Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
part time jobs...
What are some part time jobs that you have now or in the past that you liked? Why did you like them? What are ones you didn't like? Why didn't you like it?

I'm just looking to see what is out there for part time jobs...
Cleps Passed:

Information Systems & Computer Applications - 64
Spanish - 58
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 71
Principles of Macroeconomics - 53
Principles of Microeconomics - 61
Introductory Sociology - 54
Calculus - 51
Biology - 67
This past year, I made a few spare bucks working as a cashier at a grocery store during the holiday season. While it is far from glamorous, the discount on necessities was very nice for the budget and made it easier to overlook some of the less appealing characteristics of the job.

I've been looking into picking up odd jobs as an independent contractor on oDesk.com as well. The variety of options is amazing, and since they are all work-at-home tasks, you get to pick and choose what works for you (i.e., if you need flexible right now, stick to fixed price jobs rather than hourly where they may want to dictate parts of your schedule). I'm still researching, but I get a bit more tempted each time I glance at it.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
While I have not used this site myself, I did read about it a while ago. They work with employers in your area to provide classes which can improve your chances of being hired at the participating companies.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
When I worked in EMS I always had one or two part-time jobs. I was a limousine chauffeur for many years and loved it, it is great money if you can be nice and still handle drunks and brush off strange requests. I worked as a mystery shopper for a few years and some shops were nice, but it is a lot of paperwork for very little money. I also worked as undercover store security for AAFES, the military store system. My first job was as a marketing research person at the local mall. I would have to convince shoppers to answer my survey and maybe qualify to sample a product or view a video. Then I had to record their responses and ask questions meant to draw out more specific info. It was interesting, but you have to have a thick skin and be outgoing, as it was productivity based. My least favorite part-time job was as a cashier in a clothing store. Most women would be thrilled to work in a women's clothing store to get access to the newest fashions for a discount, but I hated it. It was a minimum wage job where people treated you badly and customers left such a mess in the dressing rooms. I have done normal jobs such as waitressing and cashiering, but I thought these would be some different ideas to consider.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I've had the odd part-time job since I retired from full-time work (at 50) 20 years ago. My 30 years of full-time gigs had been (mostly) as skiptracer / debt collector.

My most interesting part-time job was at a Community College, where I was also a student (age around 60) at the time. My job was to "find" long-lost alumni, to invite them to their 25-year reunions. Some were still in their home-town, others were continents away. Nice change to "find" people for a pleasant reason!

My last part-time job was as a security guard at a public Art Gallery. I quit at 65 because I could. Pension day! Smile Not a great job, absolutely pittance-level wages, but a good learning experience - I was able to expand my knowledge of art considerably. It's not great now, but it was infinitesimal before!

Based on the difference between what I earned and what I think I should have earned, that "art appreciation course" might have cost me thousands. Hmmm - they're exhibiting a small Georges Braque still-life I've long had my eye on. Maybe I could kinda, um.... sneak up on it.... Smile Smile (I jest, of course!)

Johann
freddy Wrote:What are some part time jobs that you have now or in the past that you liked? Why did you like them? What are ones you didn't like? Why didn't you like it?

I'm just looking to see what is out there for part time jobs...

Best- banquet server. Not too physical, not too mental Smile Good tips, mostly weekend work, 6-8 hours and you don't bring it home with you. People are generally celebrating a happy occasion. I don't think I ever worked a banquet that I brought home less than $100 cash.
Second best- writing a book Smile
Hated- unit secretary for a hospital.
My current part time/sometimes full time job is bartending. I say part time/full time because I'm only scheduled for about 18 hours per week but if I want to work more all I have to do is ask who wants off and there's always a volunteer.

Pros:

Very, very flexible schedule.
I leave with cash after every shift.
The connections made with regular guests. A lot of them are a real hoot. When I was apartment hunting no less than 3 offered to rent me a place they owned.
It can be hard work, but there is no stress to take home. Once I'm out the door I don't think about work again until the next shift.
You get front row seats to blind internet dates all the time. Quite possibly my favorite part of the job.

Cons:

Late nights
The way some people act in public is nothing short of appaling.
It can be tough on your body after a while
If a large group comes in and takes up your entire bar for a few hours and leaves a low tip, you don't make any money
The hourly wage (at least in MA) is $2.63, which you dont even see because it gets swept away to taxes.
Which brigs me to...taxes. You really need to put away money throughout the year to pay the feds, because the 2.63/hr they take isnt nearly enough to cover what youll owe. I've also heard that servers and bartenders have a higher chance of being audited, but I dont know if its true or not.

I've also worked in a nursing home kitchen/dining room. The residents were awesome but we only saw the. For an hour or two per day, the rest of the day was mixing up super calorie dense mashed potatoes and then scrubbing the pots. I wouldnt reccommend it. But if you ever need to know how to pack a solid 400 calories into a scoop of taters I'm your girl ;-)
I delivered newspapers when I was in my late teens. It put a lot of stress on my car, but I was able to write off the gas spent and depreciation of my car's value on my taxes. I loved my route because it wasn't too large. I only had about a hundred houses to do which took 3-4 hours.

I also had a part-time telemarketing job when I was in high school and a part-time telemarketing job in my early twenties. These were awful. A lot of people were rude and there was always the pressure to perform at a certain level or you would be terminated in a heartbeat.

Another part-time job I had was driving a transit bus. I liked my job when I had good routes. The bad routes made me miserable. For a little while, I worked security at a parking garage part-time until I moved to a full-time position. Working in the parking booth was very low-stress. I had a routine. I would listen to Kidd Kraddick, then Glenn Beck before he became crazy and polarizing, and I would sometimes read the newspaper which the client provided for us.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Window Cleaning! Yes it pays a pittance ($2 per pane) but given the right clients and routes it produces a small regular income some of which I'll be using to pay for CLEP's ect. It's something that the basics can be learned fairly quickly. If anyone on the forum would like to learn I'd be delighted to swap a few CLEP books for a video window washing course I'm compiling. The only condition being that you aren't in Northern Illinois since I've got to eat Smile The cost of entry varies from about $80 - $4,000 (if you want a full time business) Window cleaning profits are based on speed but a small regular income that you can listen to lectures while you do it is achievable. Never buy a franchise in this business as your ROI can take a long time.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
I worked on a raisin farm in the summer when I was a teen, and quickly came to the conclusion that I had no desire to EVER become a farmer or a migrant. I'm way too lazy.

I also sold newspapers door-to-door and candy door-to-door (after quitting the newspaper job). I actually learned something at this job -- high pressure sales where you don't take no for an answer actually works.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Rule: Whoa, Canada | Real Time with Bill Maher LevelUP 3 128 04-14-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 496 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 454 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,134 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Would you keep a part time job listed on your LinkedIn Vle045 3 821 04-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 622 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 691 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  650,000 jobs Alpha 20 2,336 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Who's applying for jobs? Amazon's hiring! bjcheung77 8 1,675 12-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Full-time...to internship??? amaquiling 9 1,372 11-13-2020, 02:36 PM
Last Post: AwardTour