Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which school and why
I can think of a few TESC advantages.

1. TESC does not require an introductory course or capstone for most degree programs, so you can completely test out of a degree.

2. TESC is actually cheaper than the other two if you're taking a lot of online courses and elected the Comprehensive Tuition Plan.

3. TESC offers several more options for earning credit: TECEPs, e-Packs, and FlashTracks.

4. I believe TESC accepts more DSSTs and CLEPs as 300/400 level courses.

5. TESC will accept community college courses as upper level as long as their course descriptions are close to those of TESC courses.

6. TESC only requires 18 upper level credits.

7. TESC gives the best initial evaluations.

8. TESC does not require an information literacy/technology course.

The only disadvantages I can think of is that TESC does not give credit for GRE subject tests like COSC does, but TESC does accept FEMAs which are free and easy and they accept them directly. Some schools require that you transcribe them through another school which can get really expensive. TESC kind of does have a limited number of courses, but COSC is even worse in that respect. Oh, and TESC probably has the worst customer service out of the three. But I can tell you, as someone who was transferring a lot of credits, TESC was my only option for finishing quickly. It's easier to choose one of the schools when you're starting fresh because you can follow their degree programs with testing. Excelsior's programs just aren't flexible enough and a lot of my credits would have been wasted. I applied at all three schools and TESC accepted the most credits without downgrading my UL courses. Excelsior accepted half the credits the other two did and COSC downgraded my UL courses. On top of that; it would have been almost impossible for me to earn UL credit in psychology without taking COSC courses, enrolling into another school, or spending $250 per ECE (some of them are cheaper now). With TESC, I was able to stay at my CC (which is super cheap and has really quick terms) and earn UL credit.

I forgot, TESC has more expensive annual fees if you're under their a la carte Enrollment Option tuition plan and TESC does not give grades for tests or transferred courses. You will have no GPA if you don't take an online or guided study course with TESC. For some people, that could be an advantage though. COSC does require 6 English credits unlike what it says in one of those links and Excelsior now requires 6 too. Another thing that's wrong in one of those links is the UL credits COSC requires. COSC requires 30, not 15. These things probably weren't wrong at the time, they're just outdated now. EC does require a capstone course for every degree program. TESC's capstone for business programs is not much of a hassle because you can test out of it with a TECEP or transfer a similar course from another school. You can't transfer in or test out of the capstones at the other schools.
burbuja0512 Wrote:I know you're not asking about COSC, but if you're looking to save money and also break up the cost, you might want to think about it. Overall total spend won't be a lot less than TESC, but you don't have to pay a big lump sum tuition bill like you do with TESC, so it could be helpful.

Here is a thread I started a while back:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...s+answered

If the up-front TESC cost is a concern then I completely agree, and COSC made a great competitive move by lowering their costs the way they did. That makes a COSC degree much more attractive to budget-conscious degree seekers.

If I had to pay the up-front fee then TESC would almost certainly be out. Especially since it would have to be paid annually, at out of state rate, with no guarantee you could complete your degree in the first year. Ouch.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
[Image: ExcelsiorCollegeSeal.png]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Purple"]Wait for it.......

[SIZE="7"]That's Why!!![/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
:iagree:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:
[Image: ExcelsiorCollegeSeal.png]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Purple"]Wait for it.......

[SIZE="7"]That's Why!!![/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
:iagree:
You are so biased!!! lol jk hilarious hilarious
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
FinancialWorld Wrote:You are so biased!!! lol jk hilarious hilarious

That always makes me laugh, too! Except as a fellow-EC student/alumnus, I consider it to be his unbiased opinion as the forum moderator and wonder how many EC logos he could fit into his truly biased response! Way to go Shoto!

--------

To the original poster - Each of the Big 3 has their own pros and cons depending on your personal situation, needs, and goals. Learn about all of them and choose the best one for you.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
This is a very timely discussion as it bears upon my current situation. I have applied to both TESC & Excelsior and am awaiting their evaluation of my credits. I have 105 credits and have stopped testing until I am sure how my credits fit into their schemas. I will be pursuing a Social Studies BA at TESC or a History BA at Excelsior depending on the outcome of these evaluations of my prior course work & testing.

