Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which school and why
I was considering a degree through TESC but was wondering, if all of "the 3" have the degree I am looking for, is there one "better" than the other? What made you choose who you did?

Thanks
Toni
I'm quoting MomOfMany's signature: Need help deciding which of the big 3 to use? Then go look at Awesome Alissa's Pros/Cons of the Big 3 Comparison.
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
I chose TESC specifically for it's Bachelor of Science Business Administration / Computer Information Systems degree. The cost is free for me (military tuition assistance), I already have all the CIS credits from my CCAF degree (17 year old military tech school courses FTW), and I also picked up some management/leadership credits from CCAF as well that fit in nicely. I was torn between a computer science degree (too tough on math) and business (wanted to learn business concepts, but seems too soft). BSBA CIS was "just right" for me. Smile

For the general "BA" degrees and such, it really comes down to what YOU want. If cost is the issue, compare cost breakdowns for the same degree at each school. If speed and customer service is important, well then TESC and Excelsior are automatically ruled out. If free FEMAs are important, then Excelsior and COSC are ruled out -- but you'll pay more in annual fee to TESC in exchange.

We all make our decisions for personal reasons, and no two of us have the same reasons. It really all depends on what is important to you.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
purpleteen Wrote:I'm quoting MomOfMany's signature: Need help deciding which of the big 3 to use? Then go look at Awesome Alissa's Pros/Cons of the Big 3 Comparison.

Another good comparison here:
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post89347
I know you're not asking about COSC, but if you're looking to save money and also break up the cost, you might want to think about it. Overall total spend won't be a lot less than TESC, but you don't have to pay a big lump sum tuition bill like you do with TESC, so it could be helpful.

Here is a thread I started a while back:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...s+answered
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
For me, I picked TESC because (at the time) you could use 200 level DSST exams as upper level- not the case anymore.

I would say that TESC has 1 single advantage over the other two, and that's their acceptance of 27 FEMAs. In other words, the whole free elective category can be obtained in (essentially) a week for no cost. For some people, that's a huge deal either due to time/money, or simply the mental gains that come with knocking out almost a year's worth of college before you even enroll- and for no cost. People who have a lot of prior credit, especially in fields that will come in as free electives anyway, are not going to be excited about this- but for someone starting from scratch, it's a great deal.

I think if anyone is planning on testing out of their degree entirely (and using ALEKS & SL) then it's simply a question of money. Which option is the cheapest? That's a math problem that shouldn't take you more than an hour to figure out based on what you are coming in with.

If you are planning on taking classes, you might want to ask around and investigate your options. TESC, for instance, doesn't offer most classes necessary for most degrees. That can be a huge pain for people using financial aid.
cookderosa Wrote:For me, I picked TESC because (at the time) you could use 200 level DSST exams as upper level- not the case anymore.

Uh oh. Do you have some kind of link to send me to for info on this? Suddenly I am wondering if my degree plan needs to be changed. Is there a way to differentiate between 200 level DSST's and higher level? Or are NO DSSTs considered UL by TESC anymore?
Thanks!
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
here:

Undergraduate Ways to Earn Credit - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
After having taken B&M butt-in-the-seat courses, online courses, independent study courses and exams for credit, I can say for certain that testing out is the path of least resistance and should be your emphasis unless the option isn't available for the class(es) you need or your study skills and initiative are poor and you require the guidance and deadlines of a structured course.
HIS-309-DE An Introduction to the Modern Middle East (3) 47
HIS-351-DE A History of the Vietnam War (3) 44
HIS-386-DE Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (3) 45

So I am okay because these tests are equivalent to 300 level courses? I hope? Thanks for the link. I have a few months before I am close enough to the 6 month window to have my transcript evaluated. I'd hate to take a bunch of tests that won't count where I want them to, but I'd also hate to spend $75 now, then have to do it again later. I guess it's cheaper than paying for a test I don't need. Smile
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying to PA school ashtonnewman 18 4,031 08-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,463 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,731 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,338 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Need Help - School that awards 60 credit general Asscociate Degree Synicaal 9 2,506 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Which school accepts FEMA? collegechick 13 9,222 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  How many donate to their school as alumni? Life Long Learning 7 2,276 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  I'm finished and grad school encouragement bannerfield 8 2,664 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  anyone had an issue applying for Grad school with a TESU degree? CM1999 5 3,248 07-09-2017, 04:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Best school to transfer NYPD Academy transcript mdel210201 30 9,932 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: mdel210201