universities where you want to do your DBA.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • MrPanda, ss20ts
(02-08-2022, 10:11 AM)Flelm Wrote: If that's the case, I would 100% do my research before signing up for a program. You probably even want to speak to the universities where you want to do your DBA.

Seconding this. For instance, UofArkansas will apparently accept an ENEB degree for at least one of their Doctoral programs. But not all universities will feel the same.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda
In short this DBA/Phd is worthless.
Now if you want to know why, continue reading. They are not on the list https://www.swissuniversities.ch/en/topi...stitutions , and from what i gathered they opened shop in 2019 march. ( i have to say they are well funded you could say too well funded)
Because they do not hold the Swiss Federal accreditation they have no ties to any University or College, which means they can not award doctoral degrees (wording is here everything).
So you ask your self how do the Swiss allow this, i dont know but this is what they say in the Geneva Canton, https://www.ge.ch/en/authorizations-open...te-schools

"According to the Federal act on the Funding and Coordination of the Higher Education Sector (HEdA), the designations "university", "university of applied Sciences" or "university of teacher education" and derived designations such as "university college" or "UAS college" can only be used by private institutions that have been institutionally accredited by the Swiss Agency for accreditation and quality assurance (AAQ). For further information : http://www.aaq.ch.

In general, private establishments as well as the diplomas that they award are not recognized by the Swiss Confederation nor by the Canton of Geneva. The authorization to operate cannot therefore be considered as recognition or certification."
..but i did get a response from the Canton saying if anyone feels cheated they will help out the best they could when dealing with these type of "schools".
At the very best they can award diplomas /but dba/phd do not fall under that category and no you are not getting the Dr in front of your name then. And i tracked back the University/EFZG College in Croatia about SSBM Geneva they referred me to; https://www.efzg.unizg.hr/international-...ents/15448 ..no Swiss on the list.
Harry it seems to me that you put way to much effort into finding out something obvious, they are not a state-recognized school in Switzerland.
Becoming a state-recognized university in Switzerland is very difficult by the way, but thats another story.

However ssbm claims to be ACBSP accredited so i wouldn't call their courses of study completely wortless.
They claim to be "members," which is different than accreditation.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Flelm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing the Right PhD Program Education / Hospitality (online) Frost87b3 5 136 5 hours ago
Last Post: Frost87b3
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 5 272 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 4,157 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  advice sought on doctoral program EducationSeeker 9 1,281 10-29-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Harry101
Question Absolute cheapest online JD program? Randyb100 22 13,252 10-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: nkout1983
  Cost of South College DBA program? EducationSeeker 16 2,828 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University Doctor of Technology Program JTP 12 3,718 05-10-2023, 03:20 PM
Last Post: JTP
  South College - EdD Program jb0433 19 4,273 03-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: cc95
  Is a DNP to PhD program the best path ? xspect 3 739 10-30-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  First Hybrid Optometry Program in U.S. Possibly Coming sanantone 0 775 01-13-2022, 11:24 AM
Last Post: sanantone