Speaking in favor of TESC is the lack of a capstone course requirement which leads to a faster way to achieve a degree (in my situation), a less expensive degree due in a large part to the FEMA credit policy, and a touted more liberal Upper Division credit granting policy. The lack of a bona fide GPA at TESC is the main reason I am also applying at Excelsior. I could take a 1 credit course on Pride&Prejudice for a phony gpa, but that would delay my graduation by 3 months.

Excelsior gives grades for many DSST tests which is a positive for me. They also include your B&M credits in your total gpa as well as a gpa specific to Excelsior credits, which includes the graded ECE's. The up front costs are less at Excelsior, although the lack of FEMA credits and the 30 credit Upper Division requirement makes it a more expensive degree (in History) at the end of the road. It appears the much maligned American Dream ECE is now defunct so one can no longer test out of a history BA at Excelsior using just CLEP, DSST & ECE exams.

I do intend on applying to grad school so a real gpa is an issue. I am applying to California State U Dominguez Hills which requires a minimum 3.2gpa for the last 60 credits earned. As an aside, CSU-DH has some online only Masters programs that are a good value at around $10k for California residents.

I will base my decision on how TESC & Excelsior evaluate my credits as well as how much I value the 3 months I will save by enrolling at TESC. The cost difference in my case is about $1k higher at Excelsior.

I previously posted a degree plan for a BA in Social Studies at TESC. Here I have attached my BA in History at plan at Excelsior. Doing these degree plans has really helped me to clarify the pros and cons of each institutions graduation requirements.

As previously stated on this thread, the choice depends on your particular situation and how much you value the benefits of each school's differences. It appears some people here choose not to choose and enroll at both schools!

Partisanship aside, neither school has made it to the Final Four recently so you probably wont see either one in next years bracket. If rooting for your alma mater matters to you, you might want to look at Gonzaga.

Attached Files
.xls   Less than 1 minute ago">BA History degree plan Excelsior.xls (Size: 37 KB / Downloads: 5)
"As surely as there is a god in heaven, I am an atheist." Mark Twain

ECE
Social Psych (A(8/12),Psych of A&A (A(8/12), Abnormal Psych (A(7/12) Research Methods In Psychology(A(11/12)
DSST
6/11 Introduction to World Religions(472) 6/11 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (75) 7/11 A History of the Vietnam War (78) 7/11 Substance Abuse (468) 7/11 Intro Modern Middleast (80) 7/11 Fundamentals of Counseling (69) 9/11 Civil War & Reconstruction (74) 9/11Environment & Humanity (69) 11/11 Here's To Your Health (472) 11/11 Ethics In America (467) 6/12 Organizational Behavior (69)
CLEP
7/11 A&I Lit (72) 7/11 Social Sciences and History (70) 7/11Humanities(76) 7/11 American Government(73) 7/11 College Mathematics(64) 7/11English Lit(73) 7/11Intro to Educ Psych (70) 7/11Human Growth & Dev. (65) 6/12 College Comp Modular(64) 4/13 Sociology (64)

BSLS Excelsior College 12/12 (GPA 3.87) Ewald Nyquist Award Winner
At first I was 100% sure I was going to Excelsior until I found out TESC will take more of my credit and apply as upper level. However, I will be doing a degree with Excelsior as well.

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
Waldorfteacher Wrote:I do intend on applying to grad school so a real gpa is an issue.

At least some grad schools do not care about a GPA. Ask other members of the forum here who are now going through grad school.

But if it is necessary, it sounds like you already answered the question, namely take a BS course for 3 months to get a GPA. Nothing is free, and if you want to go to grad school and that is a hard requirement then that may be the price you have to pay.

Unless you can get a GPA from Excelsior using the DSST tests? Not sure, but if so that would be at least a cheaper route.

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Waldorfteacher Wrote:I could take a 1 credit course on Pride&Prejudice ...

please...tell me that such a course exists...hilarious
Bucket Lister Wrote:please...tell me that such a course exists...hilarious

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying to PA school ashtonnewman 18 4,029 08-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,462 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,731 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,338 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Need Help - School that awards 60 credit general Asscociate Degree Synicaal 9 2,506 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Which school accepts FEMA? collegechick 13 9,220 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  How many donate to their school as alumni? Life Long Learning 7 2,275 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  I'm finished and grad school encouragement bannerfield 8 2,663 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  anyone had an issue applying for Grad school with a TESU degree? CM1999 5 3,248 07-09-2017, 04:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Best school to transfer NYPD Academy transcript mdel210201 30 9,932 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: mdel210201